Deadlock with dealers

500benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 216
Hi all,

I'm having trouble with 2x dealers regarding a warranty repair to my AU CL500 with T1 warranty.

To cut a long story short;
-Dealer C services car back in February (B service)
-Recently, aircon stops working (stuck in AC OFF mode)
-2 weeks ago, Dealer D changes condenser and a few other bits and it works normally for a while.
-Return car to Dealer D as the blower has gone completely, they are blaming Dealer C saying the drainage was blocked and wasn't cleaned at last service, leading to water ingress to blower.
-Dealer C refute everything and say they have done the job properly.

Dealer D say that warranty doesn't cover it as it has been water damaged and want £500 to fix.

I have escalated matter to MB HO, but after reading all the horror stories on this forum, I can't say that I have much faith in them doing anything useful.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Have been without the car for 5 days now, though I do have the Mrs' car to get me around....

Lit.91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Sorry to hear that you're having such problems, both with the car and the dealers.

I can't offer any help but suggest that the MB UK is the best route to go down, and hold your ground.

Why don't you name the dealers for fellow members to be aware of what to expect when visiting them?

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL 500.W216 + C300 Coupe AMG Line 2018
As above name and shame the Dealerships the more people who know about the shabby way you are being treated the better.
Just a couple of questions why are you using two Dealerships to sort out the warranty problems, should you not be using the one Dealer who sold you the car ?
What is an AU CL500 W216?...gold in color perhaps:)

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Have you got it in writing from Dealer D that the drain should've been cleared at last service? (Or can you get it asap?)

If so, the work is done and it's for them to argue between themselves who foots the bill!

Keep plugging the "root cause" aspect, and get everything in writing. Copy in MB(UK) on everything, and don't be afraid to cc MB GmbH too - they were quite responsive with an issue I had on the 63, and suddenly the dealer seemed to respond a little quicker too.

Lexman8

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 (2001): Distronic, Bose, Keyless Go; Honda CR-V EX (2011)
There have been discussions on here before now as to whether clearing the drain is actually included in a service. Might be worth checking if it is?

This drainage problem has affected several owners and seems to be a result of poor design by MB.

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL 500.W216 + C300 Coupe AMG Line 2018
There are 4 drainage ports on the CL216...2 in the middle where the wipers are and 2 each side of the wiper tray in the corner, Malcolm/TV has a diagram of the exact position of the drain ports.
I clear mine every month if needed.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
My experience of mb and warranty cover for blocked drains is they are not interested. ... even if it is done on a service they simply say you need to make sure if stays clear. .so your problem. .even though some of these drains are well nigh impossible to ensure are cleaned out fully. .

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
There have been discussions on here before now as to whether clearing the drain is actually included in a service.

I was wondering that, too.

OP - when did you buy the car? It's not clear if the service was done in your ownership or before it.

Last edited:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Does the customers handbook detail clearing the drain holes ?
Or as above is it in the service schedule ?

OP

500benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 216
Thanks everyone for your responses!

To answer your questions:

Frontstep - There are no specific maintenance instructions for the drains (though if a problem could result in £00's, there really should be!)
The ESS print-out, which the dealer supplied after service, had every item checked off, including:

Check all visible parts for leaks and damage
Air/water duct: Check water drain for passage - Record findings below
Air/water duct condition: Blocked (If blocked clean soiled water drain subject to a separate repair invoice)
Air/water duct condition: Clear

Rory - I bought the car 18 months ago, and the Feb service was the first I had done since purchase.

shine - Sorry, AU was meant to mean "Approved Used"

I don't want to name the dealerships just yet, as I've had a phone call from MB HO, and they have notified me they are investigating and will update me tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I've had Dealer D call me and say they will discount the job and it will only cost £330!

I have a feeling they just want some retail money - they are not interested in the warranty payment (for which the labour cost is probably significantly less)

Having read through other posts, I just can't understand how MB operate at this end of the market. I know of someone who buys new and runs it into the ground (currently has an 04 S500) and if I was paying nigh on £100k for the car, plus £600/yr for services, £1200/yr warranty, I would expect things like this just wouldn't be an issue!

Anyhow, let's hope tomorrow brings good news!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
If no instruction/not part of the service to clear the drains then they can't rely on it to refuse claim.
Although I am sure they will try :)

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
The ESS service print out is your friend, as it seems pretty clear that they did/should've done the job.

And I suspect the "goodwill" discount from Dealer D is likely resultant of a quiet phone call between the two dealer principles. (I know, I am very cynical these days!)

Stick to your guns on this one.

OP

500benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 216
Hello again all,

So, Mercedes HO have called and confirmed that there is nothing they can do!

Dealer C, which is Mercedes Colindale, denies any liability, saying the drainage issue could have occurred between them servicing it and now.

Dealer D, which is Mercedes Dartford, also deny liability, since they didn't service it last time and it is effectively 'nothing of their doing'.

So, stuck between a rock and a hard place.
It seems Mercedes HO really don't have the ability (guts) to challenge dealerships and persuade them to resolve matters.

While on the phone, I also asked whether a goodwill repair from Mercedes could be submitted, the agent said it was unlikely owing to age of vehicle (despite my protestation that I bought it 18 months ago as an approved used car!)

A very disappointing outcome to say the least, and a complete lack of customer satisfaction understanding from the brand that promises "Das Beste Oder Nichts"

I will try and escalate the matter to Germany, but am not particularly hopeful....

MIW615

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 SPORT & 230SLK
Hello again all,

So, Mercedes HO have called and confirmed that there is nothing they can do!

Dealer C, which is Mercedes Colindale, denies any liability, saying the drainage issue could have occurred between them servicing it and now.

Dealer D, which is Mercedes Dartford, also deny liability, since they didn't service it last time and it is effectively 'nothing of their doing'.

So, stuck between a rock and a hard place.
It seems Mercedes HO really don't have the ability (guts) to challenge dealerships and persuade them to resolve matters.

While on the phone, I also asked whether a goodwill repair from Mercedes could be submitted, the agent said it was unlikely owing to age of vehicle (despite my protestation that I bought it 18 months ago as an approved used car!)

A very disappointing outcome to say the least, and a complete lack of customer satisfaction understanding from the brand that promises "Das Beste Oder Nichts"

I will try and escalate the matter to Germany, but am not particularly hopeful....

Seems like everyone is "putting their head in the sand" VERY poor service from Mercedes HO - they have the power to sort issues like this swiftly and sensibly.

Keep pushing with MB Germany - good luck

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If you would like the info on changing the fan, I can give you that, if the heater box drain is blocked, that will need to be cleared. Is the fuse intact for the fan still.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Sorry to hear this, but sadly increasingly common.

Can you demonstrate that you do not routinely park under trees (for example)?

Also points to keep hammering:

If it isn't in owner's handbook, how are you supposed to know? What are you supposed to do and what with?
If it were done (properly) at last service, and you don't park under trees habitually, then it is clearly a poor design if it can clog so quickly.
Not only a poor primary design, but also poor in that there is no overflow, or if there is it dumps water straight in to a sensitive component.

I agree it's unlikely to fall at the feet of Dealer D, but it's either Dealer C and/or poor design (which is the root cause).

I would also keep stressing that it was Approved Used, so what value is there in buying from MB, and also what value is there in servicing the car with them, if none of this is captured by them, or dealt with by them?

As per MIW615, keep MB GmbH involved every step.

Last edited:

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
PS. I have also found that posting an observation to MB UK's Farcebook and/or Twitter page seems to yield greater interest...

Gary Hanson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Jag. Jags are my favourite.
I suppose one way forward would be to have the repairs done somewhere else, ie not at either of the garages involved in the dispute, and then issue county court proceedings against both garages C and D to recover your costs. Let the District Judge decide who is liable. Obviously you'd have to write to both first and put them on notice of your intentions. Who knows, they might decide to pay and avoid the hassle and expense.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

If it isn't in owner's handbook, how are you supposed to know? What are you supposed to do and what with?
If it were done (properly) at last service, and you don't park under trees habitually, then it is clearly a poor design if it can clog so quickly.
Not only a poor primary design, but also poor in that there is no overflow, or if there is it dumps water straight in to a sensitive component.

MB are not alone with this fault. The Omega I had, would also do the exact same thing when (not if) the drain at the bottom of the pollen filter housing blocked. It wasn't the easiest of things to see, even when you knew it was there. Water then poured into the front passenger footwell after it had drowned the interior fan controller.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
MB are not alone with this fault. The Omega I had, would also do the exact same thing when (not if) the drain at the bottom of the pollen filter housing blocked. It wasn't the easiest of things to see, even when you knew it was there. Water then poured into the front passenger footwell after it had drowned the interior fan controller.

It doesn't bode well does it?

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom