Dealers!!MB servicing

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
cumbria is a bit of a wild area though regarding deals. struggle to get them as next nearest MB dealers from carlisle to my knowledge is newcastle, preston or glasgow! there may be more nearer, but im not aware of them!

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
I will break down my workshop soon and get rid of all of the test gear and parts, I have hundreds of things like TO3 output transistors that no one uses any more, same with the test gear= obsolete

I know how you will feel doing that Malcolm, memories will come flooding back of how much those tools have helped you and how much those parts cost etc etc, I know Ive been there.
Regards
Alfie B

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
5 days for a part from Germany--? are they having it delivered by horse and cart ?
(We have regular next day deliveries from Germany and the Netherlands on a regular basis here in Cheshire) there agian Cumbria is 50 or so miles up the M6 from here perhaps they need to change over the horse at Shap?.

Ha Ha maybe eh,but hey it must have been swapped for a racehorse.
A very strange thing happened at 3.30pm today, Mercedes Carlisle phoned to say my car was ready!!!, and the bill was £435 for a shift mechanism!!. I picked the car up after checking the condition of the underbonnet area( nice and clean) and noticed they had re tyre blacked the tyres:rolleyes:(that should make it go better), Ohh and the SBC works yahoo. and ive travelled the full 17mls home and all seems well.
So hopefully thats the last I will see of Mercedes Benz Carlisle.
Take Care
Alfie B

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I know how you will feel doing that Malcolm, memories will come flooding back of how much those tools have helped you and how much those parts cost etc etc, I know Ive been there.
Regards
Alfie B

You are right,,one of the big transistor supplies will give something for the stock of 2000. The test gear can go on Ebay, I will keep the scopes as I use them on cars.

I have done 26 installs this week, so I still have some use :D

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
cumbria is a bit of a wild area though regarding deals. struggle to get them as next nearest MB dealers from carlisle to my knowledge is newcastle, preston or glasgow! there may be more nearer, but im not aware of them!

Hi Pete,
Very true, we are out on a limb here, I do quite a bit of work in the Lancaster area so I may look around there for a good inde.
Regards
Alfie B

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
You are right,,one of the big transistor supplies will give something for the stock of 2000. The test gear can go on Ebay, I will keep the scopes as I use them on cars.

I have done 26 installs this week, so I still have some use :D

Nice one Malcolm,
We are a dying breed Sir, it,s very sad to see this trade fall apart at the seams, Plasma and LCD and DLP systems now are going back to the old Grundig modular systems, what we used to call panel changing, which does,nt require the
32yrs of knowledge that I have gained in the electronics trade, we have been up to now working to component level on these units but we are finding parts more and more difficult to get, of course we could go down the modern route and replace the full PCB but then the customer will go to joe blogs down the road working from his shed:rolleyes:, as he,s overheads are far less than ours and if he replaces the full panel the job will be every bit as reliable as our work:(.
On a lighter note I got a phone call from the Stealership informing me my car was ready for collection,:D, I called round and checked it over and all seemed well, and when I asked them what was wrong this time they said it was the floor shift mechanism, and thats what was causing the management light to come on and was linked to the SBC system, well I paid the £435, £99 for labour and the rest for the part, everything seems to be working ok now;) and I hope it will stay that way, even after all the hassle I still love this car it is lovely to drive, (maybe something to do with me using my old Cobra for work he he).
Well thanks again for your kind words during my tale of woe, and lastly(you did,nt think you could get away that easily ha ha), what the hell has the floor shift mechanism got to do with the SBC and the engine management, and what does it do?????.:confused:
Alfie B

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Nice one Malcolm,
We are a dying breed Sir, it,s very sad to see this trade fall apart at the seams, Plasma and LCD and DLP systems now are going back to the old Grundig modular systems, what we used to call panel changing, which does,nt require the
32yrs of knowledge that I have gained in the electronics trade, we have been up to now working to component level on these units but we are finding parts more and more difficult to get, of course we could go down the modern route and replace the full PCB but then the customer will go to joe blogs down the road working from his shed:rolleyes:, as he,s overheads are far less than ours and if he replaces the full panel the job will be every bit as reliable as our work:(.
On a lighter note I got a phone call from the Stealership informing me my car was ready for collection,:D, I called round and checked it over and all seemed well, and when I asked them what was wrong this time they said it was the floor shift mechanism, and thats what was causing the management light to come on and was linked to the SBC system, well I paid the £435, £99 for labour and the rest for the part, everything seems to be working ok now;) and I hope it will stay that way, even after all the hassle I still love this car it is lovely to drive, (maybe something to do with me using my old Cobra for work he he).
Well thanks again for your kind words during my tale of woe, and lastly(you did,nt think you could get away that easily ha ha), what the hell has the floor shift mechanism got to do with the SBC and the engine management, and what does it do?????.:confused:
Alfie B

I do not know what to say, will that fix it or not, I cannot do any searching for the minute as I am tied up.

The day will come when the car will not start because the driving mirror does not recognize they iris of the drivers eye, :D:D

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
I do not know what to say, will that fix it or not, I cannot do any searching for the minute as I am tied up.

The day will come when the car will not start because the driving mirror does not recognize they iris of the drivers eye, :D:D

HA HA HA CLASSIC and probably very true.:lol: tied up !! ooh I stopped all that years ago he he.
Alfie B

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
Just untied one arm to type this? --Well done Alfie hope it all stays OK now.
Will your policy cover the cost ?

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
Just untied one arm to type this? --Well done Alfie hope it all stays OK now.
Will your policy cover the cost ?

Hi Teddycatkin,
Yes thank goodness they have been brilliant total was just under £2000 eek.the warranty company was CAR CARE.
take care;)
Alfie B

mercmadjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230k
Sorry Alfie, I got to ask, what about the disc's and pads?

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
Good plug for Car Care ?--A Yorkshire company seems all in house not affiliated to FSA regulations though.-- maybe thats a good thing nowadays?

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
Sorry Alfie, I got to ask, what about the disc's and pads?

Hi Mercmadjim,
Hmm they said they had checked them and they were within MOT standards:rolleyes:, the disc is blued around the edge nearest the bearing but it seems there is no runout, I will replace the disc and pads come the next service, I dont really have any confidence in this company so even with a knackered disc it will probably be safer than if THEY replaced it:lol:.
Take Care
Alfie B

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
Good plug for Car Care ?--A Yorkshire company seems all in house not affiliated to FSA regulations though.-- maybe thats a good thing nowadays?

Hi again,
I can honestly say CAR CARE have been brilliant right from the start, they even contacted my secretary to ask if things were going ok:D, I bought this car from Furness Park garages in Barrow in Furness, at the time of sale the manager said he would GIVE me this warranty foc and said it is unlimited to the full cost of the vehicle and has no limit to the amount of claims made, this plan I believe would normally cost around £700 but hey what a bargain its already saved me £2000, and gave me total peace of mind, as for the plug credit where its due eh:lol:.
I once had a breakdown policy with Warranty Direct on my Jaguar S Type and the Autobox packed in and right from the start it was like I had caused the fault, they also quoted the betterment terms in the small print to me, this says that they will not make your car better than it was prior to the breakdown, and as this gearbox was the electronic type(apparently sealed for life) they said I could,nt have a new gearbox (which would have cost £2800) and I would have to find a company who could repair it, luckily I found Express Gearboxes who repaired it for around £1200, and Warranty Direct even refused to pay for the ATF saying oils were not covered and that cost around £70, When I got this warranty from Car Care I thought I would have to make a contibution but no , it was plain sailing all the way:D.

Take care
Alfie B

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom