Degree in MB formatt?

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
Is it just me or does everyone struggle with learning about their new Merc? I feel as though I need to earn some sort of degree in how MB formatt there systems for the car. :rolleyes: :D

Barely anything is intuitive, (imho of course), but, a lot of that could be down to me being an old git, o_O :confused::confused:

I've needed the owners manual with this car, I'd have been lost without it, previously I only needed one for oddball jobs and specific items pertinent to which ever model of car I've been using.

I have spent the best part of 6 hours with the owners manual in my lap sitting in the car over yesterday and today, till I got the hang of what I can/need to know/do, of course there's a lot I probably haven't picked up yet but I will continue to try and learn as much as I can, it's in my own best interest after all.

Could it be that its because this is my first MB plus, I've started with a slightly higher spec model and so, have had more to learn than those who have had several Mercs over the years?

Don't get me wrong I love this car, but, I just think that they could have been made a little (a lot) more intuitive.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
It's only a car ..... :rolleyes:

When all else fails ..... read the instruction book. ;)

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Mercedes aren't the easiest of cars to learn. They have so much equipment fitted , it takes a while to become accustomed to the ways they work. The Comand system takes a lot of getting used to and you tend to discover things as you become more familiar with the car.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
..... They have so much equipment fitted ....l.

There's not.:confused: There's **** all in them unless the original buyer ticked boxes. Other makers of cars, have loads of stuff fitted as standard that comes as part of an option pack on a MB.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
^ Guess I was thinking of my own car which has quite a few options fitted.

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There's not.:confused: There's **** all in them unless the original buyer ticked boxes. Other makers of cars, have loads of stuff fitted as standard that comes as part of an option pack on a MB.

I guess I must have been lucky with this one then, it's an all singing, all dancing thing. I discovered the adaptive lights tonight, kept me chortling for quite a while, also amused my youngest no end too.

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo

Before we go into which car maker has what, you mainly pay for the badge. Go get a similar sized BMW or Audi, don’t even have folding wing mirrors as standard. The options list is how they make most of their money after all.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
When I got the Malcolm spec 230 I spent a day reading the manual. Its such a complex vehicle it requires use of the manual to understand how it all works. The manual lives in the glovebox now in case I still need to refer to it.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
When I got the Malcolm spec 230 I spent a day reading the manual. Its such a complex vehicle it requires use of the manual to understand how it all works. The manual lives in the glovebox now in case I still need to refer to it.

It's a sign of defeat if you resort to reading the manual :rolleyes:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Before we go into which car maker has what, you mainly pay for the badge. Go get a similar sized BMW or Audi, don’t even have folding wing mirrors as standard. The options list is how they make most of their money after all.

On my last couple of cars, Omega Elite & 24v Senator, the only (no cost) options were NOT leather & 3 pedals instead of the default auto

Last edited:
OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Mine does too, for the very same reason, lol.
Mainly because my memory is shot, the only way I remember things these days is through repetitive use, and no it's not alzheimer's thank goodness. I had a brain haemorrhage several years ago which rather scrambled my brain somewhat.

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's a sign of defeat if you resort to reading the manual :rolleyes:

I would have thought it was more a sign of wanting to learn about the car and perhaps, as is my case, being saddled with a poor memory.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
The array of kit in these cars is dazzling. I've owned mine for over a year and I'm constantly finding out new stuff . I read the manual dutifully in the first few weeks, but my powers of absorbtion and retention were challenged continuously. I've learned more from reading this forum. I've never had the knowledge and skill to maintain a car myself, but I read all the tech stuff too, to get some idea of the mechanical difficulties I should be listening for. I will never master every wrinkle, but sheer delight keeps me coming back to the car to poke and prod with curiosity.

I don't allow myself to drive it every day. I have a little runaround (Peugeot 206) to do the mundane mileage, so the 230 is a treat every time. It drinks the petrol of course, but like good champagne it makes me smile broadly.

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom