does anyone actually like the air suspension?

310_petrol

Reaction score
Hi Guys, does anyone on here actually know about the air suspension as people on here just say get rid of it but does anyone have a diagram of the air suspension system I'm interested to have a look at it, as it does not seem nearly as complicated at my range rover one was and I managed to fix that,
the merc keeps going down but I can't hear any leaks, I had a similar problem on my range rover and it turned out to be a timer relay, does the merc have a timer relay in the system??
if this system worked it would be far better than van springs because it would always keep the car level and give a nicer ride, but having this problem of dropping all the time will soon wear out the pump and lead to expensive repairs,
you can buy a kit to fix the range rover pumps yourself but I don't think anyone does one for the merc, also the range rover has a tank that holds air pressure but can't see one on the merc,
I'd like to understand the system and know how to fix it ideally,
would dropping down be only a leak? or could it be a relay or sensor somewhere??
thanks

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Generally I think you will find the ADS air suspension is well liked and I don't recall a great hew and cry to remove it. Now, the ABC hydraulic suspension fitted to the SL, CL and S classes can be very problematic and expensive.

If you want to better acquaint yourself with these different systems follow the link in this post

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showpost.php?p=790634&postcount=1

LTD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 CDi Coupe Sport
If your car drops without any apparent leaks - get the airmatic valve block checked and consider replacing it.

They are made from alloy and it becomes porous when corroded.

My S500 sat down overnight and all the usual suspects checked. The replacement of the valve block cured the problem and it's been great since.

OP

310_petrol

Reaction score
Generally I think you will find the ADS air suspension is well liked and I don't recall a great hew and cry to remove it. Now, the ABC hydraulic suspension fitted to the SL, CL and S classes can be very problematic and expensive.

If you want to better acquaint yourself with these different systems follow the link in this post

I didn't think anyone liked it, all the posts I read just say get springs fitted nobody ever suggests fixing the air system, but I'm sure air would be much better that's why the v class has it and the basic vito has springs, why turn a decent car into a van,,, people call the springs an upgrade for the v class, next they will be fitting leaf springs and calling it a super upgrade lol

OP

310_petrol

Reaction score

I clicked the link,,, where do I look for v class as I can't find anything? thanks

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
^^^ The V-Class isn't listed there

Air suspension is IMO overrated, my W140 S-Class was every bit as comfortable a drive with springs as my W220 with air

My V-Class was every bit as comfortable once i changes it from air to springs

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded

The 123 TE was one of the first to have self levelling suspension, these cars are now over 40 years old and give very little trouble ADS has been around a long time and an option in various forms on the 124/126/129/140/210. The 220 had air suspension, while the SL had hydraulic, the 221/216 has hydraulic. The 215 had hydraulic but gives virtually no problem at all compared to the 230.

I will try and find the pictures for the 638 but I know little about them.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
My old mans 221 is airsprung and is comfortable. It can raise and lower itself unlike a steel sprung car.

LTDs W220 is airsprung and has a magic carpet ride.

Coil springs snap, airmatic pumps can fail.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
the 638

m.mycat

m.mycat

m.mycat

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Part of the advantage of air suspension is that its self levelling/load compensating - big advantage when you are carrying varying weight distribution cargo- whether its people or freight! Its theoretically capable of a very long life provided the components are made robust enough- witness its extensive use on commercial vehicles. Car/4x4 variants seem to be more prone to component failure due to abrasion from road grit- good reason to keep the underside clean on a regular basis with a power washer. MB air suspension got a bad name in the early noughties with poor quality suspension units a dodgy control relay and subsequent suspension compressor burn out= expensive fix. Moral being - never ignore symptoms of air suspension problems and hope it will go away.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Part of the advantage of air suspension is that its self levelling/load compensating - big advantage when you are carrying varying weight distribution cargo- whether its people or freight! Its theoretically capable of a very long life provided the components are made robust enough- witness its extensive use on commercial vehicles. Car/4x4 variants seem to be more prone to component failure due to abrasion from road grit- good reason to keep the underside clean on a regular basis with a power washer. MB air suspension got a bad name in the early noughties with poor quality suspension units a dodgy control relay and subsequent suspension compressor burn out= expensive fix. Moral being - never ignore symptoms of air suspension problems and hope it will go away.

In most cases just that simple relay :D

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
I like mine.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My old mans 221 is airsprung and is comfortable. It can raise and lower itself unlike a steel sprung car.

LTDs W220 is airsprung and has a magic carpet ride.

Coil springs snap, airmatic pumps can fail.

Sorry Steve he has ABC suspension the same as my 216

matteb63

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl 500s & CLS500 with LPG conversions
I loved the air suspension on my v230 . I could drive over sleeping police men and wake them up without noticing...carried 4 huge pieces of Slate 60mm thick 900x600 in back..I'm sure it was way over weight but handled It..no problems.
The pump finally gave up the ghost and for the cost of replacement I switched to springs. The mercedes pumps for these have got to be made with some of the cheapest components they could find.
The springs are certainly not as good a ride but my goodness..don't have to worry about that going again and if you have owned your v230 for long then you really want to reduce the service items.With the v230 I think all the parts might be classed as service items.
Good luck with it..I spent hours messing around with the air pump and valves before begrudgingly giving up.

Last edited:

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
I took my old V-Class compressor pump into an electrical motor rewinder to have it repaired and they laughed at me. I was told it was one of the worst electric motors they had ever seen and they refused to do anything to it except to put it in the bin

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is it a 220 please, the relay ca stick causing the pump to have a short life

OP

310_petrol

Reaction score
Is it a 220 please, the relay ca stick causing the pump to have a short life

no on my v class,,, v230 if there is a relay that can stick hopefully it's just that,,, but no idea where to look
cheers

managed to get my atf hose today,,:) Richie

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I know nothing about the V class,,lets see if an indie comes on to save me searching

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom