Damaged..............

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Just come to this......what a bummer.
This scenario is a nightmare which is why I trouble to get agreed values for my MBs.
I have had my SL500 from new and I keep it well sorted but it has done 156k miles (fewer at renewal last September). Obviously I know everything there is to know about the car as do my insurers because I keep a very comprehensive electronic diary which I send to them each year at renewal time.
Anyway for your information the agreed value on my SL is £15k which I admit is good.
Good luck with your negotiations.

Mic

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
It would seem from earlier posts that an agreed value only works when the claim is on your own insurance, not when a claim is against another insurer. Assuming I've not got the wrong end of the stick.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Just come to this......what a bummer.
This scenario is a nightmare which is why I trouble to get agreed values for my MBs.
I have had my SL500 from new and I keep it well sorted but it has done 156k miles (fewer at renewal last September). Obviously I know everything there is to know about the car as do my insurers because I keep a very comprehensive electronic diary which I send to them each year at renewal time.
Anyway for your information the agreed value on my SL is £15k which I admit is good.
Good luck with your negotiations.

Mic

Unfortunately, Mic it's an agreed value until you have the misfortune to raise a claim - when all the "Ah but's" get pulled out of the cupboard!

00slk I'm really sorry you have this issue and hope you get a satisfactory conclusion. The insurance business has such a "dirty" tag now and understandably we are all tempted to shop around at renewal time (which is yet another can of worms!) and I find it pretty infuriating that while most of us are decent and honest and try to be covered for all eventualities at a reasonable cost, but the insurers are allowed to use their own judgment over the meaning of a "fair value".

Last edited:

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I bet all insurance companies know what a fair value is, they do their research and then low ball you :mad: I don't believe that they are as incompetent as their offers suggest.

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
I bet all insurance companies know what a fair value is, they do their research and then low ball you :mad: I don't believe that they are as incompetent as their offers suggest.
They're only incompetent when it's to their advantage. Selective incompetence in fact. ****** crooks I'm afraid !

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
And that's exactly my argument with the op's insurer, all we want is to be put back in the same position we were in before the incident. ;)
Yep two of the very basic principles of insurance - utmost good faith and that of indemnity - seem to be largely forgotten in the modern world of insurance.

OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
All now done and dusted, we ended up pretty near our original figure we asked for :cool:
Thanks guys for some of the pointers and advice, much appreciated, obliviously worked in our favour ;)
Car now replaced and the wife happy to be back behind the wheel of her own car again........Albeit another SL500, though I tried tempting her into an SL55 but she knows how much these cost to run :rolleyes:

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
All now done and dusted, we ended up pretty near our original figure we asked for :cool:
Thanks guys for some of the pointers and advice, much appreciated, obliviously worked in our favour ;)
Car now replaced and the wife happy to be back behind the wheel of her own car again........Albeit another SL500, though I tried tempting her into an SL55 but she knows how much these cost to run :rolleyes:
Brilliant news glad you got it sorted in your favour, I hate seeing people being bullied into accepting less than they are entitled!

Hope your wife enjoys the replacement as much as the previous.

Mercedes SL500 R231

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I've seen no pictures of this new SL500. :D

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Well done 00slk
I hope swmbo enjoys her car and well done bot for percy verance!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I also recall the interior on the old one was cream.

OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Very good detective work chaps :D

The exterior colour according to the order is Green Black, have no idea what they call this colour. It appears black and with the sunlight is blue and other times it's green? :eek: The same colour interior as the 55. Again no extras fitted, apart from the Lingatronic. Just a same we could get a Jasper blue colour again, but as Janet said, 'I'll get used to the colour.' :rolleyes:
Still it isn't a patch on the smoothness of the old SL500's ride.
Up to date service book.
Also 2 ABC pumps within a short period of time.......Even new main dealership MB pumps can fail within months ;)
The old SL is being collected next week :(
All in all seems a reasonable replacement with 4700 miles to next service and 7 MB Stamps, last one at Welwyn Merx.
Fingers crossed we get a good run out of this one like her old 500 :)

Top Bottom