Discount on new Merc

oceanblue1

Reaction score
MB dealers seems to have a reputation of being a bit snobby and I get the impression if I ask them for a discount, they will just laugh and tell me to buy a cheaper car if I can't afford it :(

How many people have managed to get a discount from the dealers whether new or approved used?

Can you give some advice as what to say and do?

How big a discount can I expect in the current climate?

Splatt

Reaction score
MB dealers seems to have a reputation of being a bit snobby and I get the impression if I ask them for a discount, they will just laugh and tell me to buy a cheaper car if I can't afford it :(

How many people have managed to get a discount from the dealers whether new or approved used?

7.5% is the best offer I could get out of local Merc dealers. First BMW dealer I tried got 20% off without resorting to violence or theatrical histrionics. And a more appropriate offer for the trade in. But they have to see that you are really hot-to-trot and a really good offer will bring them the sale, if they think you are just trawling the market they will hold back.
Don`t be concerned about asking for discounts, just adopt an air of superiority and ask as if you expect one, most of their monied customers buying new S classes will ask for and get one. They did not get where they are by paying more than they had to for anything . If a salespleb starts getting above his station ask him if he can direct you to the nearest BMW or Lexus retailer.

PS: Remember all new cars go up 2.5% in price on January 1

Last edited:

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
It's hard to know how to play this for the best but one thing I would suggest is not to make "discount" your major focus or the dealer will rapidly lose interest.

I got my car at 5mths old from MB Direct Birmingham where it was up for £26,995. They knocked £2K off to get me to pay a deposit over the phone to view it, and I got another £1.5K off when I went to see it. Even then they threw in the phone cradle, which isn't cheap so I wonder if they might have gone even further. It is metallic red, when 99% of the cars there were black or silver so maybe they wanted to get rid of it! I did have, in my hand, printouts of similar cars from other MB dealers so, in the salesman's mind he will have thought that if I walked out the deal was gone.

Perhaps an approach with a new one might be to find out what's available from either dealer or MB UK stock - salesmen like a quick deal, we just did a reasonable deal on a new Honda Jazz for Mrs R as the car could be registered this month - and then to ask them to help to afford that car. If the car is going to be factory ordered then discounts will be more limited.

merc7

Reaction score
I was offered nearly 10% off brand new c180k sport(w204),excellent trade-in also,but decided to go for the agility offer was even better IMHO:D

Retired

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GL 420CDI
If you want to know the sort of discount you should expect ( varies from model to model) visit sites such as http://www.drivethedeal.com/ or http://www.autoebid.com/.

This will give you a target figure.

Look at 'offers' on the MB site. There are some quite large ' dealer contributions' linked to finance packages available on some models.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)

Not strictly an answer to your question, but there are 2 types of deal will get you a substantial reduction compared with list price.

Pre-registered cars (where you can find them) will have no miles on them, so they are unused. The price may be as much as 25% less than list.

"Run out models", where a new model is announced and beginning to arrive in the showrooms - currently this should be true of the E Class W 211.

Specific deals can also be found - for example Chrysler are having a big clean-out with heroic discounts for cars sold by the 30th September. Many have significant MB content. The Crossfire and the Jeep Patriot are worth a look - especially if you could push a bit of scrappage at them at the same time.

Demonstrators continue to do well - E Class W 211 saloons and estates with 09 registrations and 2-7,000 miles on them are selling at 10,000 below list.

Happy hunting. It will be good to hear what you buy, and the deal you drive.

J400uk

Reaction score
Have a look online and see what sort of prices you can find, and then see if you can find a dealer who will price match. It is true though that Mercedes won't discount as heavily as say Ford.

benz1

Reaction score
You shouldn't feel ashamed or embarassed to ask for a discount. It's your money afterall. The salesmen probably can't afford the cars at book price either. Some cars they are less willing to discount than others, but do call around as many dealers as you can.

Last edited:

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
There are various 'registration bonuses' at the mo. I got 1500 contribution towards a Viano right away.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I paid the asking price for my Landrover but thats because as an ex demo its price was a bargain in the first place. So much so that calling round other dealerships, trying to get a better deal, all the salesmen I spoke to couldn't get close and told me I should buy it. But that was a rare case.

£1k off a used merc I always considered to be the opening point for going into the showroom. From there you negotiate. I asked one dealer how much room they had to move on one car I was interested in. They said there was none so I didn't go in.
As has been said, most merc owners are business people who instinctively like a bargain. They aren't going to feel happy with a deal if they paid the asking price.
Not sure on new but given the market, and the calls I've had asking me to change, I'd expect a good deal. As always, shop around and speak to as many dealers as possible. If they don't negotiate, then go elsewhere.

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
They can only give it once ..... so if your after cheap rate finance, and free auto boxes ....and other goodies....... you need to factor those into the mix !!

Let us know what model your looking at.........maybe we could be more specific then (collectively)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I would look around and be prepared to travel, whilst the climate has changed I bought my E at 3 months old for £16.5K less than list and £5.5K less than they had it listed at.

nicko44

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 C200 Sport Estate
Discounts seem fairly widespread at the moment, several main dealers here on the south coast are offering good deals, usually calling them 'directors specials' or somesuch. Online broker drivethedeal.co.uk offering 15% on new C class and around 22% on E class (new model due mid next year) all for cars supplied by main dealers. Carwow.co.uk even better.

These new car discounts make the 'approved used' main dealer prices for one year old cars look ridiculous, cheaper to buy new and get the colour and options that you want.

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
Holy thread resereation Batman. ;)

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
LOL

But is this thread still relevant in todays market ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
LOL

But is this thread still relevant in todays market ?

Hard question as there are sites that still sell new cars at a good discount, someone posted only this week, but the post was removed as a trade seller.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom