Diesel Fuel Additives/Cleaners

PROJUMPER

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes
Are Fuel cleaning additives a good thing? are they worth using? how frequently?
and finally, what brands do you recommend?

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Depends on the mileage and usage really.

Probably cheaper to just use half a dozen tanks of the premium fuels like Shell Optimum as they have additional detergents in them.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Always very good reports from Miller Plus for diesels, for petrol's then as member 400ixl, the odd tank of 98 petrol.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You can get a diesel equivalent now of the Shell fuels.

If the car is very high mileage and not had this type of fuel or additives in its life I wouldn't use a fuel additive now.

Mr Hatt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI Sport S211 2009, CLS320cdi Sport C219 2006, CLK320 Cab W209 2005
I recently bought two 500ml bottles of Redex diesel additive for £8 at Halfords for a 200,000 mile E280, half a bottle per tank and after two tanks the results were superb, much smoother drive/acceleration and increased mpg, for a car with lots of carbon on injector tips it is invaluable to help redirect the spray pattern and return efficiency of combustion but on low mileage cars I would doubt it will make much difference, good fuel is the key so all that muck never gets placed there in the first place, avoid supermarkets (except Sainsburys who buy shell) and only visit busy forecourts with good turn over of stock, additives in general are only needed if you do not do the job right in the first place, (I should know, I sold thousands of them over the years) kind regards steve

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I put a bottle of Redex through every month, it does make a difference, car feels smoother

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can we not trott out the BS about supermarkets. Sainsbury's do not just buy Shell, they buy whatever is the best value on the market for that part of the country. The same as all of the others except where they have their own refinery in that area. Exception being where they have their own Premium brands like Optimax as that always comes from the same source.

Far too many staff and supply chain people have come out and debunked all of this for enough years now, but for some reason it still gets trotted out.

A supermarket with high turnover is more likely to have good conditioned underground tanks than some brand forecourts which have older and lower usage.

Last edited:

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Millers ecomax for me at every fill.

KeithJG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320CDI Sport Edition S203 2006 V6 7g
After owning performance cars all my motoring life and also using additives for most of them i have settled to this particular one which blows the socks off any of them ........especially Redex which is absolute rubbish!

STP is excellent and so is Wynns but BG44K is brilliant.

Petrol or Diesel in each one.

This so far for me is the best of the bunch combined with Shell Nitro fuel.

Attachments

• Additive.jpg
    Additive.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Mr Hatt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can we not trott out the BS about supermarkets. Sainsbury's do not just buy Shell, they buy whatever is the best value on the market for that part of the country. The same as all of the others except where they have their own refinery in that area. Exception being where they have their own Premium brands like Optimax as that always comes from the same source.

Far too many staff and supply chain people have come out and debunked all of this for enough years now, but for some reason it still gets trotted out.

A supermarket with high turnover is more likely to have good conditioned underground tanks than some brand forecourts which have older and lower usage.

II find opinions are fine when voiced a little more maturely but offering knowledge based on actual experience not hearsay about what a lorry driver once said is perhaps a bit more helpful to all concerned, being accused of trotting out BS is what I would expect from the members of lesser forums, why not quote your hands on experience and knowledge of the oil industry for us so we can make an informed decision about your "opinion" being relevant instead of us having to see you write off my 10 years of experience negotiating contracts with the buyers of the big groups mentioned.
Oh and just for the record, the good condition of underground tanks makes no difference if you are buying a poor quality base product from third world suppliers on the spot market because your supermarket does not appreciate that you get what you pay for, a some do.

stwat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 300SE
ess6W8Q.gif

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
There are a lot of posts about supermarket fuel but I have seen no real proof if it being it worse than branded fuels, and the opinions between, posters saying they are in the oil industry, appears to differ. I can accept that premium fuels contain more beneficial additives and may be better long term than base fuels, but personally I have noticed no difference using them. Base fuel prices do not seem to differ much at supermarkets I find either. My local shell garage is similarly priced to Tesco.
I think 400ix was just pointing out he thought the fuel discussion had run its course, but maybe his reference to BS was uncalled for if it differed from his opinion.
What's a lesser forum anyway?

Last edited:

Mr Hatt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's the face my missus has when she asks why some things not working and I start to tell her but she does not give a toss because what she meant was, Fix it!
Come to think about it she eats a bit like him too

Mr Hatt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There are a lot of posts about supermarket fuel but I have seen no real proof if it being it worse than branded fuels, and the opinions between, posters saying they are in the oil industry, appears to differ. I can accept that premium fuels contain more beneficial additives and may be better long term than base fuels, but personally I have noticed no difference using them. Base fuel prices do not seem to differ much at supermarkets I find either. My local shell garage is similarly priced to Tesco.
I think 400ix was just pointing out he thought the fuel discussion had run its course, but maybe his reference to BS was uncalled for if it differed from his opinion.
What's a lesser forum anyway?

Gerald stick some imitation carbon fibre on your 1999 Focus, paint your windows black and a lesser forum will seek you out fella oh and that baseball cap needs to go sideways innit bud

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Your statement is contrary to the buyer for Sainsbury I know personally.

Pretty much all forecourt companies buy from the market on what is cheapest at the time, that is a fact and has been confirmed multiple times by both buyers and suppliers. Some exceptions where geographically a company has a refinery they own or get supplies from.

Good example was the silicon issue which came from one refinery and effected both supermarket (Tesco, Sainsbury, Asda) and Brand (BP, Texaco etc). In this case not Shell as they were using a different refinery. Wouldn't have effected Sainsburys if they only bought Shell, but it did, and caused by friend no end of hassle for weeks.

Many tanker drivers have also testified to this fact, my brother in law did this for a while, confirming picking up from multiple refineries for the same brand supplier.

I also know a couple of people who actually develop fuels for a living and know a fair bit about the industry.

Apologies if it came across harshly, but this keeps getting trotted out giving people completely the wrong information and confuses the situation.

Pretty much no difference of consequence (minor blend differences) between Sainsbury, Asda or Tesco normal fuels than there is of BP, Texaco, Shell etc. When you start looking at the premium fuels by the suppliers, then you are looking at fuels which are from specific refineries and blends differer more.

You are correct, tanks would make little difference if the fuel was different, but as it isn't it can. Although standards are much higher these days so probably pretty unlikely unless its some village station which doesn't get a huge amount of use or is old.

I'm not even going to react to you post about your missus, If you feel you need to post in that manner then you carry on.

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
Gerald stick some imitation carbon fibre on your 1999 Focus, paint your windows black and a lesser forum will seek you out fella oh and that baseball cap needs to go sideways innit bud

I have no idea what you are you are on about, but if you think Fords are a lesser car then maybe you haven't owned one. My 1999 Focus was excellent but then it was returned in 2002 as lease expired.

Mr Hatt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have no idea what you are you are on about, but if you think Fords are a lesser car then maybe you haven't owned one. My 1999 Focus was excellent but then it was returned in 2002 as lease expired.

Yeah but we are talking about now in 2016 Gerald, my company Maestro was goodish in its day, have you not seen the boy racer forums for teenagers who have very old cars with poor quality customising?, you must have seen like 10 year old VW Polos with the springs ground in half to lower them and the wheels cambered out with tapers ? they always wear baseball hats turned sideways and say stuff like innit though and nowatamean, you must have at least watched Police Interceptors on the TV, they pull them up all the time ??

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
Yeah but we are talking about now in 2016 Gerald, my company Maestro was goodish in its day, have you not seen the boy racer forums for teenagers who have very old cars with poor quality customising?, you must have seen like 10 year old VW Polos with the springs ground in half to lower them and the wheels cambered out with tapers ? they always wear baseball hats turned sideways and say stuff like innit though and nowatamean, you must have at least watched Police Interceptors on the TV, they pull them up all the time ??

What does this have to do with additives.

Last edited:

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
My 12 year old focus was a ****** brilliant car.

And a few posts up it should be 'affected'.

The EFFECT of an event AFFECTS you.

Thank you I'm here all week.

Last edited:

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom