Dealership closing

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
MB took delivery of 10 new C class cars when I popped in there last week in Exeter

cj...

Reaction score
I know of one dealer group who's techs have been put on a bonus that if they find any issues with customers vehicles whilst in for regular service work,they automatically get a percentage of the money made on the extra parts sold to the customer.
I would think that this is totally short sighted on the dealers behalf in that they may make a few extra quid in the begining but after the customers have been frightened off with even HIGHER bills for parts that an over-zealous bonus hungry tech had advised were needed,what will they do then? nobody buying cars and nobody having them fixed...not at the main dealers anyway.

wouldnt suprise me if more dealers went out of business and with practices like this its no wonder!!!

Last edited:

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I would suggest that the all under one roof for sales and service is not working very well.

I totally agree with that, especially for new car sales the current business model is screwed.

It's not all the dealers fault, although with odd exceptions they do little to help themselves, but the margin on new cars is horrible - few other areas of commerce would work on the margins dealers are expected to sell new cars for.

I think we'll end up with internet or retailer (Lidl are going to start selling VW and Opal in Germany) outlets and industrial estate based places for servicing. Test drives will be organised from a central point (most manufacturers, including Mercedes, have that capability now).

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I totally agree with that, especially for new car sales the current business model is screwed.

It's not all the dealers fault, although with odd exceptions they do little to help themselves, but the margin on new cars is horrible - few other areas of commerce would work on the margins dealers are expected to sell new cars for.

I think we'll end up with internet or retailer (Lidl are going to start selling VW and Opal in Germany) outlets and industrial estate based places for servicing. Test drives will be organised from a central point (most manufacturers, including Mercedes, have that capability now).

That would also suggest MOTs done by a government run workshop, as in the Netherlands, with no conflict of interest such as has caused concern in other threads.

Mind you, with Gordon running it, and able to implement new rules at a whim, (or new whims as a rule), it may not be Nirvana!

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB took delivery of 10 new C class cars when I popped in there last week in Exeter

That is worth knowing Malcolm - there is a good prospect of great deals there - either "pre-registered", or just discounted. Worth anyone interested putting a trace on their website for the next while.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
I know of one dealer group who's techs have been put on a bonus that if they find any issues with customers vehicles whilst in for regular service work,they automatically get a percentage of the money made on the extra parts sold to the customer.

If that were to happen and they were dobbed in or caught out then they would leave themselves wide open for prosecution.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
That would also suggest MOTs done by a government run workshop, as in the Netherlands, with no conflict of interest such as has caused concern in other threads.

Now that would be sensible - however given the track records of governments of either persuasion over the last 50 years they would be incapable of running it without a shed load of bureaucrats, more personal information files than MI5 have a system only understood by staff that had a degree in American History or Garage Music also those running it would be X Post Office counter staff, Benefits Agency or 'retyred' Child Protection Executives;)

OP
jberks

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
If that were to happen and they were dobbed in or caught out then they would leave themselves wide open for prosecution.

Not really. We may not like the practice but provided they aren't offering us something provably unnecessary tehy aren't doing anything wrong. I'm sure when they service a car normally they'll spot the odd thing from time to time that they ignore as they're a bit busy or it's not crucial to be done right now. This is just an incentive to notice everything and nothing legally wrong with that. Its like the 'aircon service' in another post. Completely unnecesary by most measures but technically, if its recommended to keep everything in 100% perfect condition, they'll catch a fair few folk out.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Government run Stations will never really take off in a big way over here for we are too far gone with the set ups that we have.

All Swedish MOT stations are run by the state and are almost 100% automatic, all suspension components are checked by a machine, including the shocks. There is no chance of cheating or bribing as it works on a "Kund Number" as there are some 8 lines for cars you have no idea of what Lane you will be in or who is the operator for that lane, so you have number 86 when you clock in, you just wail in the park lines and when number 86 comes up the door opens and you drive in, and he or a she will take over, you are free to walk down the conveyor line to the end where you will be asked to sit in the car while they do a test drive circuit, and thats it all for £30.

All MOT's are automatically booked for you, Odd number plates go from 06-12 and even 01 05

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Government run Stations will never really take off in a big way over here for we are too far gone with the set ups that we have.

All Swedish MOT stations are run by the state and are almost 100% automatic, all suspension components are checked by a machine, including the shocks. There is no chance of cheating or bribing as it works on a "Kund Number" as there are some 8 lines for cars you have no idea of what Lane you will be in or who is the operator for that lane, so you have number 86 when you clock in, you just wail in the park lines and when number 86 comes up the door opens and you drive in, and he or a she will take over, you are free to walk down the conveyor line to the end where you will be asked to sit in the car while they do a test drive circuit, and thats it all for £30.

You are correct on both counts, Malcolm. It would be the ideal, objective, almost uncheatable system. But we are too well entrenched here with so many suppliers who have made investments in the system. Sadly , they are also the group from which memebers fear that "conflicts of interest will arise.

As you say, it will never happen - and as Dosco so rightly points out, it would be a further tier of bureaucracy - and we have seen too many of these already.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Not really. We may not like the practice but provided they aren't offering us something provably unnecessary tehy aren't doing anything wrong.

Don't agree with that 'parts loading' is sharp practice and by encouraging technicians through paying a bonus will lead to such activities. Sadly the majority of users will be in no position to argue.

The domestic appliance repair market was rife with that form of 'commission' structure in the late 60,s 70's and through to the 90,s During my time with a major Scandinavian domestic appliance manufacture you would never had survived on the basic wage, commission on parts made it all worth while never left a fridge without replacing a 'stat and heater (absorption fridge) even if it was a simple door adjustment job, can't remember how many heating elements, pressure switches, 'stats, programmers I fitted to washing machines that were never needed the list goes on. I am not proud of what I did and the above is not boasting just an example of how such schemes of work can and do get out of hand.

You only need to get dragged into court once for such sharp practice and your business will suffer - unless of course you work out of the back of a transit with a mobile phone, promise the earth tell 'em its "quality" and don't give a toss for the people you hurt.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Don't agree with that 'parts loading' is sharp practice and by encouraging technicians through paying a bonus will lead to such activities. Sadly the majority of users will be in no position to argue.

The domestic appliance repair market was rife with that form of 'commission' structure in the late 60,s 70's and through to the 90,s During my time with a major Scandinavian domestic appliance manufacture you would never had survived on the basic wage, commission on parts made it all worth while never left a fridge without replacing a 'stat and heater (absorption fridge) even if it was a simple door adjustment job, can't remember how many heating elements, pressure switches, 'stats, programmers I fitted to washing machines that were never needed the list goes on. I am not proud of what I did and the above is not boasting just an example of how such schemes of work can and do get out of hand.

You only need to get dragged into court once for such sharp practice and your business will suffer - unless of course you work out of the back of a transit with a mobile phone, promise the earth tell 'em its "quality" and don't give a toss for the people you hurt.

"Tonight" on TV last night did some investigative journalism on Vets. They are at it too - but I lost count of the number of times they talked about "the profession" and described themselves as "professionals"!

I suppose the definition of good or ethical behaviour is not to have been found out!?

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As you say, it will never happen - and as Dosco so rightly points out, it would be a further tier of bureaucracy - and we have seen too many of these already.

(Government MOTs)

This facility is more or less available now - most councils have MOT test facilities available for the public to use, as do other large organisation fleets. We have a BT garage nearby and that does MOTs for the public. There are also MOT only garages, although I'm not sure how widespread these are.

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
(Government MOTs)

This facility is more or less available now - most councils have MOT test facilities available for the public to use, as do other large organisation fleets. We have a BT garage nearby and that does MOTs for the public. There are also MOT only garages, although I'm not sure how widespread these are.

Our local council has just opened one of these fully automated computerised MOT stations, sadly its not available to the general public but for the councils own vehicles ,local taxis and hire vehicles and any other vehicles licensed by them .I've just had one of my vehicles MOT'd there and I was impressed as it takes away any vested interest/favoritism , old pals etc.

OP
jberks

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Yes, seen it all too often. I've been offered unnecessary work on the car too and you're quite right, most people are not in a position to argue. Morally the practice indefensible, though no doubt the poor buggers doing it will be the ones in the frame if they overstep the mark. The bosses that force them into the situation will walk away claiming they never sanctioned such sharp practice. (only engineered it with crap wages and high bonusses).

But the fact remains that provided they don't replace parts unnecessarily (almost impossible to prove) they aren't doing anything technically illegal. Immoral yes - illegal no. Its like the starter motor I was recommended to replace on a 4 year old BMW in the 80's. Allegedly it was slightly defective - presumably pulling 1/2 a amp more than it should. Who's to say it wouldn't have let me down and they were being prudent? I said no and traded the car 9 years later without issue.
As you say, this practice has been around forever.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've been offered unnecessary work on the car too and you're quite right, most people are not in a position to argue.

There's nothing that brings this into sharper focus than my experience with ServicePlus - I get regaled with lists of things that "need" to be done when I take my car in. Then they ask how I'll be paying and when I say "ServicePlus" the service advisor visibly slumps. :rolleyes: When I pick the car up it turns out most of the work didn't need doing.

I'm dying for them to forget to ask me one time! :)

lulu

Reaction score
There's nothing that brings this into sharper focus than my experience with ServicePlus - I get regaled with lists of things that "need" to be done when I take my car in. Then they ask how I'll be paying and when I say "ServicePlus" the service advisor visibly slumps. :rolleyes: When I pick the car up it turns out most of the work didn't need doing.

I'm dying for them to forget to ask me one time! :)

I think I'd do my utmost to avoid the question until collection!

OP
jberks

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think I'd do my utmost to avoid the question until collection!

Its a great buzz when they slip up. Being a private reg, the age of mine isn't immediately apparent. I had a couple of occasions where they've said it needs a new 'x'. Their enthusiasm waned when I said, 'Great, knock yourself out, she's under warranty'. I guess MB warranty pays less than we do.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Its a great buzz when they slip up. Being a private reg, the age of mine isn't immediately apparent. I had a couple of occasions where they've said it needs a new 'x'. Their enthusiasm waned when I said, 'Great, knock yourself out, she's under warranty'. I guess MB warranty pays less than we do.

If ever there was a good reason to have a private plate then this has to be the best:p:p:p

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom