Dashboard Instrument Cluster FAIL

tomba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 w202 Elegance Auto/1996/45k miles
Hi. I know there have been other postings but can someone please point me in the right direction.
C200 Elegance 1996.
Firstly my petrol gauge went 'wonky' up...down...up and so on.
I had battery issues (discharging) so had to recharge/ reconnect it a few times. New battery now fitted.

Now.... petrol gauge still up/down, speedometer & odometer stopped working ....ABS, Low Brake Fluid and Parking Brake lights stay on when driving. :Oops:

I read elsewhere that it may be "over voltage protection relay" needing replaced? Is this a generic relay (part 0015420219)?

Anyone had same or similar and succeeded in sorting it please? :confused:
Many thanks.

OP
T

tomba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Weird....but today, after 2 weeks of non-function.....i had the fan on at '2' to demist and lo and behold the instruments started working again. Then after i'd parked i drove off and...failure....fan on, 500 yards later...WORKING!
What's going on?

OP
T

tomba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Still working!

All dashboard lights/ dials etc are now still working (apart from the erratic petrol gauge needle!).
I'd also taken the dashboard out (not fully as the steering wheel is non-adjustable and it stuck!)...wonder if it was a loose connection which i'd managed to secure better?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Sorry you have been alone on your thread, but yes some of the very power current signal pins can make a poor connection and just by removing and re inserting it can clear the fault, I would have used a non drying switch cleaner while I was at it

OP
T

tomba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An update....it's STILL working....apart from the erratic fuel guage!
Tom

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
That could be the float in the tank, try some injection cleaner in the tank.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom