Dealers!!MB servicing

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
I have recently had the misfortune to have the display show the words SBC unavailable and the left rear brake disc went glowing hot after a motorway run,the car is a W211 E270 CDI 2004 I have only owned the car a few months but it came with full service history from Mercedes Benz Edmonton. the service book was stamped by them at the 1st service @ 9912mls and the next entry was at 16,838mls but the dealer did,nt stamp the book but I do have the invoice with all the relevant detail on it, the car has cover a total of 30,100mls now and it is due a D service in 3500mls. Unfortunately when I rang Mercedes and told them of the SBC fault etc they gave me a number to ring, which I did and gave the chap on the phone all the details of the fault etc and he took the chassis number and then said this car is not recorded as having Mercedes Service History, so I would have to pay for any inspection and £180 to transport the car the 3mls to the dealer for repair:(, I said I have the service documents confirming the Service History in front of me and the next service is'nt due for 3500mls and he just said sorry it's not recorded on my system so I will have to pay!!!, unfortunately I tried to ring Mercedes Edmonton to confirm they had entered the details on the system but it seems they are no longer in business anyone any ideas where I should go from here? as the fault may turn out to be expensive, the car does have a warranty from the supplier who say I should'nt worry I should pay the bill and then they should reimburse me, my worry is that if I go to sell the car it wont show up on the system that its been correctly serviced.:(
any advice will be gratefully received.
Alfie B

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
The Mb dealers share a common database. Are you sure there wasn't a mistake in the VIN given to (or understood by) the chap you had to ring?

You should be able to go into any MB dealer and get the service history for the car.

Why didn't Edmonton stamp the service book? It could be they didn't update the database and so it shows a break in the service history. A service from a MB dealer will restore this but that doesn't help now.

I think you will need to go into the nearest dealer with all your paperwork and try and explain the situation. If you show the invoice for the "missing" service perhaps they will correct the omission.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The Mb dealers share a common database. Are you sure there wasn't a mistake in the VIN given to (or understood by) the chap you had to ring?

You should be able to go into any MB dealer and get the service history for the car.

Why didn't Edmonton stamp the service book? It could be they didn't update the database and so it shows a break in the service history. A service from a MB dealer will restore this but that doesn't help now.

I think you will need to go into the nearest dealer with all your paperwork and try and explain the situation. If you show the invoice for the "missing" service perhaps they will correct the omission.

Good point Peter,:D just because Edmonton have gone,all of this data is shared, and still on all od the other computers

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
New MB's don't come with a service book ......... just print outs from dealer !

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT

Hi Peter,
Edmonton did stamp the service book but only on its 1st service, they filled in the details on its second service but did,nt stamp the page, this is the service I have the invoice for stating the mileage and vin etc,
I am sure they got the vin no correct, someone somewhere has made a cockup,:rolleyes: but I suppose I have all the paperwork to show it has got full MB service history, I will see what they say when we find out the full fault facts, thanks for your input, I will keep you all posted on the outcome.
Regards
Alfie B

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
When my suspension spring broke last month, I rang Mobilio who didn't have the full service history and I was asked a - if it did have (Yes) and b - could I have evidence available for the recovery driver to see (which I did but he didn't ask for it). That was it, car collected, loan car delivered and all ok.
Bottom line is that you have proof of your service history between the book and the invoice. That should be enough for anyone.
Sounds like the rear pad seized on - SBC has a temp sensor I believe - hence SBC shut off. Should be a straight forward fix though I suspect you'll need new rear pads and disks and possibly a caliper so it won't be cheap. Warranty should sort it though.

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
When my suspension spring broke last month, I rang Mobilio who didn't have the full service history and I was asked a - if it did have (Yes) and b - could I have evidence available for the recovery driver to see (which I did but he didn't ask for it). That was it, car collected, loan car delivered and all ok.
Bottom line is that you have proof of your service history between the book and the invoice. That should be enough for anyone.
Sounds like the rear pad seized on - SBC has a temp sensor I believe - hence SBC shut off. Should be a straight forward fix though I suspect you'll need new rear pads and disks and possibly a caliper so it won't be cheap. Warranty should sort it though.

Hi jberks,
Thats interesting should have just waited for the driver to come and show him the invoices etc, I have decided to take the car to the Stealership on monday and see what they say, if it does turn out to be an SBC problem I will fight it out with them but it just makes it harder when the dealership has gone down the pan and not recorded the service schedules carried out.It certainly does,nt seem to be a sticking caliper as it freewheeled easily and I could push the car in neutral, I jacked up the offending wheel and it is a free as normal and although the disc is blue, the pads and caliper look perfect and undamaged!!:shock:. I will keep you all posted at the outcome.
Thanks again for your input.
Regards
Alfie B

The Rock

Reaction score
My wife's SLK door jammed open while she was 30 miles from home. She called MB Assist (or whatever they call it) and the person said "You're not covered - we have no record of any service in the last 2 years". My wife protested that that is the fault of the MB dealer and that the car did have a full service history. The person said my wife would have to pay to call-out a service technician and that if she produced documentation to that technician she would get a refund. My wife went ballistic and said that she didn't carry any paperwork with her but the person said that they wouldn't come out if she didn't pay. My wife phoned me and I went to her aid instead, I forced the door hinge mech (deliberately) knowing that I would get that mended by MB free-of-charge whether they liked it or not. Boy was I ready for a barny with them.
Bugger me, within 10 minutes of me arriving at my wife's car a MB tech arrived too. It's still a mystery to me who sent him.
My wife went into our local MB dealership the next day and the manager was mortified when he heard her story. He said it should never have happened like that and that they would never leave a customer stranded like that.

Anyway, to deal with your question, if you've got the invoice for the service then you have proof. I'm sure you'll be fine - just go into any dealership with it and get your book stamped. When I bought my car it had all the invoices but had a missing stamp. I sent the book to the dealer who'd done the service (Viking in Tonbridge Wells) with the invoice and the book came back stamped up. I don't think I even needed to send the invoice but I did so anyway, just in case.

Rock

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
My wife's SLK door jammed open while she was 30 miles from home. She called MB Assist (or whatever they call it) and the person said "You're not covered - we have no record of any service in the last 2 years". My wife protested that that is the fault of the MB dealer and that the car did have a full service history. The person said my wife would have to pay to call-out a service technician and that if she produced documentation to that technician she would get a refund. My wife went ballistic and said that she didn't carry any paperwork with her but the person said that they wouldn't come out if she didn't pay. My wife phoned me and I went to her aid instead, I forced the door hinge mech (deliberately) knowing that I would get that mended by MB free-of-charge whether they liked it or not. Boy was I ready for a barny with them.
Bugger me, within 10 minutes of me arriving at my wife's car a MB tech arrived too. It's still a mystery to me who sent him.
My wife went into our local MB dealership the next day and the manager was mortified when he heard her story. He said it should never have happened like that and that they would never leave a customer stranded like that.

Anyway, to deal with your question, if you've got the invoice for the service then you have proof. I'm sure you'll be fine - just go into any dealership with it and get your book stamped. When I bought my car it had all the invoices but had a missing stamp. I sent the book to the dealer who'd done the service (Viking in Tonbridge Wells) with the invoice and the book came back stamped up. I don't think I even needed to send the invoice but I did so anyway, just in case.

Rock

Hi Rock,
Thanks for that, I have just dropped the car off at the Dealers and the service manager agreed that it does have service history and he will speak with Mercedes and sort it out, he also said that they often get their info wrong, ****** great eh, well thanks for your information now I now which way to go if they try it on eh.;)
Regards
Alfie B

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
Sbc

Just a quick update the Mercedes dealer have now said that they reckon the SBC pump is the problem and said they dont think it is covered by Mercedes warranty and want nearly £900 for the pump!! I said I was a member of this forum and I believe the pump should have a 10 year warranty and they said they dont think so and will check and get back to me!!!!. talk about getting stitched up.:(

Alfie B

The Rock

Reaction score
I think that saying it's not covered is a cop-out.
At just over 3 years old 65,000 miles (i.e. out of warranty) the alternator went on my C250TD. The dealer wanted over £500 to supply a new one, let alone fit it. I protested and MB offered to pay one third and the dealer offered to pay another third, leaving me with a more reasonable bill.
Sometimes it pays to protest.

Rock

124coupe

Reaction score
Just a quick update the Mercedes dealer have now said that they reckon the SBC pump is the problem and said they dont think it is covered by Mercedes warranty and want nearly £900 for the pump!! I said I was a member of this forum and I believe the pump should have a 10 year warranty and they said they dont think so and will check and get back to me!!!!. talk about getting stitched up.:(

Alfie B

There is no 10 year warranty on the pump (this is only in the USA where Merc must have been scared of a class action).

For the EU, Merc seem to cover the pump on a case-by-case basis as goodwill when the case is submitted by the dealers. Presumably they are trying to make sure that no precedent is set while damping down public opinion.

You should push the dealer to make a case to Merc for goodwill support - take prinouts from here and "the other forum" where others in the UK have been 100% covered this way.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I do wonder about the information they hold as I've had 2 recall letters for my W211 and whilst the VIN No. was correct the registration No. was wrong on both letters.

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
There is no 10 year warranty on the pump (this is only in the USA where Merc must have been scared of a class action).

For the EU, Merc seem to cover the pump on a case-by-case basis as goodwill when the case is submitted by the dealers. Presumably they are trying to make sure that no precedent is set while damping down public opinion.

You should push the dealer to make a case to Merc for goodwill support - take prinouts from here and "the other forum" where others in the UK have been 100% covered this way.

Hi Thanks for your reply, and yes you are correct in assuming the SBC pump is only covered for 3 yrs, the Stealership has just rang me saying they had googled my problem with Mercedes and there were no recalls!!:shock: for this problem and I will have to pay for the full job:(, I do have a warranty with the vehicle from the supplier, and it is unlimited so I will have to turn to them, its just a shame that with only 30,000mls covered that Mercedes dont offer any assistance,:( I am not in the habit of claiming off the breakdown warranty, when I firmly believe it is a problem in the design of the vehicle.
well we live and learn.:mad:
Regards
Alfie B

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
I do wonder about the information they hold as I've had 2 recall letters for my W211 and whilst the VIN No. was correct the registration No. was wrong on both letters.

Hi Blobcat,
My dealership are crap,
Although when I arrived after booking the car in with them it was pouring down, and a chap in a suit with an umberella guided me into the service bay and shook hands with me, then took me to see the service manager and introduced me to him and made me a coffee,:) I thought cor this is service for you, after this things went downhill somewhat,:lol:Then they forgot to ring me with the diagnosis, then lost my landline number, then forgot to ring the warranty company, then rang my office and asked for Mr Beardmore??, when one of my staff said there is,nt anyone of that name here he rang off, then another call followed saying it would be £69 for the brake shoes??? what brake shoes we asked? he said sorry there must be two customers of the same name in their workshop, my secretary eventually rang them again and they said ooh sorry about all that your car is'nt covered by our warranty and you will have to pay the full costs, well after taking all the above into account I reckon I will just get the warranty company to foot the bill as I dont fancy going through all the hassle again.

Regards
Alfie B
ps the guy with the umbrella and the coffee was good though:rolleyes:

c36hammertime

Reaction score
DIY minor servicing a c36 amg

i would like to know where the oil filter is located, is it in the engine bay near the ABS system? the one with the screw and with a lid, and you see oil inside of it? please help me out...

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
i would like to know where the oil filter is located, is it in the engine bay near the ABS system? the one with the screw and with a lid, and you see oil inside of it? please help me out...

??? Hav,nt a clue mate try posting the question in the correct part of the forum like Engine/Drivetrain etc.
Cheers
Alfie B

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
I think that saying it's not covered is a cop-out.
At just over 3 years old 65,000 miles (i.e. out of warranty) the alternator went on my C250TD. The dealer wanted over £500 to supply a new one, let alone fit it. I protested and MB offered to pay one third and the dealer offered to pay another third, leaving me with a more reasonable bill.
Sometimes it pays to protest.

Rock

HI ROCK,
I AGREE BUT GETTING THROUGH TO MY DEALER WOULD COST ME MORE TIME AND MONEY THAN THE JOB ITSELF THEY ARE A BUNCH OF THICK HEADS;).
Alfie B

124coupe

Reaction score
HI ROCK,
I AGREE BUT GETTING THROUGH TO MY DEALER WOULD COST ME MORE TIME AND MONEY THAN THE JOB ITSELF THEY ARE A BUNCH OF THICK HEADS;).
Alfie B

Well, there are loads of cases with cars both older and with much higher miles than yours where Merc have covered the SBC pump and labour as goodwill.

If you have other cover that you are sure actually will cover this and not leave you with a fat excess to pay then fine.

My advice is not to turn your back on the goodwill route - try another dealer (there are loads of them and they are not all bad)!

After all, you will need a dealer to liaise with the warranty supplier to replace the pump anyway...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This is interesting in that only a sticky / faulty modulating valve could do this, that is built into the pump.

The thinking behind SBC was that that the braking could be done via the fly by wire brake pedal giving signals to the SBC pump to apply the brakes. Now the rear caliper cannot apply the pressure to that wheel, the pressure only comes from the SBC pump, so this means that the SBC pump has failed in a dangerous way, driving on a wet road could have spun the car.

I would take this as far as you can, what is MB version of the pump failing

Avantgarde Automotive, Mercedes-Benz and SLR McLaren specialists. Service, repairs, diagnosis and motorsport preparation.
Unit 14 Hither Green Trading Estate, Clevedon, Somerset, BS21 6XU Tel: 01275 217270 Email:steve@avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Top Bottom