DIY 230 losing all the ABC fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
My car for the 3rd time lost all of the ABC fluid. As this is now a common problem now, and easy fix I thought that a DIY would help some others.

First you need to get all 4 wheels off the ground and the car on axle stands, the wheels can stay on apart from the front nearside, the idea for this is to stop losing all of the fluid in the system as the wheels are now hanging. In this particular case we are working on the return line, so no major issues or pressures.

When you remove the wheel arch liner you find this mess and this must all be washed down with an degreasing spray and hosed off, so thaty you can see where the leak is.

DSC00612.jpg

Most leaks come from the valve block situated in the front section of the near side front wheel. The problem is that aluminium washers are used under brass pipe fittings, the metals react when wet and the aluminium corrodes away causing the washer to leak.

Most of these faults are within the fluid return pipes, this it the upper block of the 2 within the wing.

There is the sensor in the center of the front face and the valve on the side of the block that can leak, this time on mine it was the valve on the side, and you can see the hole with the valve removed, I would now strongly recommend that while you are at it replace both of the washers, the one on the sensor and the one on the valve.
DSC00614.jpg

This is the valve and washer
DSC00613.jpg

Refill the tank, the one nearest the front (the round tank is the power steering) start the engine and check for leaks,if OK re fit the liner and put the wheel on. Next start the car again and press the raise button so that both LED's are on, and lower again so that they are both off. Remove the axle stands and jacks and start the engine again and re fill the tank so that the level is up to the middle mark on the dip stick.

I used copper washers, though they are thicker it does not matter.

Tools required are a 10mm socket for all of the wheel arch liner.
10 mm open ended or ring spanner for the valve block.
19mm or 3/4 AF open ended spanner.
1 liter of MB ABC fluid circa £13

Total time (I amused to doing this) 1½ hours.

With the 230 always carry a spare liter of fluid with you at all time, and you will always get home should a leak happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom