Direction indicators have suddenly malfunctioned, hazards working fine.

Jon Bernard

Reaction score
1999 C230K Sport

Hi, my direction indicators have suddenly malfunctioned, hazards working fine. but direction indicators are dead.:(

When the indicators stopped working at first if I put the right indicator on then the nearside would flash then they stop working altogether.

fuses ok, relays which one to check,

Thank you for your help.

Jon

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The flasher is in the passenger footwell fuse box, this could also be the switch

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
The flasher relay is part of the combination relay unit in the fuse box, fuse box located under the bonnet drivers side.
As the hazards are working correctly the relay won't be your problem. I would be initially looking at the indicator stalk switch replacement, apparently they can be cleaned though the success of this is a bit hit or miss.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was looking for a picture of the multifunction relay but somehow I looked up 202.024 and the flasher is in the cab, really odd as the cars are basically the same.
Re the stalk if it gave an an opposite flash its almost as though a piece of metal has broken off the switch.

OP
J

Jon Bernard

Reaction score
I've got the steering wheel off, but?

Hi Television, I've got the steering wheel off, but access to remove the combination stalk is completely covered by round plastic disk (ESP?) I can't see how to remove it. :-(

I Will be buying a new combination stalk assembly for my 1999 c230k

Thanks for your knowledge.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Would you like the info on how to remove it

OP
J

Jon Bernard

Reaction score
Yes please, that would help me get her back on the road. any pictures would help.

Thanks for your help/knowledge

Jon

OP
J

Jon Bernard

Reaction score
I have fitted another combination stalk assembly, but the indicators still don't work

Television thought "Re the stalk if it gave an opposite flash its almost as though a piece of metal has broken off the switch. So I have fitted another combination stalk assembly, but the indicators still don't work.

I also swopped the relay in the passenger foot-well.

any other ideas?:confused:

thank you

Jon

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220
Not sure about C class, but had a similar problem on my 129. It turned out to be the ignition switch, which is a known problem on them. I also got occasional power cuts, wipers on and radio went off. I am sure some one will know if this could be the problem.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
If this is the last W202 with EIS (electronic ignition switch), the combination switch is wired into the ignition switch, with just the one wire, giving a 'voltage coded' output. If we had a voltage supply or continuity problem somewhere between fuse no.22 in the front fuse box and the EIS that would account for the N/S flashing when the stalk was turned to the right.

To test, check the black wire to pin6 in plug B at the EIS - should be battery voltage turning one way, and probably half that for the other way.

If the values are correct, suspect an EIS fault (we have seen similar with non functional horn being due to an EIS fault).

If voltage is too low, suspect a wiring or power supply fault between the fuse and EIS.

The EIS sends the flasher signal to the front SAM via the CAN bus btw.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not sure about C class, but had a similar problem on my 129. It turned out to be the ignition switch, which is a known problem on them. I also got occasional power cuts, wipers on and radio went off. I am sure some one will know if this could be the problem.

The ignition switch fault on the 129 only happened on the later cars where some wiring was taken through the ignition switch rather than the fuse box as the multifunction relay could melt the socket, and a new type N10 fitted at the same time.

OP
J

Jon Bernard

Reaction score
Alex, the indicator only flashed once to the left when turning stalk to the direction of the right hand indicator, then no indicators working at all.

this is getting complicated:shock:

Is there a wiring diagram available? Showing the areas to check.:shock:

Thank you for your help

Jon :confused:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
there are only 2x wires..
One wire, pink/black, from fuse no.22 to switch, via connector block (pin4) above panel below instruments.
One wire, black, from switch to pin6 plugB at EIS via same connector block (pin6).

Very very simple wiring, but complex function - basically the switch has a resistor inside it for left flashing, closed circuit for right, and open for no flash.
The resistor will mean the switch gives a different voltage output for left (lower voltage) than for right.

Check the output voltage on the black wire with everything connected and ignition on, should be battery voltage for right turn, as I said above.

We know everything after the EIS is OK, as the hazards work.

If you get battery voltage on that black wore, could be an EIS fault.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jon Bernard

Reaction score
Hi all,

Black wire: Right 12.29v Left 7.66v.

what to do now :confused:

Thanks for all the info:)

Jon

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Assuming this was with everything plugged in, ignition on and engine off (it seems so, otherwise you would not have got the 7.66v), it is looking more like an EIS fault.
We have seen the EIS with water damage, where the pins were heavily corroded, causing problems - so it is worth checking those connections.

OP
J

Jon Bernard

Reaction score
Dose that mean checking the EIS connector boxes on back of switch or under fuse box under bonnet for corrosion, can I use contact cleaner?

thanks

Jon

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I mean the plugs that plug into the EIS itself, I have seen windscreen leaks on the W202 letting water run down cables into the EIS.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
May I add here that there are modified lids now for the box with 2 lids to keep the water out.

OP
J

Jon Bernard

Reaction score
No corrosion found on any of the pins or connectors on the EIS. have had fuse box off to check for corrosion, none found on the pins or connectors.

Even managed get hold of a 2nd combination switch in case the first replacement was faulty.

Still no indicators :confused::confused::confused:

thanks for your help

Jon

OP
J

Jon Bernard

Reaction score
should I take the EIS apart? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Jon

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom