Digital TV

pk311ymb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL55 AMG
Hi all (especially Malcolm) - can I get an update on adding a digi box to get digital TV on my SL (which had analogue TV). All the posts are over 3 years old. Digi box used then is unavailable now. All the best, Peter

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello,,, you can get a box on Ebay for about £70 very neat and easier to install, and the details that I put up still apply.

If you need and papers or info on removing the rear trim panels I will explain to you:D

OP
P

pk311ymb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL55 AMG

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just a basic remote tuner,,, the so called twin are a waste of time and a sales gimmick

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
would any of them work in my E320 Cdi from 2004 ? (W211) it's got analogue tv in it now which doesn't do anything

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
would any of them work in my E320 Cdi from 2004 ? (W211) it's got analogue tv in it now which doesn't do anything

Yes it would work very well and the coverage in Sweden is so good,,I used mine more in Sweden than here.

Oarsman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S350L CDI Bluetec, Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDI, 1963 Triumph TR4
I used a Veba tuner, with twin dipole aerials, in my W220.
Superb picture quality.
Very little picture breakup because of the twin aerials, one at the front of the car and one at the rear.
Just checked on the web and they are advertised around £150.

OP
P

pk311ymb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL55 AMG
If the digi box has two aerials in, would you use two of the four MB aerials?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Digi boxes do not have 2 antenna inputs unless a true 2 tuner device, and that I have never seen yet, I got fooled as did Brabus230 in thinking 2 tuners therefore putting one EPG on one and another EPG on the other.

The EPG contains the group of stations from the transmission transponder in the area that you are in. You cannot have 2 EPGs anyway

OP
P

pk311ymb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL55 AMG
I am confused. I looked at the Veba unit (post above) and it has twin antennas and therefore two aerials in. So does one of the Eonon units. I would have thought that twin antennas did not necessarily imply twin tuners? Just an aerial e.g. at the front and back feeding a single tuner? I don't know how the standard MB aerials 'work'. I know there are 4 connections (thus 4 aerials?). Or is it one aerial feeding 4 different tuners for different markets? Other posts would imply this is the case. Help please!

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
My kenwood has two antenna to allow a better signal lock. As above no matter how many tuners you have. You can only have the one signal stored. as soon as you move to a new area you will have to retune. Being honest. The only times i have wanted to use it. I am in a weak signal area so no pic.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

OP
P

pk311ymb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL55 AMG
Having just been given this link

http://bayhas.com/mercedes/r230/contents/index.htm

I have used it to look at the antenna systems in the R230 SL class and that makes life even more difficult. It seems the four antennas are all used and Comand employs a 'diversity' system to switch antennas according to the best reception. These antennas serve both the TV and the FM radio.

Therefore, if you just use one of them into a digi box it would seem to me that you are severely limiting your reception? And at the same time degrading your FM reception having nicked one of the aerials?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Having just been given this link

http://bayhas.com/mercedes/r230/contents/index.htm

I have used it to look at the antenna systems in the R230 SL class and that makes life even more difficult. It seems the four antennas are all used and Comand employs a 'diversity' system to switch antennas according to the best reception. These antennas serve both the TV and the FM radio.

Therefore, if you just use one of them into a digi box it would seem to me that you are severely limiting your reception? And at the same time degrading your FM reception having nicked one of the aerials?

All you need do is to clip the first one of the 4 and use that,,,it works very well

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom