DISC BRAKE DUST / SLASH SHIELDS CORROSION.

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
Hello Everyone, I have a Mk4 Toyota Supra, i bought it new in 1995, it is immaculate, a manual box and LSD, i spent £6K on the engine last year and enjoy 452 BHP at the rear wheels, anyway i recently had a tinny rattling noise comming from the front NS wheel arch, on closer inspection i could see the disc brake dust/splash shield was hanging on by a thread. The car has been "waxoyled" every three years and i have no rust, however the "waxoyl" could not be applied to the shields due to the close proximity of the disc brakes. Now here is some info you may not have, as like me, you have not experienced this kind of problem, so if your shields are badly corroded or they have fallen off, then it is an MOT failure if any cable or other components like pistons etc are attached to the shield.
Even if you do not have the MOT problem then i feel you would need to replace the item as it does deflect dust and water and cooling air.
The cost and availability of these shields is a problem as well as the difficulty in fitting them, on my Supra the rear hub and bearings have to be removed etc, the front NS shield has cost me £85 and the labour will be circa £75 all + vat.
The OEM's do not galvanize the shields as they are designed to last 7 to 10 years as most cars are scrapped by then, Mercedes suprise me as they know their cars are renowned for longevity and people hanging on to them for many years. My cars are 22 years old.
This is why my Merc is having all the shields treated, it will only cost £100 and i can then rest assured that i have not let them rot away followed by a big cost. Herbie.

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"98 S202 C250TD Manual hybrid
prior to my 202 C Class MOT last week,@ 249,000 miles I had to replace the nearside rear shield, it literally dissolved to mush on removal .offside front wishbone wasnt in much better shape either. My 98 Hilux front shields are about shot after 260,000. maybe change them next year . not cheap for a bit of tin though!

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Your new shields - are you going to Hammerite them before fitting? That should add to their lifespan. Touch in chips every spring.

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
How would an mot tester know if they had been properly removed? They aren’t a legal requirement as some cars don’t have them at all, my Lotus Elise doesn’t for example

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom