discharging battery on c320?

C320andy

Reaction score
When i bought my car the previous owner said that the only problem he had with the car was the battery going flat and as a result he took it to an auto electrician. The spark ran a diognostics report and the problem seemed to be coming from the cd/nav system. To fix this he ran a relay to prevent it staying on when the engine was not running. This works fine except the stereo now has no memory thus meaning the cd, levels, radio etc etc all need setting everytime i get in to the car

The guy I bought the car off never used it much and it sat on his drive for most of its time, so I thought me being me and driving it most days that I would restore the wiring back to the way it was and hopefully it wouldn't run the battery flat. This didn't happen quite the way as I predicted though as the next day.....dead battery.

Is this a common fault with the earlier c class (2000 models) to have or is it just something mine is suffering from.

Any advice welcome !

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Do you have comand or the APS radio

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
C

C320andy

Reaction score
So...does this mean im stuffed :(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So...does this mean im stuffed :(

Not at all,,for I have the same problem, but I modified my car with a timer that shuts it down within ½ hour of turning the car off. The chances are that if you plug into STAR it will say "cannot communicate with comand"

Some early comands 2 units do have the fault where they will not shut down, if this is the fault then STAR will tell you, if it cannot talk to the comand then it should be either a can plug is not in,,or the central gateway is not receiving any info

OP
C

C320andy

Reaction score
ok, but with your timer turning everything off after 30mins will will wipe the memory to your stereo meaning that you have to select your cd again and retune the radio? if not how did you do it bud and were does one aquire a 12volt timer from?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I put the timer in the main fuse for the comand. The radio stations and phone all store perfectly, the CD will not store and never did as far as I can recall,,it does for stops made within the timer adjustment,,I could increase that if i wanted to for up to 1 hour.

CPC sell the timers,,but not that easy to install as it needs to come on with the ignition, and stay on when turned off

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom