Does anyone think I had 'Idiot' written on my forehead ...?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juddian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
Grammar was where the posh kids went ?

No, grammar school was where those that passed the 11 plus could go if their parents were of any (read poor as most working class people of those days were) income or means.

A good system mostly undone by PC fools.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
True, but anyone who has ever used MB for servicing on a regular basis will have had a similiar experience at one time or another.

In my experience, taking a year old car with low mileage for a B service, which really only involves checking the vehicle over & changing the oil & filters, results in a bill between £500 to £600. Nothing you say can convince me that MB servicing rates are acceptable.

Russ

My last B service was under £300. At least, that's how much the invoice was to MB ServicePlus, which they gave me a copy of as the dopey Service Advisor wrote the wrong year in my service book and then tried to alter it.

They regaled me with all sorts of other "necessary" work but when I picked the car up, it turned out none of it had been needed.
Funny that, eh?

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Remain it should :cool:

Yes: it fits well with most of the others who can judge without even seeing the invoice or what it was for. I hope if any of you are up for judgement, rather more evidence against you will be demanded before you are found guilty.

Hibbo

Reaction score
Hi Hawk, long time no agrue :lol:

You are quite correct, none of us have seen the invoice, we have however had a brief summary of it from Lulu.

Could you please give a brief example of what work you would deem acceptable to warrant a bill of £1500 (minus £200 discount of course - those generous guys!)?

It was a service. It had consumables and a couple of ad hoc parts changed. Unless there is a LOT more to it, then this price is appalling.

Peace.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
They have charged me £62.00 to take it for a test drive!!! What?!
Considering that "road test" would be part of the B service then, on the face of it, that's outrageous. And how long where they out for - normally the road test is around the block.
I've been charged for rear brake pads - no problem there. Then they've also charged me for brake rotors; 2 x brake cleaner; 2 x brake discs; brake shoe; sender unit; fastener; oh and let's not for the brake paste. Then we move onto V belt; fuel filter; air filter clean; and fuel hose. Then comes the service along with a washer; battery set; seal ring; combi filter; oil filter; oil; oil filler cap; and brake fluid.
I've said this before, but I think all dealers invite trouble by itemising out every little item. "Fastener" :lol:
The best bit was that I've just had it MoT'd and they missed a bit of play on the offside track rod.
Define "a bit of play". Did the test station issue an advisory? Seems odd that the dealer missed an opportunity to take even more money, though.
Does this stuff sound reasonable after 4 years of servicing and maintenance by mainly non Mercedes garages?
Well, it's a bit late now but taking a 5yr old, 100K miles car that's rarely been dealer serviced to an MB dealer is a bit mad.

Many can bitch and moan about it, but if they did a lot of work then it's going to cost a lot of money - that glass palace has to be paid for somehow, and you're also subsidising all the leasing companies and MB Service Plus because there's no way they will pay those kind of bills.

Last edited:

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
Why's the dealer getting all the attention, in this thread .......... It makes it about as far as "off topic" could go, in my opinion

The OP asked ....... Does anyone think I had 'Idiot' written on my forehead ...?!

Well the answer is undoubtedly yes !! ............. you've dithered hithered and changed your mind over how it all came about ........ all the dealer was trying to do was give you a car that worked, .......... well..........and safely !!

Perhaps you and your husband could communicate better, next time you book a car in for service !

With each other, and the dealer !!!

Last edited:

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Why's the dealer getting all the attention, in this thread .......... It makes it about as far as "off topic" could go, in my opinion. all the dealer was trying to do was give you a car that worked, .......... well..........and safely !!

An understandable, if brief rant - but it does not explain the play on the offside track rod? :confused:

I accept that to make the car whole again could have been expensive - but it does not seem that such an objective had been achieved, in spite of the cost?

Certainly, on the basis of "buyer beware", the OP will have learned by this.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Just to follow on here with some suggestions, why not check out what trade bodies this garage belongs to, and forward a copy of the invoice and your complaints to them...talk to the garage first tho'.. I'm sure a trade body will be sympathetic to your plight..

OP
L

Lulu01

Reaction score
How do you know that? We have not seen the details yet of what was done. I have asked but not yet received.

I know this has become quite a busy debate, but do keep up :lol::rolleyes::lol:. I gave a list of the work in my initial post. I then added some stuff re warning lights - brakes, oil.

Did you want some other info?

OP
L

Lulu01

Reaction score
Why's the dealer getting all the attention, in this thread .......... It makes it about as far as "off topic" could go, in my opinion

The OP asked ....... Does anyone think I had 'Idiot' written on my forehead ...?!

Well the answer is undoubtedly yes !! ............. you've dithered hithered and changed your mind over how it all came about ........ all the dealer was trying to do was give you a car that worked, .......... well..........and safely !!

Perhaps you and your husband could communicate better, next time you book a car in for service !

With each other, and the dealer !!!

Crikey ... talk about going for the jugular!

I haven't dithered, hithered or anything else. Nor I have changed my mind over how it came about so not sure what that little rant was about.

I and my husband could have undoubtedly communicated better. I have and continue to take full responsibility. But I hardly think you can lecture me about communication given your post which is quite rude and unnecessary.

If you can't think of any helpful to say, then perhaps you should go and answer some other posts.

The Hooded Claw

Reaction score
you've dithered hithered and changed your mind over how it all came about ........ all the dealer was trying to do was give you a car that worked, .......... well..........and safely !!

the bit you missed out from the above was "AND LINE HIS POCKETS" This is without doubt an OBSCENE amount of money to ask ANYBODY to pay for jobs that could & SHOULD have been done for half the price.

I would personally take what you have said as an insult to my intelligence (& I'm 6 foot 2 & built like a brick Sh**house) so what poor Mrs Lulu thinks is anybodies guess.

This forum is here to HELP PEOPLE NOT to deride them into thinking they are Thick or Stupid (Even if YOU think they are it is the height of bad manners to say so) Mrs Lulu ASKED US for our advise on what she should do next THE VERY last thing she needed to hear was "It's a Bill get over it" (which in essence is what you've said.)

I'm a Heating Eng, if I came to your house & fitted a part to your boiler & charged you £1350 THE VERY first thing you'd say is " Christ thats expensive" you WOULD NOT say "Ahhhh I'm happy now my Gas Boiler is safe"

There's a line between being charged "Properly" & being "Bent over & Shafted" in this case Mrs Lulu has suffered the latter & deserves not only our help but our sympathy as well. This garage/dealership wants not only reporting to Trading Standards but taking to the Civil court as well for mal-practices way beyond the norm.

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
hi all, i'm closing this thread as it's getting out of hand

chill !

cheers
anyweb

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom