Dilema, dilema...

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
So, I've been running my ex-Japan, 1999 W202 C200 estate for almost six years now, and although it's been a great motor, I have become a little bit bored with it. You could hardly call it worn out - just 68,000 miles and not a speck of rust on it anywhere, just had a new genuine water pump as the original had become a little squeaky. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, I just fancy a change.
My mate and neighbour - used car business owner - has a pile of W204 estates coming in, amongst them, my pick, C220 cdi, auto in various colours.
Should I ditch the old girl in favour of the new car in a fancy frock, or stay with the old classic for a further 100k or more??

Here she is, bless her!

1b1824de6e81db50f1a5c7e23f48ebb8.jpg

Heeeeelp!

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Keep the 202 for a while longer :D

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Better the devil you know ...

But if you just fancy a change, logical argument carries no weight.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Depends if you want to continue to do your own servicing / get the local garage to do it? Buy a W204 and it will in all probability cost you more to run/service. You will need expensive engine oil for the DPF for starters and hook it up to STAR to diagnose faults. The W204 will be a safer car but won't begin match the magic carpet ride of the earlier car. The petrol M111 engines are good for 200,000 + miles. If you are feeling adventurous convert it to gas. If the body is sound and rust free keep it would be my advice. Best thing take a W204 for a LONG test drive- don't be wooed by the gobs of torque which it will have- You will soon weary of the diesel rattle and the jiggly suspension is my prediction.;)

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Keep it! Nice colour, great wheels, low mileage, no tin-worm; what's not to like? :D

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I have to agree. i really loved my 202's and prior to inheriting the 203, I was looking at 202's to replace my focus!

with that mileage, it seems you do very few miles, which would be a killer for a DPF equipped diesel. petrol engines are also probably more economical at that level of mileage too.

If it were me in your position, id get the 202 thoroughly rust treated (Waxoyl etc) to keep it looking like new, and keep it, especially if its reliable. If youre bored of it, a few tasteful mods should refresh it for you! for example, you have AMG wheels, so why not treat it to the AMG (or replica) bodykit, or leather interior, if it doesnt already have it, etc. MUCH cheaper than a new (to you) car!

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Wow.

If the interior matches the exterior, as pictured - keep it. Forever.

Of course, you have the benefit of it's prior mollycoddled life in Japan where they don't put salt on the roads and owners must have a garage or parking space by law but if you talked to a salesman he would whistle (the classic pursed lips process!) that it's a grey import and worth less... grrr....

Changing to a modern model will cost you at least a couple of big ones. So whatever you would realistically sell it for add £2K to it and that's what it's really worth to you.
- Even at today's lousy rates you would earn £40 a year out of £2K and still have the money in the bank and a own superb car at the end of the year!

Err, what was the question?

Last edited:

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I have to agree. i really loved my 202's and prior to inheriting the 203, I was looking at 202's to replace my focus!

with that mileage, it seems you do very few miles, which would be a killer for a DPF equipped diesel. petrol engines are also probably more economical at that level of mileage too.

If it were me in your position, id get the 202 thoroughly rust treated (Waxoyl etc) to keep it looking like new, and keep it, especially if its reliable. If youre bored of it, a few tasteful mods should refresh it for you! for example, you have AMG wheels, so why not treat it to the AMG (or replica) bodykit, or leather interior, if it doesnt already have it, etc. MUCH cheaper than a new (to you) car!
Good post and one the OP should heed. If it hasn't got leather then for a sensible amount one can be bought from FleaBay, get a performance chip, wooden steering wheel too.............Yummy!

obduro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
When the "I fancy a change" bug comes calling, it's very, very hard to shake off...

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
When the "I fancy a change" bug comes calling, it's very, very hard to shake off...

Indeed! And as posted above "But if you just fancy a change, logical argument carries no weight. " !

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
How much are you looking for the 202?

OP
Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Ha ha! Vultures start circling!!

Passed the mot today, no advisories.

Just gassed up the ac and put a new steering damper on - drives like new again!

Most people seem to be saying keep it. I'll sleep on it tonight.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Seems a shame to spend a lot of money to get a new car when you have a servicable on there...

But the 204 is a great car, wonderful to drive and if you get an NON BE C220cdi it will be reliable and go on and on. I really rate the 204 and the ride won't be as good, but its safer, faster, more efficient, more refined, better handling etc and looks good as well

Photobomb alert

DSC_0174 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
What some may not know here is that Uncle has a garage and services/ repairs lots of mercedes, look at the cars in his signature :D

Triv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A brace of s210 1998 e300 turborustbuckets. Toyota HiLux Surf kzn185 3.0L
Keep it.

You've said it's rust free.
That makes it the rarest Mercedes on earth!

It's a 1999 c200 estate. It's worth a lot more to you than the £600 you'll be offered, no matter how shiny it is.

It's a lovely looking car and you like it. Keep it.

Alternatively, you can have my shed for £1500 :lol:

OP
Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Indeed I did!

I have calmed down, and listened to the overwhelming majority and decided to keep the old bus for now.

Needless expense and all that... Christ, I must be getting old!!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom