Disc Replacement - front E500 2003

pmay805

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 2003 / Acura RL 2003
I took my tires off and had a look. I know about SBC and disabling it. I'm curious if there is any documentation on removing the rotors? It appears they are the type with the large nut in the center that you have to remove to get off. Is this correct? I'm assuming that the calipers will come off by removing the 2 large bolts from the rear?

Any help appreciated.

LYNALL

Reaction score
If its anything like mine caliper off, caliper carrier off, undo little screw (item 160) holding the rotor to the hub, then the rotor will either fall off or require a few whacks with a hammer, no need to undo anything else.

Lynall

Attachments

• B42030000085_1114.jpg
    B42030000085_1114.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As Lynall above,,,have something the right height to rest the caliper on once off as it must not hang on the hose. The disc can be very tight on the hub through rust and a 2lb to 4lb hammer is needed,one good blow, just lightly clean the hub flange up from rust where the disc sits.

Do remove the protective coating from the disc before you put it on

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
Avoid hammering the disc if at all possible, you run the risk of damaging the wheel bearings.

If the replacement discs are MB ones, there's no need to remove the protective coating.

LYNALL

Reaction score
It might mot be correct to hammer the disc as said but you can bet your bottom dollar this is how they are all removed.

Lynall

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
Yes, there aren't many workshops who will be too worried about having to fit some new wheel bearings a few months after the discs had been done - got to keep cars on the ramps!

Or, phrased another way, common workshop practice is not necessarily best practice.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
While I can under stand how you can damage a bearing, I have never had one fail the hammering off the disc. to help when doing this I always lower the hub onto an axle stand and this take all of the bounce and lessens any damage to the bearing

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>I have never had one fail the hammering off the disc.

It has happened to me once to my definite knowledge, which is why I mention it.

It was SWMBO's last Astra, one of the discs was particularly stubborn, and I was particularly violent with it. The drone from the bearing was clear enough to make me rue my hammer happy behaviour!, and the Brinelling I found when I took the bearing apart was obvious.

I say to my knowledge, because with customers' cars, you never know. They may come back to you to be rectified, they may go elsewhere, the car may end up being worked on by the mechanic next to you, and unless the car's a bit special, you won't remember it.

OP
P

pmay805

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If its anything like mine caliper off, caliper carrier off, undo little screw (item 160) holding the rotor to the hub, then the rotor will either fall off or require a few whacks with a hammer, no need to undo anything else.

Lynall
Regarding the caliper removal, do you have to remove the 4 or so bolts on the front and actually separate the calipers?

LYNALL

Reaction score
If you mean split the calipers dont do it? look at the back of the caliper where it meets the backplate assy and there should be 2 bolt these are what you remove.

Dont want to be rude but maybe worth getting the bits then paying someone who knows what they are doing to replace them.

Lynall

OP
P

pmay805

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Lynall. I have been replacing rotors and brake pads for years on my Acuras, etc. I'm pretty sure I can do it, just saw some comments on the forums that I did not understand. I've now ordered the parts but will wait until I feel the current pads are worn down before I do them. I also had a 1976 450 SEL a few years ago and did a lot of my own maintenance for 4 years which included the brakes. I realize the E500 is more complicated due to the SBC, but once disabled, no worries.

OP
P

pmay805

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BTW, does anyone know where I can find a good manual for working on this E500? They always come in handy if you run into a snag.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
There is no workshop manual avaialable.

You may manage to find a "hookey" copy of MB WIS on fleabay, but they can be a bit hit and miss on whether they work or not.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BTW, does anyone know where I can find a good manual for working on this E500? They always come in handy if you run into a snag.

When the times comes to replace your pads I can send you the correct information

OP
P

pmay805

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When the times comes to replace your pads I can send you the correct information

Thanks Malcolm, I received my Zimmermann rotors and EBC green pads today at your recommendation. Unfortunately, and even though I spoke directly with a sales person and asked the specific question, the sensors that arrived will not fit the pads. So I am on the phone now to find out what they are going to do for me. It's funny, you ask specifically "will these sensors fit the pads as I've heard some folks say it has been a problem" and the guy says yes. Obviously, he did not really check the parts.

OP
P

pmay805

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Malcolm, I received my Zimmermann rotors and EBC green pads today at your recommendation. Unfortunately, and even though I spoke directly with a sales person and asked the specific question, the sensors that arrived will not fit the pads. So I am on the phone now to find out what they are going to do for me. It's funny, you ask specifically "will these sensors fit the pads as I've heard some folks say it has been a problem" and the guy says yes. Obviously, he did not really check the parts.

BTW Malcolm, I just spent an hour on the phone with USAutoparts who sold me the pads and sensors. It seems they don't have a sensor to fit this pad. They went on EBC's site and claimed they had no sensors. You do have sensors on your pads in the UK, right? The hole on the EBC green pad for the sensor is right against the backplate and is too small for the OEM sensor to fit into. This must be a somewhat thinner pad than the OEM pad as the prong going down in the pad on the original sensor is 3/16 to 1/4" away from the backplate.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When I fitted my green pads to my 230 I had no problem in re fitting the original sensor, as they were not damaged. even on the earlier 129 that use different sensors I had no problem.

The hole could be drilled out with ease to the correct size.

This is a bit of a mystery

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>This is a bit of a mystery

Not really - it's absolutely typical of the nonsense you face when you start messing about with spurious aftermarket parts.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
>>This is a bit of a mystery

Not really - it's absolutely typical of the nonsense you face when you start messing about with spurious aftermarket parts.

Messing about ??? take a look on the USA forums where most use the EBC pads. I would never go back to the metal particle chip pads.

TWR that supplies 30% of the pad market have announced this month that their pads are now "green" as heavy metal is no longer used in the manufacturing of their pads.

Have they got it wrong too

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>Messing about ???

Well, yes! Having to drill holes in the pad's backplate to fit the sensor isn't exactly a no hassle brake pad fitting task is it?

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom