Diesel Fuel Additives/Cleaners

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
My 12 year old focus was a ****** brilliant car.

And a few posts up it should be 'affected'.

The EFFECT of an event AFFECTS you.

Thank you I'm here all week.

To what post number are you referring please?

Mr Hatt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI Sport S211 2009, CLS320cdi Sport C219 2006, CLK320 Cab W209 2005
Nor me sleep well fella

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
I used some Archoil AR6400 last time, I had a really rough idle and it sorted it out immediately.

KeithJG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320CDI Sport Edition S203 2006 V6 7g
There are a lot of posts about supermarket fuel but I have seen no real proof if it being it worse than branded fuels, and the opinions between, posters saying they are in the oil industry, appears to differ. I can accept that premium fuels contain more beneficial additives and may be better long term than base fuels, but personally I have noticed no difference using them.

I am really surprised that you cannot tell the difference between a base fuel and a premium one being used in your car BUT you can tell the difference between a basic Ford and a Mercedes Benz motor?......perhaps your bottom is more numb than you think so the feel is limited when you actually drive....lol

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
I am really surprised that you cannot tell the difference between a base fuel and a premium one being used in your car BUT you can tell the difference between a basic Ford and a Mercedes Benz motor?......perhaps your bottom is more numb than you think so the feel is limited when you actually drive....lol

Can't you accept my opinion is different to yours without posting a stupid reply!!!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I used to use Millers in my Defender. It definitely made it feel quieter, smoother and reduced the amount of soot. That said a litre of two stroke oil achieved much the same thing for less cost.

In reference to fuels my Smart prefers Tesco super unleaded to BP or any other brand with the possible exception of Shell Optimax and Gulf.
As a result I generally fill it with Tesco fuels when I can and the same for the SL - it gets Tesco as well when possible.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
The only one that has been 'proven' to do anything is the Millers Sport Diesel Power Ecomax. That will raise the Cetane levels by approx 3. But standard diesel (certainly for Shell and BP) has a higher Cetane level than the VPower/Ultimate. What you get with those is a different blend of cleaners.

This is not me saying everyone else is talking rubbish. Far from it.

I tried 2T oil in my 2011 C350 CDI and over 4K miles it made no discernible difference.

I generally stick to the larger brands although since moving to North Yorkshire I have a Tesco within 1 mile of my house. With it being a Garrison it's always being used so no chance of fuel sitting in the tanks for a while.

If I use Tesco I stick a shot of Millers in it for good measure.

This is my fuel consumption in the C350 over 20k miles. I'm not claiming it proved anything. But if you just take the stats as a whole then BP gives you the most MPG. But Shell is very close behind at more than double the mileage.

9c23a395a41d5b144d00c8408b9fb116.jpg

Currently in the E250

9526a828460c31d34ae4d45e70e8c49b.jpg

Mr Hatt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now that's the way to voice an opinion, much respect for that info and kudos for those stats, we can all learn something from that which I guess is what the forum is all about kind regards steve

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Interesting that extended post seems to suggest a substantially different calorific value for certain retailers fuel ?

I do hope we can drop that you get what you pay for nonsense out of the discussion its a myth no wonder we are called rip off Britain.

Dogfish

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL203 C220 CDI SE Sports Coupe. 2002.
Archoil diesel cleaner

Ran my C220 for over 37k on supermarket fuel until the car died. One HP pump, one draw pump, one dead glow plug and one injector later she ran but very rough.

Added Archoil diesel cleaner and switched to Shell fuels.

What a difference after 1000 miles. Its put the punch back into my motor. I don't think Archoil is snake oil despite it's relatively high price as it has worked for me. :p

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Ran my C220 for over 37k on supermarket fuel until the car died. One HP pump, one draw pump, one dead glow plug and one injector later she ran but very rough.

Added Archoil diesel cleaner and switched to Shell fuels.

What a difference after 1000 miles. Its put the punch back into my motor. I don't think Archoil is snake oil despite it's relatively high price as it has worked for me. :p

oddly my 203 was bought with 7k miles on it, sold with over 130k miles on and it was run on nothing BUT supermarket fuel.

Mr Hatt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Interesting that extended post seems to suggest a substantially different calorific value for certain retailers fuel ?

I do hope we can drop that you get what you pay for nonsense out of the discussion its a myth no wonder we are called rip off Britain.

Did you actually look at the stats? I thought it showed the most expensive fuels resulted in significant gains in MPG ?? MEDIC! increase my dosage will you ?

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Did you actually look at the stats? I thought it showed the most expensive fuels resulted in significant gains in MPG ?? MEDIC! increase my dosage will you ?

I honestly can't say if they do or don't. There are a whole host of reasons for the disparity in mpg.

Ambient temp
Road surface
Weather
Who was driving
Traffic

Etc etc. This is why I said if you just look at the stats it tells you one thing. But it wasn't scientific. The only 3 variables that didn't change was it was the same car and I was a driver and so was the wife.

If I were to show it a different way you can see here what the highest mpg was over a journey. It was done on Tesco fuel.

47813ca1b954bfef4d3342525b7809b3.jpg

On Shell the highest I achieved was as shown. But it was on a different date in a different part of the country.

9a26c6f576f53eade6e901ec38874ebe.jpg

However the car had a B service in between and the fuel filter was replaced as it was 4yrs old along with air and oil filters. So that could be a reason why the Tesco one was slightly higher.

Hence why I never trust figures that are bandied around without some substance behind it.

Coincidentally the I kept the long term mpg going on the car (the one that never resets unless you do it) and it said 35.9mpg over the life I had it.

This is what it actually worked out at

197755e00541dce0896480460fdb7f5f.jpg

So the car is actually quite accurate.

The E250 is similar. The car is currently saying I have averaged 34.9mpg.

The actual value is

baa28c4337bc21fbd573cb795ba08e8c.jpg

So on the face of it Shell/BP etc appear to give you more MPG. But there is an awful lot that can affect that.

Diesels generally don't react the same way to the super fuels as a tuned petrol car does.

The super fuels/additives are good to use to clean the car out. But once it's clean, it's clean and it isn't getting any cleaner. I have seen it recommended to use super diesel fuels every 5th tank as a maintenance regime.

But honestly I think it's down to what the driver prefers and what their bum tells them when he/she drives. Placebo affect or driver convincing themselves it may be. But as long as it works for them I don't think you'll ever get a definitive answer.

You certainly won't see enough difference to warrant spending this!!

76927ca80257a7cb734d07f57ab54f3c.jpg

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom