Depreciation vs Maintenance.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
The problem with the above for some, is that cars can be very emotive, and people treat them very differently.
My mates car, I'm almost loathed to take a lift in it (even pre-coronavirus) for fear I'd catch rabies or the plague.
My car is spotless inside and out (most importantly inside).
I don't know how cheap car rent would have to be for me to get over the state some people leave cars in. Picking noses. Coughing. Chucking rubbish everywhere. Getting in with massively muddy boots and dogs, with mud all scrapped into the speaker grills in the door and all over the seat base.
It's different with today's car rental, as you rent for a specified period of time (e.g. 7 days on holiday) and quality control and cleaning can be easily accomplished between users. But I think (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the fat-cat eutopia of the model you are suggesting is almost an individual journey-by-journey approach. A bit like Boris bikes or whatever.
Being able to 'sweat' the asset for use 16 hours a day, vs 0.16 hours or whatever someone might normally use their own car for.

CARE BY VOLVO - this appears to be what I was referring to. Seems like its not a trial anymore but, full on now.

"For one monthly payment with no deposit, you get an all-inclusive package with the option of adding insurance. Plus, the flexibility to switch or cancel with just 3 months' notice at anytime. What's more, you can try for 30 days with insurance*. No notice period or exit fee. We’ll even include home delivery of your car." This is the jist of it but the link goes into more detail.

XC40 - £559 p/mnth (starting from) :shock: = £6,708 in 1 year in its cheapest form
XC60 - £629 p/mnth (starting from) :shock: = £7,548 in 1 year in its cheapest form
XC90 - £799 p/mnth (starting from) :shock: = £9,588 in 1 year in its cheapest form

Holy f*cking moly, £6-10K p/year down the drain! (IMO) I say down the drain as one will never own that asset. You can buy and own a decent motor for that!

This is better than a McDonalds franchise!

Last edited:

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
In Spain this is already widespread among most manufacturers and they even market it as "renting". Typically anything from 200 to 700 a month for a new car for 3 or 4 years renting and the only thing you pay is fuel (insurance always included). They dont allow switching or canceling though which is probably why Volvo have to charge so much as people will be getting new cars every 3 months and not 3 years!

Whilst I'm more inclined for long term ownership, Id much rather go "renting" than lease. If i wasnt going to own it anyway and would change every x years why bother with a finance Co, gfv, and insurance Co and remember to pay the ved, shop around for service/tyres etc when I can just pay a fixed fee and be done with it.

As everything is included I believe the "renting" works out cheaper than lease here. Obviously the fact it's a new car depreciating for 3 years has to be paid for so it'll never be as cheap as long term ownership but it's favorable to lease/hp where you also don't own the car anyway. I dont see it as that controversial and more of a logical way to "own" a new car than the current finance setups.

Last edited:
Reactions: DSK

JDPEClassUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Estate E220d (2019)
As stated earlier I think - you could lose £30k in depreciation over 3yrs on an XC90 so very similar in actual cost to the user?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
@Mr Greedy - if I read you post right, the Volvo thing is not like a Boris bike scheme or those rental car app things but, rather like popping to a dealership, selecting a new car but, rather than lease/pcp/hire and whatever other nonsense they call it plus, tax, gap insurance, maintenance etc, all get wrapped up into one monthly payment, for however long you wish to rent the car for (same as typical 2/3/4/5yr else deals the dealers offer now). The monthly payment would be determined by model/rental term/mileage etc and then you hand back at the end (IIRC).
Ah, okay. I see. thanks for clarifying. I hadn't heard that approach, but it make sense as a nearer term option than what I wrote.

I got the wrong end of the stick, because I've also heard the fat-cat utopian dream I wrote about mentioned previously by 'manufacturers and experts' on how we should be doing the journey by journey rental because it's environmentally friendly (and someone somewhere will be making a ton of cash).

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ah, okay. I see. thanks for clarifying. I hadn't heard that approach, but it make sense as a nearer term option than what I wrote.

I got the wrong end of the stick, because I've also heard the fat-cat utopian dream I wrote about mentioned previously by 'manufacturers and experts' on how we should be doing the journey by journey rental because it's environmentally friendly (and someone somewhere will be making a ton of cash).

Ah right, I hadn't heard about what you are referring to as a formal agenda but, as you say, the fat cats will present it in a format that makes its appear like a bed of bed of roses.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In Spain this is already widespread among most manufacturers and they even market it as "renting". Typically anything from 200 to 700 a month for a new car for 3 or 4 years renting and the only thing you pay is fuel (insurance always included). They dont allow switching or canceling though which is probably why Volvo have to charge so much as people will be getting new cars every 3 months and not 3 years!

Whilst I'm more inclined for long term ownership, Id much rather go "renting" than lease. If i wasnt going to own it anyway and would change every x years why bother with a finance Co, gfv, and insurance Co and remember to pay the ved, shop around for service/tyres etc when I can just pay a fixed fee and be done with it.

As everything is included I believe the "renting" works out cheaper than lease here. Obviously the fact it's a new car depreciating for 3 years has to be paid for so it'll never be as cheap as long term ownership but it's favorable to lease/hp where you also don't own the car anyway. I dont see it as that controversial and more of a logical way to "own" a new car than the current finance setups.

I agree that with lease/pcp and all those other options, one never owns the car and I can see how having, 1 payment covering several aspects is more sensible and manageable.

My issue is that its always marketed as in the interest of the customer etc, dressed up this way or that way but, only the auto industry wins whether the consumer can see that or not.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Interesting post by the op...

So for business reasons I drive a new (Jan 18) C220cdi which I have on 3 year lease. Mainly, so my business can reduce its corp tax bill and after grafting hard for so many years its nice to be able to do it. I put £3k down and pay £330 per month for it.

Would I do it if it wasnt a benefit to my tax deduction? Probably not. Previously Ive always ran older Mercs.

The family wagon is a 2009 ML320cdi which I paid £7800 for in 2017. So far its cost me 2 sets of tyres and a set of pads and discs all round. I bought it with 103k miles on it and its now done 140k miles.

So far my C class has cost me £3950 per year and if you include the road tax my ML has cost me £2325 per year.

IMO both are bargains. The C Class means I have 100% a set of wheels so I can get to work because if it breaks, its not my problem and ill get a replacement set of wheels to keep working. If the ML breaks its still in the zone of being a bargain basement car with plenty of life left.

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
CARE BY VOLVO - this appears to be what I was referring to. Seems like its not a trial anymore but, full on now.

"For one monthly payment with no deposit, you get an all-inclusive package with the option of adding insurance. Plus, the flexibility to switch or cancel with just 3 months' notice at anytime. What's more, you can try for 30 days with insurance*. No notice period or exit fee. We’ll even include home delivery of your car." This is the jist of it but the link goes into more detail.

XC40 - £559 p/mnth (starting from) :shock: = £6,708 in 1 year in its cheapest form
XC60 - £629 p/mnth (starting from) :shock: = £7,548 in 1 year in its cheapest form
XC90 - £799 p/mnth (starting from) :shock: = £9,588 in 1 year in its cheapest form

Holy f*cking moly, £6-10K p/year down the drain! (IMO) I say down the drain as one will never own that asset. You can buy and own a decent motor for that!

This is better than a McDonalds franchise!

But hang on a mo...

What’s a new XC 40? £45,000 - So in the first year you will lose £15k at least in depreciation - and you can rent one, including insurance, serving etc for £6700 - if you wanted a new car every year, this is actually stupidly cheap.

NOW - most people don’t want a new car every year, but if I tell you that the average customer is leaving our dealership with a monthly payment around £400 and they have often paid £1500 deposit - then the above is a good deal.

HOWEVER it also proves my main point, that it’s that first 3 years depreciation that is the single biggest cost of motoring there is - nothing comes close.....

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Interesting post by the op...

So for business reasons I drive a new (Jan 18) C220cdi which I have on 3 year lease. Mainly, so my business can reduce its corp tax bill and after grafting hard for so many years its nice to be able to do it. I put £3k down and pay £330 per month for it.

Would I do it if it wasnt a benefit to my tax deduction? Probably not. Previously Ive always ran older Mercs.

The family wagon is a 2009 ML320cdi which I paid £7800 for in 2017. So far its cost me 2 sets of tyres and a set of pads and discs all round. I bought it with 103k miles on it and its now done 140k miles.

So far my C class has cost me £3950 per year and if you include the road tax my ML has cost me £2325 per year.

IMO both are bargains. The C Class means I have 100% a set of wheels so I can get to work because if it breaks, its not my problem and ill get a replacement set of wheels to keep working. If the ML breaks its still in the zone of being a bargain basement car with plenty of life left.
How has the ML cost you £2325 per year if that is all the repairs it’s needed? Unless you are charging yourself £1500 for a service on it lol

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.

This is better than a McDonalds franchise

Most people want a shiny new car (hence all the shiny new cars on the road). Some are happy to compromise and others have no choice. There was a time when cars were seen as a prized object & status symbol. These days everyone has one (even a "prestige" car like a MB is common).

I don't believe that anyone who could comfortably afford to buy a new car would choose to buy a 2nd hand (as they used to be known) car instead.

Many of the younger generation see cars as a consumable, that they can get in and drive and not worry about anything, to be replaced every three years. They are not looking at depreciation, maintenence etc ...they want flash (as flash as they can afford a monthly payment on) A to B wheels.

Car forum, presumably motoring enthusiasts, yet so many declarations of "a new car is a waste of money" , "I'm happy in my 100,000,000 miles old clunker", etc etc :p :shock:

Last edited:

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
How has the ML cost you £2325 per year if that is all the repairs it’s needed? Unless you are charging yourself £1500 for a service on it lol

I was talking about the cost of the vehicle plus the road fund. I dont class tyres and brakes as net costs, only breakdowns or failures and I havent had one yet touch wood.

ML - £7800+£1500/4

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Most people want a shiny new car (hence all the shiny new cars on the road). Some are happy to compromise and others have no choice. There was a time when cars were seen as a prized object & status symbol. These days everyone has one (even a "prestige" car like a MB is common).

I don't believe that anyone who could comfortably afford to buy a new car would choose to buy a 2nd hand (as they used to be known) car instead.

Many of the younger generation see cars as a consumable, that they can get in and drive and not worry about anything, to be replaced every three years. They are not looking at depreciation, maintenence etc ...they want flash (as flash as they can afford a monthly payment on) A to B wheels.

Car forum, presumably motoring enthusiasts, yet so many declarations of "a new car is a waste of money" , "I'm happy in my 100,000,000 miles old clunker", etc etc :p :shock:
Sadly, there is much truth in what you say

I think even if I was very wealthy (which I am not) I still wouldn’t buy a new car (with a couple of exceptions) as I hate wasting money. Having been in the motor trade most of my life I used to get a new car every six months. Although most were reliable, there were often silly “teething troubles” which had to be fixed, so if you want reliable, six months old is actually likely to be more reliable than new! Also a year old car is still (to my mind) “New”.

However, that’s if you have the money. If you have to take finance, sometimes a new car CAN be as cheap on the payments (or even cheaper) than a nearly new one due to 0% finance or very low rate deals.

The only real exception to this are EV’s - here they are moving forward at such a rate, a 3 year old one just isn’t competitive with the new crop, plus I worry that if in 3 years time my 200m range car will look silly against the then standard 500m range ones ( or whatever it is ) so I would strongly consider leasing / pcp then so there is that whole “hand it back” option.

But if I could afford a new car for just a good old standard car, there isn’t a reason on earth to make me buy a new one - 1-3 years old is where I would be looking......

Take one example below if you had 40k to spend on a car.....

You could get something like this new....

Or for the same money 2 years old or so.....

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102169127478. - Which was probably £70k 2 years ago......

And you can adopt the same philosophy on almost any car you like.....

New is for leasing and renting, used is for buying.... simples....

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was talking about the cost of the vehicle plus the road fund. I dont class tyres and brakes as net costs, only breakdowns or failures and I havent had one yet touch wood.

ML - £7800+£1500/4
But the ML hasn’t cost you that..... it’s still a very saleable asset worth what, £5k?

So £7800+1500 - 5000 = 4300 / 4 = £1075 per year.....

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thing is this is why its interesting, what is a waste (loss of money) to one, is insignificant to another. Some make do with work related stuff to use for business or car allowances etc as part of a job which, I get and some just think nothing of it and it suits them, which, again is fine and each one of us is different.

When I had the option of a company car many years back, I bought an M5 and took the fuel card, only to become the finance departments worst nightmare and receive quarterly pleas to change my ways or get a hotel.

I will never get my head around needing or buying a new car. One due to deprecation and you will be able to get almost or what you want used, be it 1 year old or more etc. I find it disgusting having tried to see what I was missing with leasing the 2 I did at the pressure of others insisting I'm missing out and I should care about my image...... Between them, over 6 years, they cost me £30K and then they went. £30K in 6 years for what? they did less for me than what a good quality used car does.

What you call an old clunker, not all are. Many old cars are run into the ground, never maintained and feel it. Then there's those that will outshine a new one! Week before last, I spent £680 putting a fresh set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym 5's on the CLS. ow many people do this? Not a lot! most people will be shocked at the cost of such tyres and buy the cheapest sh!t they can. Most people I see with new cars come into our tyre garage's wanting the cheapest new or part worns on their new cars and its usually the more premium brands and models where this is common. The 190,000 and 265,000 mile C70s have no rust underneath (treated) or on the outside despite original paint and still every bit as good as a new one on any parking lot. I still have them due to build quality and reliability.

Now, as MBDebvotee says, I'm a dealers worst customer so I know off the bat, I'll get a worse deal than someone on finance terms. So this is also why I tend to buy privately and put the money in the hands of someone who needs it move on and/or pay the bills. Its been mentioned, in the thread you can take out finance and pay it off early and still get a deal. Now whilst this is probably a win win for many, for me, personally, its a ****** unnecessary pain in the @rse. I'd rather just pay & go,I do not buy my groceries and furniture on finance and neither do I wish to buy a car in that manner. I'm an old fashioned simpleton.

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yeh, we have customers who pay £400 even £450 for a nice car a month, but then when they change tyres put the worst and cheapest on.....

It’s almost like the finance payments are meaningless as they are “in the budget” but maintenance is skimped because it’s an “unforeseen expense”.

I once had a “friend” who was struggling with the money, and was 18 - his car insurance was £1100 a year x and his old nail was costing him a bomb in maintenance.

At the time I worked for Peugeot and sold him a new 106 diesel (old, a N reg I think it was) which came with a years free insurance on a pcp, took his old nail off him and he was paying £130 a month for a car that did 76 to the gallon, had 3 years warranty and at the end of the first year, if he didn’t claim and renewed with the same insurance co they gave him a full 60% ncd (these became so popular, insurance companies now ask how many years ncd you have, not just how much ncd!)

Anyhow, he got to 18 months in, 60z ncd, car was costing him buttons to run but yes, it was dull......

He went and bought a Vauxhall Senator 24v (with cloth of all things) which cost him £220 a month and his logic was he “could afford the payments......l

He could, what he couldn’t afford was the servicing, tyres, fuel and everything else, and he had to have it re-possessed a year later......

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I guess my point there is that all most youngsters want is flash - they have no concept of living within their means - it’s the same with mobile phones!

How on earth can a mobile phone be worth £1200 or so, when as far as I can see it does very little a £300 one will not do?

My kids laugh at me as my phone cost £200 secondhand, but it has a HD screen, calls, texts, WhatsApp, web browsing, runs any apps I want, so what the heck do these newer monster money phones do that mine doesn’t?!

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
I'm not a new car guy. I could be via my company car scheme, but I'm not very wealthy and certainly no where near my guesstimate of rorywquin's wealth level. So I have to make choices.
Everyone at work on my sort of grade/pay takes the company car. They roughly pay £500 a month out in BIK taxes. I roughly receive an extra £500 into my pay packet because I don't take the car. That all goes straight in my rubbish pension, so I see all of it.
I bought my Merc for not much more than most colleages pay in one year in tax, so that I can hopefully have other things that I will value in the long run. Namely, not having to keep working 50+ hours a week until I'm 75 over the next 4 decades :shock:

All the youth just glibly quip 'I'll work until I die/I'll never retire so I don't have to worry about my pension'. (give me bling stuff I can't afford now because I'm probably shallow/insecure and too immature to realise what I'm saying)

If the youth are the exception and do have the money backing them up, either through fortune in work or family or whatever, then of course the choice is fundamentally different. But earnings wide, for most people the new car now is potentially at the expense of massive hardship later. The gaping chasm in pension arrangements of the past is one major factor, and I suspect will come home to bite in a catastrophic way in the next couple of decades.

Last edited:

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
I'm just thinking here why people actually have a new car? If it is to enable them to work then fair enough.

For me at least, the COVID situation and working from home has worked out well as I cancelled my season ticket last year and received a pro-rata return of around 70% and this year have saved 100% so far so all in around £7500.
If that was a car it would probably be sat on my drive depreciating away.
On the flipside though there is 20 years of train fares I'll never see again apart from the fact I was able to travel to work.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Sadly, there is much truth in what you say

I think even if I was very wealthy (which I am not) I still wouldn’t buy a new car (with a couple of exceptions) as I hate wasting money. ..
Reminds me of a person I know with a normal job like the rest of us. He always maintained that having a flash car was just a waste of money and not needed. Whats the advantage a flash new car vs a basic VW golf ?? etc etc.

Couple of years ago, he came into a decent sum of money from his grandmother.........guess what his first purchase was.

People do change their thinking when it comes to windfalls or having a lot of money.

The thing with a fancy car is that is (generally) a very 'in your face' statement of one's financial status. More so than jewellery, watches or anything else. It is mobile & you are seen in it.

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Views on money change, or that change is forced upon us.

At one point I owned 3 houses which we rented out.

Through some bad luck combined with poor decisions, and poor information, I don’t have them any more.

So I wanted to retire at 55 with a decent pension (3 houses paid for and rented out) and low outgoings (a fourth house fully paid for I lived in) but none of that is happening for me now.

A bad marriage to a complete spendthrift means I am now 50 with none of the thing so I planned, and worried about the future - and I see these kids spending £70 a month on a phone, £400 a month an a car and so on.

The welfare state is set up to reward those who fail to live within their means or save for the future.

My Mum, who’s been thrifty all her life has substantial assets (house and investments) that will be used up if she ever goes into long-term care. Yet had she wasted everything, she would have got the same care, paid by the government.

I would hate to live on benefits, yet I see people on them able to pay for expensive cars, holidays and so on, and can’t help but wonder if somehow I’ve got it wrong!

And certainly, if someone doesn’t have enough of a sense of self-worth, that they think the latest plate car will make them somehow appear “better” I’d be sad for them. I used to get some really nice comments about my black CLK, which was 10 years old when I bought it - but it was a stunningly pretty car with it’s AMG alloys and so forth - and that was nice - but I never felt I “needed” that validation.

Maybe it’s to do with how you have been all your life - if I win the £180m lottery tonight, will I be out spending some of it - god yeh! Nice car, nice house, nice boat...... but not till the money has cleared into my bank, and even then they won’t be brand new cars or boats (the holidays will be new, tricky to get them 2nd hand!). But they will be seriously nice cars, boats, houses! I just don’t think I could bring myself to “waste” money even if I had almost limitless amounts of it...... Just how I’ve been brought up I guess.

AMF Automotive - We are an independent Mercedes-Benz and AMG specialist located in Paddock Wood, Kent, with full Mercedes Diagnostic equipment. We offer a full portfolio of tuning options for AMGs and can cater for all your Mercedes needs.
Tel: 0203 384 4644www.amfmercedes.com/
Top Bottom