Does the term "merc" cause offence?

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
40 years ago when I was a kid. Good enough then, good enough now.and we've had BMs and Volkies and GMs and allsorts.

The Germans like to call them Benz-es. or the proper Mer-tsay-dez. Why don't we? It's not a Murr-say-dees as we pronounce it at all.

Come on PSmart, back me up.

And we don't say Paree for Paris either. We anglicise words. Quite right too.

But I like the use of 'Benz'. They talk of the BabyBenz -being the A class and that has become the name of a website devoted to A's. Sounds good. Presumably an S class is a Big Benz!

mercmadjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230k
So I guess most of you don't like my name, Mercmadjim, or if you want my full title....MercedesBenzmadnessJames.....????...does it matter what they are called? you can call me what you want, as long as it's not late for breakfast!!

amwebby

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W215
Try the site Ask Oxford.

Okay, I should have said, "in English is generally used to mean..." just as pants is generally used to mean underwear but is used for trousers in the USA as it derives from the French pantalon, or trousers, but I was just being lighthearted. :cool:

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
This,from answers.com

n. (trăns'pôrt', -pōrt')
1.The act of transporting; conveyance.
2.The condition of being transported by emotion; rapture.
3.A ship or aircraft used to transport troops or military equipment.
4.A vehicle, such as an aircraft, used to transport passengers, mail, or freight.

5.The system of transporting passengers or goods in a particular country or area.
6.The vehicles, such as buses and trains, used in such a system.
7.A device that moves magnetic tape beyond the recording head, as of a tape recorder.
8.A deported convict.

This from askOxford

transport

• verb 1 take or carry from one place to another by means of a vehicle, aircraft, or ship. 2 (be transported) be overwhelmed with a strong emotion, especially joy. 3 historical send (a convict) to a penal colony.

• noun 1 a system or means of transporting. 2 the action of transporting or the state of being transported. 3 a large vehicle, ship, or aircraft for carrying troops or stores. 4 (transports) overwhelmingly strong emotions.

DERIVATIVES transportation noun.

— ORIGIN Latin transportare ‘carry across’

So,with the possible exception of the practice of exiling convicts(I stand corrected,thanks),there are no occasions when the word "Transport" cannot be used to replace "Transportation"?

Regards,
Nick.

Last edited:

amwebby

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W215
See above, and now illustrate the meaning of pedantic, oh, you already have... :shock:

Last edited:

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
I don't like Merc either. I always use Mercedes and have heard Benz used also in conversation.

Much better than being a "j3rk in a Merc" :lol:

My thoughts entirely , I use the term "Benz" but then I'm common ain't I .

I think you all need to take a pill and chill out a bit after all theres much more important things to worry about than abreviations.

Benz was around when Mr Diamler came along and joined forces , Mercedes I believe was the name of Mr Benz's daughter or grandaughter .

What other car "MARQUE" has such an endearing history ? and for the most part commands respect on the road except maybe from a BMW Owner an thats an ABREVIATION or an abombination what ever your line of thought.

OP
S

S80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
None at the monent, but there's an OM642 in the Jeep Grand Cherokee!
Sorry, guys - I didn't mean to start a war :shock:

I guess that language is always changing - word meanings/foreign influence etc - though sometimes I do feel like King Canute with particular bêtes noire.

Few Englishmen would find the American expression 'belt and suspenders' unamusing :lol:

Last edited:

amwebby

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W215
I thought it was light hearted too. Although I abhor abbreviations I simply smile quietly when people use them, just as I smiled when I was told the American delivering my Mustang rental car was in the lobby wearing blue pants and red suspenders... :p

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
See above, and now illustrate the meaning of pedantic, oh, you already have... :shock:

Indeed,and I was careful to include the word in my second post:)

"If I am feeling really pedantic"

Regards,
Nick.

benz1

Reaction score
It is lighthearted banter.

And yes, we have nothing better to do (evidently).

psmart

Reaction score
The Germans like to call them Benz-es. or the proper Mer-tsay-dez. Why don't we? It's not a Murr-say-dees as we pronounce it at all.

Come on PSmart, back me up.
To be honest, I hadnt really listened to how they abbreviate it, but 'Met-tsay-deez' sounds about right for the name.

A quick lookup on leo.org (online dictionary from Munich):-
Unmittelbare Treffer
Merc - short for 'Mercedes car' [coll.] [autom.] der Mercedes

In Thailand for example, people wont generally know what you mean unless you say Benz... Merc/Mercedes is not well known.

Last edited:

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
No - expanded to 10 characters it's still no.

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
What I do find strange is people who are called Mercedes (christian name).

I know that some are called Paris but let's not go there.

amwebby

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W215

I know that some are called Paris but let's not go there.
Now that is not so strange, it is a common name in Latin America, meaning gift in Spanish. Indeed Mercedes-Benz is so-called because a Daimler dealer and racing enthusiast called Jellinik had the name painted on his competition cars for good luck after his daughter, Mercedes Jellinik.

Last edited:

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

It's a Spanish girl's name too,from long before cars were even thought of....
Paris also comes from Greek,but is a boy's name, but as to Hilton???

Regards,
Nick

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300

That'll be the full circle then. :D

I quite often refer to mine as the Merc, sometimes Mercedes. I don't pronounce it the German way when I speak English and vice versa as it wouldn't make much sense.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom