Diesel Fuel Additives/Cleaners

Mr Hatt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI Sport S211 2009, CLS320cdi Sport C219 2006, CLK320 Cab W209 2005
But you do put a shot of Millers in whenever you use Tesco which suggests your bum tells you it needs it and, the original question this thread asked, are additives any good? yeah Millers obviously is kind regards Steve

Mr Hatt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I do but only because I'm OCD. :p

I thought you were an Officer of some kind, you don't just look after CD`s though surely ? I thought the MOD were cutting back

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Ran my C220 for over 37k on supermarket fuel until the car died. One HP pump, one draw pump, one dead glow plug and one injector later she ran but very rough.

Added Archoil diesel cleaner and switched to Shell fuels.

What a difference after 1000 miles. Its put the punch back into my motor. I don't think Archoil is snake oil despite it's relatively high price as it has worked for me. :p

I've ran mine for 10 years on Tesco fuel, still all original pumps, glow plugs & injectors and now nearly 125,000 miles. For an occasional treat I put a drop of 2 stroke in. If your blaming supermarket fuel for damaging your engine parts you're very wrong!

Dogfish

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL203 C220 CDI SE Sports Coupe. 2002.
Rf065, I'm not blaming supermarket fuel for killing my car, that dubious honor goes to me and former keepers for not servicing strictly as per the Mercedes schedule I think. Not every stamp is present and some periods were extended to nearly double the recommendation. In the end the cat was blocked, the turbo wasn't spooling properly and oil was leaking everywhere from all sorts of orifices. Would take ages to start and the tick over was erratic / mpg was awful. Full service didn't clear it all up so I gave it one last chance with the Archoil which stabilised everything nicely, something that the forecourt purchased cleaning products were obviously not strong enough to do.

I am sure a good quality high strength fuel cleaner in a tankful of fuel every so often will give the engine the best possible chance of self cleaning over 500 or so miles of driving. It certainly feels more responsive on acceleration to me and my regular passenger.

At the end of the day it's all a matter of perception because I cant see inside the injectors or nooks and crannies to see the difference and as already stated before on this thread it's "how your bum feels" when driving and mine is telling me that the car is running better, stronger and faster overall. Oh, and the overall MPG has increased on my regular 120 miles a day journey as well.

Mr Hatt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Rf065, I'm not blaming supermarket fuel for killing my car, that dubious honor goes to me and former keepers for not servicing strictly as per the Mercedes schedule I think. Not every stamp is present and some periods were extended to nearly double the recommendation. In the end the cat was blocked, the turbo wasn't spooling properly and oil was leaking everywhere from all sorts of orifices. Would take ages to start and the tick over was erratic / mpg was awful. Full service didn't clear it all up so I gave it one last chance with the Archoil which stabilised everything nicely, something that the forecourt purchased cleaning products were obviously not strong enough to do.

I am sure a good quality high strength fuel cleaner in a tankful of fuel every so often will give the engine the best possible chance of self cleaning over 500 or so miles of driving. It certainly feels more responsive on acceleration to me and my regular passenger.

At the end of the day it's all a matter of perception because I cant see inside the injectors or nooks and crannies to see the difference and as already stated before on this thread it's "how your bum feels" when driving and mine is telling me that the car is running better, stronger and faster overall. Oh, and the overall MPG has increased on my regular 120 miles a day journey as well.

I second that, its amazing how in tune with a car you can become over a period of time, noticing every change and feeling any difference from the last journey, I am sure its a "guy thing" though, my wife wouldn't know what gear she was in if it was not displayed on the dash, I trust my bum and she must agree because she told me I was anal regards Steve

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Did you actually look at the stats? I thought it showed the most expensive fuels resulted in significant gains in MPG ?? MEDIC! increase my dosage will you ?

Of course that's how I noticed Esso premium APPEARS to give the lowest MPG. :)

simonmac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 Sport/2012/3.0CDI
From mapping the odd Subaru and odd vw tdi, I found that shell vpower petrol was more consistent tank to tank, tesco 99 was good but slight less consistant in octane rating/calorific value from tank to tank.

Diesel I noticed tesco normal v shell vpower diesel, the shell gave a slightly better mpg across tank to tanks, also vw 1.9 tdi seemed to be slightly less smoky when mapped with an aggressive map, I also tried a 1/2 litre of two stroke oil in a tank which used to quieten things down and also improved smoke. Wouldn't suggest putting two stroke in a Merc though.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
I filled the E350 up with V-Power Niro+ the other day and the EML came on!!

Codes showed it was fuel related.

Googling gave loads of results of EML's after using it too.

I think using a garage that is used a lot is probably more important that who you use.

I always use Shell normally, but my best tank in the C320cdi so far has been Sainsburys.

Attachments

• IMG_2089.jpg
    IMG_2089.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
I did the 250ml of 2stroke to a full tank on the Focus. Dunno if it helped tbh but it made me feel better.

OP
P

PROJUMPER

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes
I was talking to a guy who races Tdi's and he recommended putting petrol in the diesel! (his words) "it keeps um lean and clean"

Dogfish

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL203 C220 CDI SE Sports Coupe. 2002.
OMG. Petrol will decrease the lubrication to the moving parts. Hope no one tries this!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Definitely do NOT do this on common rail engines as it will destroy high pressure pumps and injectors.

KeithJG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320CDI Sport Edition S203 2006 V6 7g
From mapping the odd Subaru and odd vw tdi, I found that shell vpower petrol was more consistent tank to tank, tesco 99 was good but slight less consistant in octane rating/calorific value from tank to tank.

Diesel I noticed tesco normal v shell vpower diesel, the shell gave a slightly better mpg across tank to tanks, also vw 1.9 tdi seemed to be slightly less smoky when mapped with an aggressive map, I also tried a 1/2 litre of two stroke oil in a tank which used to quieten things down and also improved smoke. Wouldn't suggest putting two stroke in a Merc though.

I have used Mobil 2T semi synth to the required ratio for over a year now, it doesn`t get thrashed but i use the power and with Shell Nitro and my remap it still performs economically and quietly like a dream.

In fact if i miss out a dose of 2T i do notice the difference.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You use semi? I had always understood that it absolutely had to be good old-fashioned mineral 2stroke.

KeithJG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320CDI Sport Edition S203 2006 V6 7g
You have the wrong information!

It has to comply with JASO FC or ISO...L-E GC...or EGD which semi-synth complies with.

Semi-synth oil contains certain percentage of mineral and synthetic oil.

Best not use Fully Synth because it does not mix as well with the diesel to form the required emulsion?....and it is too expensive.

Quote:

2-stroke oil and diesel
To all interested:
due to the pollution control measures of the EC diesel-oil is nearly sulphur free and contains up to 5% of bio-diesel. Sulphur has the property to grease the high pressure injection pump and the injectors. Without sulphur, the reduced greasing property of the new diesel has already shown negativ impacts on the long-term stability of the injectors and the high pressure pump. The pump manufacturers have tried to react by lining the moving parts of the pumps with teflon or other suitable material. However, the long term stability is still not achieved as with the old (sulphor contained) diesel.
The engine-research centre of a well known German car manufacurer has conducted some long term tests of diesel additives to find out whether any one of them will have an impact on the long term reliability of the diesel engine components. This introduction to explain were my information comes from.
The results of this research: any diesel additive of any manufacturer presently on the market is not worth the money!
BUT: 2-stroke oil, which we use in our motor saws, lawn mower or in 2-stroke motor engines has shown to have an extreme positive impact on diesel engines, if such 2-stroke oil is added to the diesel in a homoeophatic dosis of 1:200. In practical terms: 0,300 litre of 2-stroke oil into the 70l diesel tank. The 2-stroke oil will be absorbed by the diesel (emulsion) and grease every moving part of the high pressure pump and the injectors.
Besides this, the 2-stroke oil will keep the diesel engine clean, as it burnes cleaner as the diesel itself.
In other words, the 2-stroke oil has a much lower ash-content as diesel, when burned. This proven fact delays the DPF (diesel particulate (soot) filter) to clogg, and the "burn free" process of the DPF will be much less.
One more information: in Germany we have to present our cars every 2 years to the TUV -Technical Supervision Organisation - who will check, amongs others, the pollution of petrol and diesel engines.
The measured cloud-factor of a diesel engine without use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,95.
The same factor with the use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,47 - reduction of nearly half of the soot particles.
Besides this, the use of 2-stroke oil in the diesel will increase the mileage by 3-5%.

Last edited:

mej

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S124 1994 OM606, ditto OM605, ditto M111, W126, S211, W169
This is correct. I've been using 2 stroke in a OM646 common rail for just under 5 years (around 40,000 miles) and in a OM605 indirect injection for over 5 years (30,000 kms) and on the odd occasion I forget to take 2 stroke with me when I fill up the difference becomes noticeable within a few miles. Much smoother and quieter with it added and slightly better consumption.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Should I just drink the 2 Stroke and be done with it ?

Should I put olive oil in my engine ?

I tried 2 stroke in my car and thought is was quieter, worried that I had some sort of placebo-itis I stopped.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Keith where did you get the compliance data from?

The Comma mineral stuff I have is Service Classification API TC, JASO FB & ISO L-EGB

From the Interweb the consensus seems to be that FC has more strict controls than FB, but both are ok for DPFs as both have less ash content than diesel anyway.

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom