Dashcam hardwired fitting in C43 AMG convertible

SHA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 AMG Convertible 3.0L 4MATIC AWD 2018
I would like to fit a hardwired dashcam to my 2018 C43 AMG convertible (W205), without inadvertantly damaging any of the trims. I have found plenty of instructions on YouTube but they are all for the saloon (W204 or W205) and not the convertible - they have a cover over the A pillar which you can carefully remove, however on a convertible there is no cover and the trim is in one section top to bottom and I cannot see a safe way of removing it.

If anyone has succeeded in fitting a hardwired dashcam to this model I would be very grateful to learn what to do.

Thanks in advance
Steve

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Not your specific car ... on the cars I've fitted dash cams to, I've just left the trim in situ & tucked the cable in at the edge, ran it along the top of the screen and down the A pillar and found a way through to under the dash.

OP
S

SHA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks EmilysDad for your suggestion, which is how I have always fitted dashcams to my previous cars, last one being SLC300 AMG, and the wiring (power cable and rear camera camera), as you say, easily tucks under the edge of the trim out of sight.

However, on this C43 the trim is unusually tight and not at all flexible, which is good for looks but is not good for fitting dashcams! In fact it is the tightest on any car I have seen and you cannot lift it or tuck cables under, hence me asking if any one had actual experience with fitting one to this particular convertible model. (If it was not convertible you can run the wire across the top section along the roof line.) I have asked a few local auto electricians and fitters but have drawn a blank hence the reason for my post.

Thanks again
Steve

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
The guys at Comand Online down in Surrey fit a lot of DashCams. I’ll tag @Alfie as he may have a suggestion.

OP
S

SHA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Srdi for following this up for me.
Steve

DeeEmm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI ESTATE 2012
I have fitted a couple of dash cams in the past and have always managed to get the cable under the trim ( it went on so must come off).
Or maybe you could take power from the interior light.

OP
S

SHA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
@John, thanks for the useful link to the mbclub. The chap there points out that the switched fuses are in the boot - nowhere else. The ones in the lower passenger footwell are permanently powered as I have found (which I do not want to use so as to prevent draining the battery) and there are no fuses either side of the dashboard which some posters seem to think exist as they are confusing the C43 with other C range models.

As per DeeEmm I have fitted many in the past and always managed to release the trim or push the wires behind, but in this and only this particular case the problem still remains on how to hide the 2 cables going down the A pillar as it is fitted extremely tightly against the glass and is rock solid. I do not know how to remove it as it is one piece and not a clip on section as some people seem to think when comparing it to others in the C range.

I bet that if it was an old Lada, there would be plenty of gaps!

Thanks
Steve

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Where's Our old friend Malcom when you need him ?

There would be a how to MB download winging its way towards you if he was still about.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
@John, thanks for the useful link to the mbclub. The chap there points out that the switched fuses are in the boot - nowhere else. The ones in the lower passenger footwell are permanently powered as I have found (which I do not want to use so as to prevent draining the battery) and there are no fuses either side of the dashboard which some posters seem to think exist as they are confusing the C43 with other C range models.

As per DeeEmm I have fitted many in the past and always managed to release the trim or push the wires behind, but in this and only this particular case the problem still remains on how to hide the 2 cables going down the A pillar as it is fitted extremely tightly against the glass and is rock solid. I do not know how to remove it as it is one piece and not a clip on section as some people seem to think when comparing it to others in the C range.

I bet that if it was an old Lada, there would be plenty of gaps!

Thanks
Steve
Is the 12V socket not ignition switched? Get a feed off the back of that

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Have a look on the Bay for a Nextbase Camera hard wiring kit which includes a piggyback terminal which lets you draw power from just about anywhere - you still have to fit the wire in somehow but at least you'll have more flexibility for very little £'s.

My cameras (front and rear) were wired in using one of these leads from an ignition controlled terminal on the fuse box.

Top Bottom