Decent, reasonably priced car cover opinions please?

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
The neighbours are having an extension, and as I am away from home during the week, this week I noticed 3 moderate scratches across the bonnet of the CLS, about the length of a forearm. Looks like the builders have likely rested something across the fence on the drive way and then pull it back over.

So I need a car cover but top help protect it from such further happenings and the dust. I am not going to spend hundreds on one like I have on the Supra but, I am sure there are decent performing covers to be had for around £40/50. So I'd welcome your experiences and suggestions.

Anti scratch, breathable, durable and 2+ securing straps would be essential.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Invest in CCTV and sue them!

Why should you risk damaging your car with a cover?

Mercedes SL500 R231

Reactions: DSK

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
If the builders are the culprits the chances are they would see the cover as sufficient protection to rest even more of their materials upon and you would need to remove the cover every time you wanted to inspect for any further damage. I would be inclined as above, to fit a CCTV Camera overlooking your cars.

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
Get a ring door bell, great investment.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I’ve resorted to the cover during the week for my i8 as the gull issue is on the go again at work. I’d rather risk an odd scuff from the cover ( hasn’t happened though) than stuck on crepe
Suspect ops issue is similar
I had a storm force for my SL which was excellent , breathable , lined and well fitted.
More than polish on here have a sister company who do similar good quality covers
However they will be £100 +
The current one is the one I had on the E63 and seems to fit ok- bought it from Amazon for about £40 from memory
The material was similar , breathable , but not lined - not as good to be honest but adequate
Lots don’t like covers but they’re a necessary evil sometimes
I don’t use mine in high winds or heavy rain by the way, does negate the need as bird poo isn’t an issue in those conditions

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
I use the halfords ones, about £70 for a large and they are excellent. As above, covers arent ideal, but I only have 3 undercover spaces and 4 cars that need protecting!

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
As for the camera's they are coming but, I am looking into some of the kits available and should have something within a couple of months.

Good point about the cover being on and someone seeing it as an invite to abuse but, I'll be putting up a a couple of temporary fence panels to cover the height of the car and a cover to further protect it from dust etc. The building works are expected to take approximately 5 months. So the intention of the cover is to protect from building dust/sand baking in the sun and protect it from any little bits/chips of building stuff that may get thrown/blown by the builders.

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom