DIY: How to change ABC Accumulators on 215

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I replaced these on my 90,000 mile CL55 AMG for 2 reasons. 1, my ride quality was suffering over jarring road irregularites (pot holes, cracks in the road etc. 2, at 12 years old, if any where original, they where probably sub-par by now.

You will need:
  • Part number*A220 327 01 15 *x 2 - Front and rear accumulators
  • Part number*A220 320 04 14 x 1 - Return line accumulator
  • 2 x Axle stands
  • 10 mm Spanner
  • 10mm Socket
  • 17mm Spanner
  • Pliers etc for exhaust rubbers.
  • Lint free rags, brake cleaners
  • 1 Litre of Pentosin CHF11S
The ABC Pulsation damper had already been replaced recently and wont be covered in this guide, however, its functionaliy identical to the accumulators, instead of damping oil movments caused by struts, it dampens oil movements caused by the radial piston pump.

Step 1:

Rear first, jack the rear of the car up and put it on axle stands. Remove the 2 rearmost exhaust mounting ( I just removed the bolts) and the middle mounts. This gives enough movement in the exhaust. WIS says to remove the rear section and the heatsheild but theres plenty of room without.

Step 2:

WIS states at this point to bleed the system using the bleed nipples. I have read that these like to shear off and that in reality, if the engine has been off for 30 minutes then the pressure in the system is negligible. The rear ABC Accumulator is located on the Offside rear just behind the rear backbox. If you look up you can just about see it hiding:

It is held in with 2 nuts on one side and 1 nut on the other. (sorry for the rubbish pictures, space is tight)

Step 3:

Thoroughly clean the surfaces around the oil feed lines and the hose itself, if there are any bits of rust/grit etc above or around it get them cleaned too. You dont want any bits getting into the system.

Step 4:

Undo the nut holding the oil line on (17mm spanner). I had enough room with a normal long spanner, a short 17mm would have made it easier. You will loose around 100ml of oil when you undo it so keep a rag handy. Try to keep the system open for as little time as possible.

Undo the mounting nuts and pull the exhaust down. This should give you enough space to manouvre the accumulator out.

Step 5:

Insert the new accumulator and bolt it up. Its very much the reverse of the installation.

Now the rear is done.

Now onto the return accumulator.

The new part looks like this:*

Step 6:

Onto the return accumulator. This unit is held in with a 10mm nut on one side and a 10mm bolt on the other. It has 2 oil feed connections, one is a rigid connection and one is on a flexible line.

Undo the under panneling that covers the fuel pump/filter and return accumulator:

You will be presented with this:

I decided to remove the right hand nut and slightly undo the left hand bolt that holds the accumulator to its bracket. I then undid the oil line connections. I placed the flexible connection into a clean emtpy latex glove to prevent dirt getting into it:

Re-installation is again the reverse of removal.

*Step 7:

Let the rear of the car down, loosen nearside front wheel bolts and jack the front of the car up. Put it on axle stands. Ensure the car is secure.

Remove the wheel:

(hmmm shiny brakes).

Step 8:

Remove the wheel arch liner. There are a multitude of plastic 10mm nuts holding this on. Dont forget the 2 8mm undertray bolts at the bottom.

Step 9:

You will be presented with:

Its much the same of the rear one, but access is much easier.

Undo the lower mounting bolts and upper mounting bolts:

Disconnect the lower oil fitting as before, you will loose very little fluid.

Insert the new sphere, bolt it up, put the wheel liner back on, wheel back on and let the car of its stands.

Step 10:

Thoroughly*clean the top of the ABC*reservoir and dipstick area with a lint free cloth. Start the engine and remove and clean the dipstick. Top up the fluid with Pentosin CHF11S so that its in the middle of the top marking on the dipstick.

Done!

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom