Does a C32 AMG have an LSD?

Dazzler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDi Estate 05
As above please, as i have not seen mentioned that it does but thought a car like this would have.

TIA

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I am not sure where you would put the LSD or how you inject it:D

I do not think so but not 100% sure

OP
D

Dazzler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDi Estate 05
Having done some more research it would appear that it does not:confused:
Very strange for a car with that much power.
A quaife LSD seems to be the way to go.
Any one know of someone who has had this done??

ricky s

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as signature
Could someone enlighten me to exactly what is LSD, motor wise. Keep seeing this term, but don,t know what it is.

OP
D

Dazzler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDi Estate 05
Limited Slip Differential.

It enables BOTH rear wheels to drive rather than one spinning like mad when trying to pull away sharply.
Will also stop the TC/ESP light flashing quite so much in slippery conditions.

Hope this helps

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Put another way - it aids forward travel instead of slowing you down on your journey, as with ESP traction control, which brakes the car and reduces power to the engine.

ESP impedes progress - LSD aids progress.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I could not see it listed with the souce of rear axles

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
It may well have ASR which acts on the rear wheels via the brakes and electronic throttle. It's not quite the full ESR ( anti yaw stability system) which acts on the brakes of all the wheels

gre1591

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Auto (1995)
If i remember right LSD are clunky things for road work.

simon_wall69

Reaction score
Could someone enlighten me to exactly what is LSD, motor wise. Keep seeing this term, but don,t know what it is.

A normal differential splits the torque from the input shaft (prop shaft) to the output shaft. As the wheels turn at different speeds when cornering (as the inside wheel has less far to travel) there is an internal gear to compensate and allows one wheel to rotate more quickly than the other so the car will safely go around corners. The torque to the output shafts remains the same.

A limited slip differential, instead of having the gearing, either has clutches or a fluid coupling (like a torque converter) to enable different amounts of torque to be applied to either output shaft as well as allowing the output shafts to travel at different speeds. Hence, more power is sent to the outside wheel when turning as this has more grip due to the momentum of the car.

It is a limited slip diff because the disparity between the torque is limited to a certain bound.

The advantage of the LSD is that it won't spin the inside wheel when cornering as more torque can be sent to the outside wheel.

The disadvantage is more complexity and expense.

There are also electronic versions that use the brakes on the inner wheel to allow the outer wheel to grip more and locking diffs that sent equal torque to either shaft and only allow the shafts to turn at the same speed.

Feel free to correct any of this but this is as I understand it!

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
The C32 has esp, which controls wheelspin quite effectively. I would recommend you try the car out first before spending further money. I have never felt the need to fit a quaife diff (which is ATB, rather than LSD by the way..). The C32 is a phenominal machine, quite capable of outdragging an E46 M3 from the lights, but it is no match in the corners, sadly. They never made the M3 in estate form though, so if antique fairs are your thing, you can have the last laugh!!

Just yesterday, on my way back from the weekly shop, I had to show a young man in a 996 Carrera 2 that his car was not as quick from the lights as he thought...

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
It may well have ASR which acts on the rear wheels via the brakes and electronic throttle. It's not quite the full ESR ( anti yaw stability system) which acts on the brakes of all the wheels

This from the rather garbled?? wikipedia entry on the C class:-
The W202 confirms the typical attention of the brand to active and passive safety. At the launch the C-Class had standard driver airbag, ABS and integrated side-impact protection; the front passenger airbag became standard from 1995 onwards, and from the same period Traction control (ETS in the 4-cylinder models, combined with limited slip differential (ASD) or ASR in the 6 cylinders models) was available as extra cost. In 1997 ASR became standard in the C 280s equipped with the automatic transmission and in the C 36 AMG, as ETS in the 4-cylinder models, except for the C 180 and the C 220 Diesel.
With the 1997 restyling ASR became standard in all the models, except in the C 180 and C 220 Diesel. This last model continued to offer ETS available as extra cost. Moreover front side airbags and Brake assist (BAS) came in the list of standard safety features. The two basic models finally joined ASR in 1998, and, in 1999, the W202 was the first mid-size sedan to offer ESP as standard in all the range.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom