1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daylight Robbery

Discussion in 'Motoring Related Discussion' started by Tony Dyson, May 11, 2019.

1. Tony Dyson

Tony Dyson Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
    I think we all knew it and while the cost of motoring is more than just fuel, but 13 times more expensive to travel by rail!

Travelling by train is up to 13 times more expensive than driving with a return from London to Manchester costing £327 - nearly TEN times the £33.97 fuel bill

•Current rail prices described as 'absolute rip-off' when compared to car or plane

•20 journeys around Britain at peak times show car as cheaper in every case

•Train journeys - when not delayed - are more expensive but are far quicker

Daily Mail article endorsed by Moneysaving expert.com

2. vtaylor78

vtaylor78 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350 CDI Coupe W207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
    I can’t think of anything worse than travelling anywhere by train.

3. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    I travel by train fairly often but almost always turn left :rolleyes:

If booked at the magical 12 weeks before travel date you can get a decent deal. I do it as a change from flying or driving.

Of the 3 driving is quickest and cheapest because it takes me to exactly where I want to go at a time that works for me.

I don’t have to be at Manchester airport 3 hours before departure to go through the hell that is the security check. I don’t have to stand on a freezing platform wondering if my train is going to arrive on time and am I likely to make my connection.

I don’t have to rely on buses of taxis for the rest of my week away and can stay longer and enjoy the scenery.

daibevan and Tony Dyson like this.
  4. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    I commute to Birmingham by train every day.
    4 Mile drive to station, £5 parking (now that is a rip off), £14 day return and 10 minute walk at the other end.
    By car it would be 50 miles each way so 2-4 gallons depending on vehicle + £10- £15 parking.
    Not much in it.
    Now if I get a weekly rail pass it becomes £9 per day for rail (weekly pass divided by 5) so a lot cheaper than car and I can watch a movie all the way there and back.

Tony Dyson likes this.
  5. OP
    Tony Dyson

Tony Dyson Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
    When I travelled the Country in my last job, I had a need at short notice to travel Leeds to Folkestone, Parking at Leeds City Station was £17:00 the journey was over £300.00 with 4 changes 2nd class open return, the first class price was over £500.00! I was late for my meeting and didn't get back home that night until approaching 22:00, with notice and as a regular user I've no doubt the costs would reduce but the experience and stress of such a journey I can happily live without. :shock:

6. keefysher

keefysher Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
    I did a gig based in Manchester. It was rail related. I used to drive up early Monday morning, 2.5 hrs door to door, return friday afternoon and be home for tea.

Some smartarse suggested I should travel by train as it was a rail bid. I did, the once. It took 9 hours door to door, so they paid me for a day on a train instead of work. It was £175 one way. I flew back for £35.

Remember train from Ashford to Waterloo East, for the privilege I sat in a p1ss filled seat on a commuter service.

If I travel by train to Londinium at peak time it costs 70p per mile to stand in a cattle car full of sweaty people.

I flew Emirates Business Class where a chauffeur collected me from home at a time of my choice, arriving at LHR, checking in and being in the gate lounge for drinks and a meal within an hour. Then boarded directly to the upper deck on an A380 for a flight to Dubai with drinks and meals. Arrived and cleared, got a chauffeured car to Atlantis on the Palm to stay the weekend in a suite. Chauffeured car back to the airport, Business Class check in, up to the lounge and board the next A380 direct to upper deck, onto Sydney where picked up a chauffeured car to hotel. 3 days later collected from hotel and BC check in and lounge before going to Auckland. Return to Auckland and spend best part of the afternoon in the BC lounge getting p1ssed, board and fly to Brisbane, chauffeur to hotel. Collected from cousins house by chauffeur, to airport, check in BC, to lounge for dinner and drinks, then overnight to Singapore. Chauffeur to hotel. Chauffeur collect from hotel to Changi. BC lounge for a meal and drinks, A380 upper deck to Dubai, then back to LHR with chauffeur to home. 8.9p per mile.

Next trip LHR/DXB/PER/BNE/SIN/DXB/LHR was 11.9p per mile

The more sectors the cheaper it becomes by flying.

Tony Dyson likes this.
  7. d215yq

d215yq Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    1987 W124 300D 250k
    Isn't this one where it depends what lines you are on and where your going...

My family's home has a 20 minute train direct to London Kings Cross, add in a connection and the 10 minutes walk to station either way and that's 1h to anywhere in central london. It's cheaper to drive (if you already have a car and magically have a parking space) but you wouldn't catch me doing 2h of queueing to save a few quid.

Here in Spain we have intercity trains that go at 320km/h - valencia to madrid direct centre to centre in 1h30 instead of 4h of boring motorway drive, and then queueing to get into Madrid and finding a parking space. The train is less than the diesel there at 50mpg unless you go friday evening/sunday evening when it's marginally more.

Once in any big city there is hardly any journey that is quicker by car than by underground. That said in any French/Spanish city I've been in you buy 10 journeys to anywhere for between 5 and 15€ so it's 0.50 to 1.50c per journey which just isn't even worth starting the engine for!

Having lived in many cities where cars aren't used to get around it's a shame the UK is so backwards in this respect, cars really don't make cities nice to be in, and i don't mean due to emissions. Instead of this ULEZ nonsense they should just tax 30 quid/journey in the zone on all cars except disabled/deliveries, no exceptions. BUT at all the underground stations on the edge there should be free car parks and then all public transport should be free or a token cost within the zone. That would really give the change they're after in reducing emissions and making cities nice to live in again.

8. McDonald

McDonald Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL500 2004
    I commute into London for about 35 weeks a year. The train service is terrible, late or cancelled at least one journey a week. The car parking and travel around £40 daily. I have no choice. Traffic makes the roads impossible and Central London car parking is over £30 a day.

I'm lucky because I live far enough out - I always get a seat in the morning. Anyone living nearer than Guildford is standing room only.

9. umblecumbuz

umblecumbuz Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S204 and CLC 204 cdi, other non-Merc machines
    All these tales make me glad that I no longer have a fixed schedule or destination.

I find flying little better than transporting cattle. Yes, some airlines feed you well, give you hot/cold towels depending on the area, and try to make your trip comfortable - but I much prefer my own car and the use of ships when travelling internationally.

The fun I've had on freighters, cargo vessels of all sorts, cruise liners (which often have a little-known 'board here and disembark there' policy - including car), and small inter-island steamers, beats any flight by plane hands down.

One of old age's few advantages! Apologies for being a bit off-thread.

10. Yugguy

Yugguy Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
    When I used to commute by train from rugby to Euston I bought first class season ticket as it was basically the only way to ensure you got a seat.