1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does my C-Class w203 / 2006 timing chain needs to be replaced ?

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by Irakli, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Irakli

Irakli New Member

Your Mercedes:
    C-Class/2006/2.5
    Hello Guys,

I have C-Class w203, 2006. It shows SERVICE ENGINE SOON check on the board. I went to engineer who tried to diagnose the problem using some tablet (I think it was some kind of Android software) and then told that it might be the problem of the timing chain sync, but I believe he was not sure.
    The engine has usual sound, not noisy, I think normal, how it should be.

Can anyone tell me what are the symptoms or how should I check if my timing chain has any problems ?

2. AJD

AJD Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2017 C200 2.0Ltr (P) ///AMG Line, Premium, 4dr. Auto. Brilliant Blue with Alpaca trim
    Hi Irakli, welcome to the forum. Hope that ^ was the answer you were hoping for :rolleyes:

3. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Deleted my post as in some markets the CEL is called the "Service engine soon" light....

You need to get a proper code reader on it to look at the error codes and report them back here.
    Your engine is an M272 and falls in the age range for potential balance shaft issues.

Irakli likes this.
  4. OP
    Irakli

Irakli New Member

Your Mercedes:
    C-Class/2006/2.5
    Thank you,

I will try to get the actual code from it. But still, what are the most key symptoms ? Should it have any noisy sound on cold start or something like that ?

5. gianton

gianton Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S204 C250 CDI 4Matic Avantgarde - 2013
    That's from an M271 200 Kompressor but you get the idea.

6. OP
    Irakli

Irakli New Member

Your Mercedes:
    C-Class/2006/2.5
    Here are the codes ...

Attached Files:

7. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Two of those codes relate to camshaft timing but neither are triggering the engine light and may be historical.
    The ones causing the engine management light are all to do with mixture and catalytic converter efficiency.

Clear all the codes down then recheck to see which ones come back.

If the P0746, P0750, P2092 and P2096 codes return I would suggest as a first step checking your air cleaners and fuel pressure. It may also be a Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF), leaking injector or bad O2 sensor. Limit how much you drive it as rich mixtures kill catalytic convertors.

Irakli likes this.
  8. OP
    Irakli

Irakli New Member

Your Mercedes:
    C-Class/2006/2.5
    I cleared the codes about a week ago, then after 3 days (after about 300km drive) SERVICE ENGINE SOON lighted up again. Today I connected to the computer and these codes triggered, so they are new ... Can they be any serious issue ?

9. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    The light has come on as a result of the emissions issues - the engine is running rich and cannot adapt so as I said earlier check air filters aren't clogged, MAF, injectors, fuel pressure and O2 sensors.

There are a couple of codes relating to the camshaft timing - check the cam sensor solenoids. Those two codes may be an indication the timing gears are foobared.

Irakli likes this.
  10. OP
    Irakli

Irakli New Member

Your Mercedes:
    C-Class/2006/2.5
    Hello, I will try to describe more clearly. My car engine was replaced with other engine, before I bought it. Old engine was having some problems which I don't know. And accordingly the codes might were stored and not cleared. I'm currently using the bluetooth adapter and mobile app, where I cleared the codes (but I'm not sure if it cleared permanently), stopped the engine, started again and this code generated again. What confuses me is that, on top, under WARNING, it writes "Reading stored DTC locked", but the code status is "Pending".

Also my second question is about MAF Air flow rate, which usually plays between 3.8 - 4.5 range. Is this normal for M272 2.5 Engine ?

Attached Files:

11. alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti MBO Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
    No that is high. Check the air filters and MAF sensor. Its very likely that the maf is faulty.

Irakli likes this.
  12. OP
    Irakli

Irakli New Member

Your Mercedes:
    C-Class/2006/2.5
    What about camshaft ? Can it be old code that comes from it's old engine ?

13. alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti MBO Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
    Its not current, delete the code and see if it comes back.

Irakli likes this.
  14. OP
    Irakli

Irakli New Member

Your Mercedes:
    C-Class/2006/2.5
    Thanks for your response,
    Exactly that confuses me, I deleted it using mobile app, than stopped engine, then started again, and the code appeared as it is in the picture. So it means it does not delete permanently, or it appeared again ?

15. OP
    Irakli

Irakli New Member

Your Mercedes:
    C-Class/2006/2.5
    What is normal value for that ?