Decided to refurb my kerbed wheel.

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Could always sand them right down all over and prime, then with some careful masking with normal masking tape plus something like 3M finish line knifeless tape to do the wheels silver and the faces a brighter silver. Very fiddly though - there are a few YouTube videos of two tone wheel painting like this ;)

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Yikes! I don't have the skills or patience for that!
I'll persevere with this one but it's looking more like a professional refurb if it doesn't turn out well! :(

Altamar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 SL400
I had all four on the SL done professionally this year as I am going to keep the car forever. Not cheap as they are 19" but delighted with the results

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I had all four on the SL done professionally this year as I am going to keep the car forever. Not cheap as they are 19" but delighted with the results
Yup! Mine are 19" too

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Still waiting for my drill attachment so I decided to visit a paint shop that I've used previously. They did an amazing respray on my last TVR.
They've taken photos and are doing a bit of research before they commit!

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I'd want the tyre off first .... :rolleyes:
Just had one 19” AMG wheel refurbished at FAW … £85 plus vat. Complete strip sand bast, check for fractures and dents.
Sadly it was slightly buckled so another £20 To straighten it . They say 95% of wheels they do are buckled even those that are circa 2 years old.

Unfortunately they now use a different paint supplier , so not a perfect match !

E6E363D8-800C-4293-A48B-E27418D15CD5.jpeg
But close enough ??
it does look a tad brighter but the inside of the rear is very dirty ( grey to black ) so the front with shiny silver will reflect more.
Tomorrow I will take off the rear and clean the inside painted part hoping to “brighten“ up the overall image.
0F43655A-BDF9-4708-A39A-A0FA0706E99F.jpeg
If you were really looking for a paint mismatch you might think hmmm thats is a tad off. But just walkinG up to the car ai think most folks would not see it.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Just had one 19” AMG wheel refurbished at FAW … £85 plus vat. Complete strip sand bast, check for fractures and dents.
Sadly it was slightly buckled so another £20 To straighten it . They say 95% of wheels they do are buckled even those that are circa 2 years old.

Unfortunately they now use a different paint supplier , so not a perfect match !

View attachment 74148
But close enough ??
it does look a tad brighter but the inside of the rear is very dirty ( grey to black ) so the front with shiny silver will reflect more.
Tomorrow I will take off the rear and clean the inside painted part hoping to “brighten“ up the overall image.
View attachment 74149
If you were really looking for a paint mismatch you might think hmmm thats is a tad off. But just walkinG up to the car ai think most folks would not see it.
You need a set of these for cleaning the wheel barrels on the car they make a superb job

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Yikes! I don't have the skills or patience for that!
I'll persevere with this one but it's looking more like a professional refurb if it doesn't turn out well! :(
Hi
Personally not sure its worth it.
1. Good chance alloy wheel is bent, warped or buckled. - needs staightening first.
2. The inside stats to corrode and needs stripping right back to get a smooth strong surface for a perfect seal.
3. You need a good sandblasted, then powdercoated then painted surface to really last against stone chips, and stand up to hard cleaning.
4. Really need to remove the tyre to do an even half baked job.

IMO best to get a good deal from a professional is keeping the car.

Totally agree if you are selling it to those bastards from we buy any car. Go for it.

Example just having one wheel repainted on wifes A Class. The tire seal is so bad it needs pumping up every other day. Set at 36psi 2 days later its 22 psi! Pretty new tyre done < 800 miles.
Quotes To remove the tyre, would be £7. To sand smooth and apply a sealant paste £12 … note that only lasts properly circa 3 months .. been there . To refit tyre and balance £10.
So I went for a complete strip and powder-coat and paint. £41.50 + £5 refit and balance plus VAT ( total £55.80 total).

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Hi
Personally not sure its worth it.
1. Good chance alloy wheel is bent, warped or buckled. - needs staightening first.
2. The inside stats to corrode and needs stripping right back to get a smooth strong surface for a perfect seal.
3. You need a good sandblasted, then powdercoated then painted surface to really last against stone chips, and stand up to hard cleaning.
4. Really need to remove the tyre to do an even half baked job.

IMO best to get a good deal from a professional is keeping the car.

Totally agree if you are selling it to those bastards from we buy any car. Go for it.

Example just having one wheel repainted on wifes A Class. The tire seal is so bad it needs pumping up every other day. Set at 36psi 2 days later its 22 psi! Pretty new tyre done < 800 miles.
Quotes To remove the tyre, would be £7. To sand smooth and apply a sealant paste £12 … note that only lasts properly circa 3 months .. been there . To refit tyre and balance £10.
So I went for a complete strip and powder-coat and paint. £41.50 + £5 refit and balance plus VAT ( total £55.80 total).
£55 isn't too frightening. I may try to get some quotes other than the place I visited Monday because they've not got back to me yet :(

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
You need a set of these for cleaning the wheel barrels on the car they make a superb job

Thanks what I would like to know is what quick to use product, will clean the dirty inside part of the wheel, that is not an acid ( wont risk that) .?

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Oh yes, and the force I hit the kerb with must have done something! It didn't put the alignment out at all, that's been checked.
Maybe the wheel isn't true :(

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
£55 isn't too frightening. I may try to get some quotes other than the place I visited Monday because they've not got back to me yet :(
My thoughts exactly.
2 Coats of Collonite before road use , seemed to put an easy clean barrier on the refurbished wheels . Seems OK 4 years later.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Oh yes, and the force I hit the kerb with must have done something! It didn't put the alignment out at all, that's been checked.
Maybe the wheel isn't true :(
My dented 19” was straightened before, so I know it was true, I go 15 mph over road humps to save ABC, and I NEVER go up kerbs, no impact damage to my knowledge, other than a minor top coat scape (noting white powdercoat was totall intact no breach to alluminium) .
Yet it was dented in 3 places.
Guy said on 285 wide tyres you have a lot of unsupported alloy, so our awful roads buckle all of them!

I guess if you are tanking it with a 5.5L engine, and hit a serious pothole; the S Class Coupe suspension hides it from you; But the impact at speed must generate a serious amount of kinetic energy, and low profile tyres just can’t absorb it!

Top Bottom