Diving abroad: dipped-beam headlamps

tony jr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GL320 X164 2007
Hi,

I am planning to drive my ml270cdi (registered Sept 2003) in France in a few weeks time and want to know what I need to do to my dipped-beam headlamps to make them legal in France. In the past with other cars I have always used those stick on headlamp converters. These worked well on cars with glass headlamps where it was easy to position and remove. However, on cars with plastic headlamps they are difficult to position and almost impossible to remove from the car when back in the UK. I read the following section in my user manual that implies that on my car you can some how adjust the dipped-beam headlamps:

“In countries where vehicles are driven on the opposite side of the road than in the country in which the vehicle is registered, you must change the position of the headlamps to symmetrical dipped-beam. On-coming traffic will then be dazzled less. Detailed information about this is available from any Mercedes-Benz service Centre.

Remember to convert the headlamps back to asymmetrical dipped beam headlamps if you then return to driving on the same side of the road as that of the country in which the vehicle was registered.”

However, I have just been to see the service manger at my local dealership and he did not know what I needed to do and just suggested buying some headlamp converters!

Can anyone help?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi Tony do you have Xenon lamps

OP
T

tony jr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GL320 X164 2007
Hi Malcolm,

No I just have standard halogen lights

Tony

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
I have done this lots and lots of times. Beam benders are fine. If they are uber-sticky and difficult to remove, pour some hot water over them and they come off easily.

Have a safe drive - you'll enjoy it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry then these cannot be switched,, some one posted the details of a stick on brand that did not effect the plastic on the lamps,,I am sure that a search would bring this old thread up

OP
T

tony jr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GL320 X164 2007
Someone suggested getting replacment bulbs from france and fitting them in the existing fittings - these should be ok in the UK and Europe - any thoughts?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is not the bulbs, it is the reflector and the glass the differentiates them

OP
T

tony jr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GL320 X164 2007
No lights are plastic with halogen bulbs (also had halogen bulbs in my old w210 with plastic lights) - did the headlamps change with the w163 facelift?

OP
T

tony jr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GL320 X164 2007
It sounds like it's back to the old beam benders then

thanks everyone

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No lights are plastic with halogen bulbs (also had halogen bulbs in my old w210 with plastic lights) - did the headlamps change with the w163 facelift?

Thats possible,,I have no way of checking that

Chas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320
Hi,

I am planning to drive my ml270cdi (registered Sept 2003) in France in a few weeks time and want to know what I need to do to my dipped-beam headlamps to make them legal in France. In the past with other cars I have always used those stick on headlamp converters. These worked well on cars with glass headlamps where it was easy to position and remove. However, on cars with plastic headlamps they are difficult to position and almost impossible to remove from the car when back in the UK. I read the following section in my user manual that implies that on my car you can some how adjust the dipped-beam headlamps:

“In countries where vehicles are driven on the opposite side of the road than in the country in which the vehicle is registered, you must change the position of the headlamps to symmetrical dipped-beam. On-coming traffic will then be dazzled less. Detailed information about this is available from any Mercedes-Benz service Centre.

Remember to convert the headlamps back to asymmetrical dipped beam headlamps if you then return to driving on the same side of the road as that of the country in which the vehicle was registered.”

However, I have just been to see the service manger at my local dealership and he did not know what I needed to do and just suggested buying some headlamp converters!

Can anyone help?

If your halogen lamps have projector lenses then they should have a little metal lever to adjust the beam for European mainland. Take the dipped beam cover off and look inside with a torch. If there is a lever push it in the opposite direction. Some cut off levers will either give a horizontal beam pattern or a beam pattern which kicks up 15 degrees to the right(opposite of UK RH drive)

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
why is it that we are forced to adapt our cars to go over there, but they dont bother changing theirs when they come here? we see many migrant workers bringing their cars from the continent, standard LHD headlights, no adapting, never registered in the uk, also many foreign trucks and again, no changes made for driving on the left instead of the right! so why do we bother? or is it another case of the uk being soft on non citizens?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
why is it that we are forced to adapt our cars to go over there, but they dont bother changing theirs when they come here? we see many migrant workers bringing their cars from the continent, standard LHD headlights, no adapting, never registered in the uk, also many foreign trucks and again, no changes made for driving on the left instead of the right! so why do we bother? or is it another case of the uk being soft on non citizens?

We are too soft Pete

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
I am also off to France shortly ..again ....... Halfords deflectors will do the job ...... Hair dryer/hot water ......or, peanut butter smothered on and left overnight to remove ......... honest !!

OP
T

tony jr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GL320 X164 2007
Think I might have to stock up on peanut butter!

Top Bottom