Do you need any special tools to remove W211 Ball Joints?

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Hi, I have a 2005 E200 Estate and an advisory on my MoT says:- Off side front Ball Joint Slight Play (rear lower arm ball joint movement). Do I need any special tools, apart from joint separator?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hi, I have a 2005 E200 Estate and an advisory on my MoT says:- Off side front Ball Joint Slight Play (rear lower arm ball joint movement). Do I need any special tools, apart from joint separator?
A breaker bar , and a torque wrench and you should be good to go (for whatever is at the other end of the ball joint )

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
A breaker bar , and a torque wrench and you should be good to go (for whatever is at the other end of the ball joint )

and to actually remove the joint from car?

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Joint separator which you already have

Thank you.
I may have confused you. I meana joint separator that pops the bolt out. Do I need a special tool to get off the joint? I now see that I may need a pushermto take out and put back in.
Also on the MB club site they say that Lemforder are a good joint. Is the correct?

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Have you a picture of the ball joint in question .the reason i ask is the rear control arm only has an anti roll bar link ball joint. The front arm has a ball joint which cant be exchanged and the hub has a ball joint but isnt soley on an arm as such.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Assuming your just replacing the rubber, then you will need a puller and a press. Replacing the rubber is cheaper that the entire link holding the rubber, but that depends on the condition of the link and the nuts etc.
Lemforder are OE for many suspension parts on mercs, you may be able to see thier stamp on the link or a part number, google it and you may find the OE manifacturer

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Assuming your just replacing the rubber, then you will need a puller and a press. Replacing the rubber is cheaper that the entire link holding the rubber, but that depends on the condition of the link and the nuts etc.
Lemforder are OE for many suspension parts on mercs, you may be able to see thier stamp on the link or a part number, google it and you may find the OE manifacturer

I am a bit cofused now. I am asking about a ball joint removal. Looking on line I think that you need a press to push out and push in the ball joint unit. I will have to take a look and see. Probably te option I should have taken first.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am a bit cofused now. I am asking about a ball joint removal. Looking on line I think that you need a press to push out and push in the ball joint unit. I will have to take a look and see. Probably te option I should have taken first.

Mot tester wont list a failed rubber as slight play.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You mean a bush rather than a ball joint ? The ball joint is just split with the ball joint separator then falls out

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
You mean a bush rather than a ball joint ? The ball joint is just split with the ball joint separator then falls out

I can only go by what is on the MoT certificate which says:- Off side front Ball Joint Slight Play (rear lower arm ball joint movement).

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can only go by what is on the MoT certificate which says:- Off side front Ball Joint Slight Play (rear lower arm ball joint movement).
The front is a ball joint splitter tool , which you have . Rear I don’t know

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
There's obviously some confusion as to what's got the play in it. The bottom ball joint does appear to be part & parcel of a bush & is pressed into the lower arm.

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
I know hw to separate them, but how are they held onto the car? Yes I will need to look.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
Your front lower ball joint is press fit and is held in under pressure. As in the above video you need to use a press to remove and install them. If you don't have access to a hand held press you can remove the whole assembly and get a garage to use a shop press.
I have done this job on my w201 in situ and it is a bit of a pain (especially because of the front spring being a factor on this model) but it is diy'able.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Its the front rear arm im guessing . Which only has the arb ball joint to link. The hub ball joint sits on the front rear lower arm.

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Thank you for all your help. I will take a look this weekend and see if I can decypher the MoT note.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
id say its the larger press in one , they are a git if it is , I usually strip the arm off and belt it out with a drift / hammer then carefully knock the new one in without damaging the rubber boot , the arm don't really fit in a press very well , not the one I use at least

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
There's obviously some confusion as to what's got the play in it. The bottom ball joint does appear to be part & parcel of a bush & is pressed into the lower arm.

This post shows you the ball joint they are describing. It is pressed into the part that some people describe as the "hub" and some describe as the "knuckle". Either way, it's a press job to replace it. If you are near me I'd happily press it out and the new one in if you were to bring the knuckle to me. People have achieved a result with various home methods, but I'd recommend a press for doing it safely and properly. You can buy a tool to do them on the car, but it's a large expense for a one off job.

Andyn666

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W211 E320 CDI estate
The joint is pressed in, it can be done on the car in half an hour with the right tool, you can get it on that auction site, this is the one I have, item number 262781486151, it's not too expensive, probably cheaper than the labour. You will need a ball joint separator, and some ear plugs for when it releases, replace the other side while your at it too.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom