1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Device/Software to read fault codes ?

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by Axcontrols, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Axcontrols

Axcontrols Senior Member

Anyone recommend a device for reading (possibly clearing) fault codes ?

I've seen them for other makes of car, UBS gadget plugs into a laptop etc.

Anything like that for a Merc ? (2003 ML270 CDI).#

If so I'd ask Santa to bring me one.

Thanks
    Ian

2. WG M-B

WG M-B Senior Member Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    C63 Wagon in black
    You can buy generic obd code readers for very little money. I would imagine that they will only interrogate the engine and possibly transmission ecu's. Mybe another member could advise better. Im spoilt with star :)

3. michael8664

michael8664 Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    2005 ML 270CDI W163 Auto, 2002 A160 Auto W168
    I have as 2005 ML 270 CDI Auto.
    I have a £60 Autel MS509 handheld reader used on previous cars, it only does the engine.
    For the Merc I bought a Carsoft 7.4 Multiplexer and installed the software on an old IBM T23 laptop which had the necessary Serial socket (USB to Serial converters do not work with this software, that's everyone's experience not just mine ).
    This does a reasonably good job on the whole car - for instance reads the gearbox temp, you use the dipstick when it's at 80C.
    Next up is the whole Mercedes Star DAS system which gives you everything, but costs £400+. If you have a longterm love affair with Mercs then this may pay for itself over a few years.
    I've a feeling the Autel MaxiDiag EU702 may do a good job on the whole car at about £150 but I've no experience of the unit - other members may know.