Diesel emission reduction additive tank

Vale of Uscon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class estate 3.0l 2014
All,

I’ve just joined the forum and would like to ask about the additive tank which is in the spare wheel well of my E class 3.0L D estate 2014.
I would like to replace/remove it and put a spare wheel back. Which I think is what all cars should have.
Can it be done.
Thanks in advance
Simon

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
All,

I’ve just joined the forum and would like to ask about the additive tank which is in the spare wheel well of my E class 3.0L D estate 2014.
I would like to replace/remove it and put a spare wheel back. Which I think is what all cars should have.
Can it be done.
Thanks in advance
Simon
If it's the adblue additive for diesel I think you need to keep it or the car will throw up warning lights when it's not there (not to mention emissions ! )

Streetfighter1100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 Convertible
if you remove your add blue tank, your car will not start. If you run out of add blue, your car will refuse to start too.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
All,

Can it be done.
Thanks in advance
Simon

There are various adblue emulators out there allowing removal of the system,
depending on where you are of course availability might mean a long trip.

https://www.cardiag.com/support/adblue-emulator-configurator/

https://www.avontuning.co.uk/contact

Last edited:
OP
V

Vale of Uscon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class estate 3.0l 2014
All,
Thanks for the comments.
I wasn’t set on removal, replacement with a smaller unit will suffice.
I do a lot of miles and a real spare wheel is very sensible. The prospect of being stuck miles from home with a flat tyre waiting for the AA or filling it full if sticky gunk isn’t something A position I want to be in.

Any thoughts?
Regards
Simon

CJD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 AMG Line, Premium Plus, S205 Estate, 2018
If you are really set on carrying a spare wheel - a very sensible thing to do.
Why not just carry it in the load area of your boot, whilst it takes up a bit of room it's a much easier thing to do than trying to remove your Adblue tank.

OP
V

Vale of Uscon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class estate 3.0l 2014
CJD,
You’re right I thought that might be the only option. It’s just annoying that the thing will be stuck in the load area sliding around, when the place it should be is the purpose made well. Together with a proper tool kit.
I suppose I’m a bit fed up as manufacturers are forcing these situations on us and we have to compromise.
It’s not on really.
Regards,
Simon

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Yes a spare wheel and bag are the only option stowed in the load area unfortunately, I share your views on carrying a spare and would do the same. Probably worth engineering a strap so that the wheel can be secured and stowed upright against a boot sidepanel which is possible on the estate but may not be on the saloon

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
CJD,
You’re right I thought that might be the only option. It’s just annoying that the thing will be stuck in the load area sliding around, when the place it should be is the purpose made well. Together with a proper tool kit.
I suppose I’m a bit fed up as manufacturers are forcing these situations on us and we have to compromise.
It’s not on really.
Regards,
Simon
In a collision a spare wheel that is able to slide about in the rear of an estate car will become a very heavy projectile aimed, more than likely, at the back of your head. So...tie it down.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
If it has Ad Blue does the car not have "Run On Flat" tyres?

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
All,
Thanks for the comments.
I wasn’t set on removal, replacement with a smaller unit will suffice.
I do a lot of miles and a real spare wheel is very sensible. The prospect of being stuck miles from home with a flat tyre waiting for the AA or filling it full if sticky gunk isn’t something A position I want to be in.

Any thoughts?
Regards
Simon

When did you last suffer a tyre problem that prevented you from proceeding on your journey? Or know of someone who did?

Are you incapable of changing a wheel or operating a squirty can?

Perhaps you should employ a chauffeur if those things are outwith your capabilities as a Driving Licence holder :shock::shock: or surrender your licence.

Get some perspective please.

In my 2.6 million miles of driving, I've had to change a wheel on the roadside exactly once.

Is there a skinny spare missing from your car that sits over the AdBlu tank? Perhaps there is a stud or threaded blind nut that gives a clue? A set of different wheel bolts in the compartment that facilitate the fitment of a skinny spare wheel? A big plastic 'nut' stashed away somewhere?

My 2 AdBlu Mercs have both had skinny spares, despite not being on the build sheet, one above the AdBlu tank under the boot floor.

What if you reduce the AdBlu tank such that your range is sufficiently reduced you run out mid journey?

Does your wagon not have tie down rings in the boot floor you can secure a spare wheel to via straps or a cargo net?

Did you not consider the scenario when you purchased the car, or did you just blindly buy it?

Are you Calum?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
It’s interesting to note that Ford, Toyota and VW are now offering a space saver spare as an option. My daughter is about to order a new Golf and it will be on the list

OP
V

Vale of Uscon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class estate 3.0l 2014
Keefysher,
I’m sorry you feel this is an emotive subject.
I wasn’t intending to wind anyone up.
Just checking my options.
I’m currently using a Mazda6 estate for long trips and would you believe 2 punctures in 57k miles although both were slow ones, so I was able to get home. Neither were repairable either. Although I wasn’t surprised with that one.

JBell,
I’ll have to check the run flat option.
I haven’t actually checked that one as the car comes with a tin of tyre gunk I assumed not.

Thanks for your comments.
Regards
Simon

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I haven’t actually checked that one as the car comes with a tin of tyre gunk I assumed not.

You are probably right then, they will be expecting you to call Mobilo to get it all sorted in the event of a catastrophic failure where the tyre is destroyed

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
I've had two punctures in the last 15 years that needed the use of the spare to get me home or to a garage. We choose our cars with the presence of at least a spave saver being a consideration. The Porsches have collapsable spares - but then the defunct wheel has to go on the passenger seat... Been there, done that!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom