Dashcam - use of Mercedes camera.

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Been thinking of getting a dashcam for quite a while, but difficult to find good quality and discrete (and cheap). :confused:

It occurred to me that the Mercedes camera used for "Lane Assist" and "Speed Limit Assist" must be on all the time when driving - so would there be a way of hooking up a recorder to this camera instead of buying another of doubtful quality?

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Been thinking of getting a dashcam for quite a while, but difficult to find good quality and discrete (and cheap). :confused:

It occurred to me that the Mercedes camera used for "Lane Assist" and "Speed Limit Assist" must be on all the time when driving - so would there be a way of hooking up a recorder to this camera instead of buying another of doubtful quality?

I'm liking this - my camera gives a pin sharp image, though only in black and white, and it only works at night, so some changes would be required.

I'd be interested, if it were possible, though I guess recording the data may be tricky.

OP
tode

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
It occurred to me after the car was on Star recently - while scanning through the car's functions, there came up a crystal-clear picture of the garage, from the MB camera.

And I would imagine that it must be quite wide-angle to capture the speed limit signs.

I have no idea where one could find a recorder that records in loop though.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I'm liking this - my camera gives a pin sharp image, though only in black and white, and it only works at night, so some changes would be required.

I'd be interested, if it were possible, though I guess recording the data may be tricky.

id imagine hooking up to a hard drive that ran in tandem with the camera would do the trick, John

OP
tode

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
It also occurs to me that Mercedes are missing a trick here - everything is ready in these cars, just needs a little recorder tucked away somewhere.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
theyre a good idea BUT it does make me wonder about the legalities of such systems as, in essence, you are SECRETLY (unlike CCTV) filming people (as you travel etc) WITHOUT their consent

Here the car park attendants have such cameras in their vehicles or attached to their uniform etc in case of assault or other issues, BUT the ones in their vehicles are CLEARLY LABELLED that the vehicle has video recording equipment fitted and in use!

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
There are no legal issues with filming people in public places, it's what one does with the footage that can cause issues.

Aftermarket dash-cams are being supported by the Police (unofficially)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes the camera used in the front screen could be switched to drive another source, not so hard to do, and a possible dummy load to stop warnings coming up. The camera will have a standard PAL output.

OP
tode

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Yes the camera used in the front screen could be switched to drive another source, not so hard to do, and a possible dummy load to stop warnings coming up. The camera will have a standard PAL output.

Hi Malcolm: Would you have to disconnect the camera from the lane & speed recognition part, or would it be possible to "share" the signal?

I presume that the signal is analysed in the Comand unit?

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270cdi Avantgarde
If someone can work out how to get the feed out then something like this (quick search only, probably many choices out there) would do the job:

2-Channel-Car-DVR-SD-Card-Recording

1.jpg

3.jpg

Dave

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcolm: Would you have to disconnect the camera from the lane & speed recognition part, or would it be possible to "share" the signal?

I presume that the signal is analysed in the Comand unit?

Is there any way to view what the camera is seeing when in the speed and white line are being used. The only snag being that that if there is a mode where its possible to see that would have to be left switched on.

Comand has no video out, so nothing from there other than the rear screen option.

The best way would be to use a standard PAL video split amp from the camera, leaving one output coupled as it was to the Comand or night vision and the other to your video recording device.

I will give this some thought as I have a camera in my car for the night vision

Camera's just need a plus feed and a ground.

OP
tode

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Is there any way to view what the camera is seeing when in the speed and white line are being used. The only snag being that that if there is a mode where its possible to see that would have to be left switched on.

Comand has no video out, so nothing from there other than the rear screen option.

The best way would be to use a standard PAL video split amp from the camera, leaving one output coupled as it was to the Comand or night vision and the other to your video recording device.

I will give this some thought as I have a camera in my car for the night vision

Camera's just need a plus feed and a ground.

As far as I know, there is no way of showing the road image other than switching to night vision (at night ;) ), unlike the Audis where you can have the IR image in the day.

When the night vision is on, the lane & the speed assist still function, so it can do three things at once.

The camera must be on all the time, because the speed limit recognition works as soon as you start moving. (Afaik, lane assist is only active above 50 - 60 kph).

OP
tode

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Does it over write as well when full

Supposedly: "Supporting SD cards up to 32GB, this DVR can record in loop and overwrite old data automatically when the memory is full."

I've just been looking at the car again ( :D ), and with the housing for the night vision, the auto-wipers and all the other bits, there's really not much room to tuck away a webcam discretely without coming into the field of view.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As these camera's are so small there could be room for 2, I will take a look as soon as possible and they are so cheap to buy.

This is something that I could well do:D:D

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
Yeah well that device from eBay does have one very crappy "feature":

Video Resolution: 360x240

Yeah... well - at that resolution it's next to useless. 640 (x480) is base minimum, ideal is 720p. Full HD is somewhat overkill for most uses and takes up too much disk space... but 360x240 is what I had on my iPaq from 2001....

Another option if you have a phone cradle mounted on the windscreen is to use your smartphone as the dashcam. There are apps available that do just that. Video quality may not be too great, but it certainly is a very portable solution - no fiddling with (micro!) sd cards and the like - you have the recordings directly on the phone.

Frankly, what I think TomTom should do is offer a Video/Audio-in port on their nav devices, and sell a good camera as an extra for like say 50 quid. Would sell like hotcakes!

Triv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A brace of s210 1998 e300 turborustbuckets. Toyota HiLux Surf kzn185 3.0L
OP
tode

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Something like this?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=350766042930

Disconnect it's camera, piggyback off the wiring from your existing camera onto the board on the recorder, effectively replacing one camera with the other.
You could keep it in the glovebox or mount it so you can see the screen.

Could that be done?

Couln't get your link to work, but I've already thought about using a cheapish camera to do just that.

What I don't know, is what format the MB camera has. I had presumed that it must be fairly high definition in order to analyse the road signs, but this may not be the case . . .

Anyone any idea ?

Triv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A brace of s210 1998 e300 turborustbuckets. Toyota HiLux Surf kzn185 3.0L
I wondered that too.
I also wondered whether, if piggybacked onto existing wiring, the night motion trigger would trip the alarm.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom