Diesel Starting Issue

270CDI

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 (51) C270 CDI
Hi all,

I've got a C270 CDi (51 plate) and am having major problems getting it started. It seems to be quite a common problem - i've been reading about it on the forum where it will start straight away and then die, and needs about 10 goes on the key to actually get it to start and run.

There's a few threads about the pipes that go into the engine and i'm looking at changing them this weekend, but i can't find anywhere what they are exactly called or even better some part numbers!

I'm down in Plymouth and if anyone can point me in the right direction to get hold of the parts (was thinking of German Swedish and French out at Plympton), i would appreciate it.

Also, any advice (particularly with regards to any special tools or things that can quite easily go wrong!!) would be great. I need the car back on the road Sunday evening so i really need to get this done.

Looking forward to hearing from someone who knows this job.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
The pipes can be bought from your local Mb dealer and they will just ask for your chassis or vin number.. ..recommend that you buy any pipe clips as well and replace those.. they are cheap and very necessary..

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
also make sure that any o rings/seals available (if not supplied with the pipes) are replaced too. i replaced them on my non cdi e300 turbodiesel (slightly different) and the pipes ranged between £7 and £11 each, including the o rings etc as required for my car

OP

270CDI

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 (51) C270 CDI
Thanks guys, i'll try and get them tomorrow. If they're cheap i'll go to MB direct rather than take the chance of patternised (sometimes rubbish quality) spares!!

michael14789

Reaction score
I've got the same problem with my C220 CDI 2002.
I've change all fuel pipes 10 months ago (as I read its common problem - too much air in pipes) and I was told to keep more than 1/4 tank of diesel (it will make some pressure)
Anyway after 5 months i started to struggling to start my car. I have to try like 3-5 times. But now I have to do it even 20 times.
I've fitted one way valve just before fuel filter but doesn't look like it's help at all.

HELP !!!!!!!

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
mike, you may have injector problems - do you see lots of air going round the clear pipes when it fails to start? if not, do a leak off test.

270cdi, you just need the o-rings, the pipes should be fine. o-rings part number is A601 997 06 45 from memory ;)

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Been there, got the t-shirt. all learnt all from this forum !
The pipes from m/b come to around £45.(4 off) (all have o-rings already on them) and takes a few hrs to fit them all.
I still had probs after that so had a leak off test done, found leaky injector, had it replaced (£200) and now cars starts perfectly every time, hot or cold.

OP

270CDI

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 (51) C270 CDI
OK guys, here's how it all stands - and it's either not good or i'm stupid!!
I went to MB and got the o-rings as quoted, opened it up this morning and (after a lot of fiddling about) got the pipe ends off. Much to my surprise there are no rings on them - or is it the case that they are fitted into the piece that goes into the housing?
The ones i got from MB are green, and on the pipe ends there is a black plastic "ring" that sits in a slot. Is this the part that i need to change (it seems to be a different shape to the new parts i got), and if so do i just cut it out and put the new one in?
Also, the pipes that go into the fuel filter and the fuel rail at the back of the engine did not want to come off - and rather than risk damaging the fragile plastic clips i thought i'd ask if i'm doing something wrong here?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
I,m a bit confused about what you are saying but maybe this may help.
the plastic pipes have clips that hold the pipes in.
Once unclipped they look like this pic. you can see the rubber o-ring on the end of the pipe. this is the item that would need changing.

Attachments

• o ring.JPG
    o ring.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 69
OP

270CDI

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 (51) C270 CDI
Rappey69 you're my hero!!!
I took mine off and they don't look like that one - the ring that's clearly visible on your picture is flat on mine, so it's quite possible they're ready for a change.
Thankyou for that, it's made things quite a bit clearer!!

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
there is a whole diy thread on how to change fuel lines with pics but none of the pics seem to be available, so i nipped out into the garden and took a pic of it for you.
the pipe in the pic is unused.

OP

270CDI

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 (51) C270 CDI
I had a look at that one and also found the pics unavailable. But now i've seen your pic - as you said of an unused one - it's cleared things up a bit for me. So hopefully next weekend i'll attack it again and get it sorted.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom