Does the term "merc" cause offence?

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
I do not think that you would be having a conversation with anyone about cars that did not know what MB meant, even up there ;):D

it means take note (note well) for somebody who can't spell. ;)

psmart

Reaction score
Just had a chat with a german friend of mine, seems like you got it spot on. He also told me they call them daimler too !
Now this can be confusing as i had a daimler which was basically a mk2 jag(uar)
Can confirm that, just spoken with the people I work with, primarily they term them 'daimler' oder 'Benz'.

They have some interesting terms for cars, ie: we have: FORD - Fix Or Repair Daily, First On Rubbish Dump - theres are a bit more to the point, for example BMW - Bavarian Mist Wagen !!

estateowner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S124 - E320 - 1995/W168 - A160 - 2005
I'm not offended by Merc, which I use in conversation more often than not.

Here in Brazil, some people refer to Mercedes Benz (cars, not lorries or buses) as "Meccah", like the city, which I personally find daft, because it sounds nothing like Mercedes in any language.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
In the South of Sweden,, there were so many 123 cars that they were known as "mopeds"

amwebby

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W215
... and in many parts of the world they are simply hailed as "taxi".

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Yes I refer to them as Mercedes, when I go out with the wife and she asks which car I say coop or SLK or Diesel or **** box.

jib

C

C180 Chris

I do not think that you would be having a conversation with anyone about cars that did not know what MB meant, even up there ;):D

I think that if i were just picking someone up or meeting someone and i said i have a blue MB, maybe they would not really know what to look for.

I don't think i have ever heard anyone say MB in speech, of course in type and on a car related thread it is easy enough to decipher

We should also bear in mind that because we all own MB cars then we use terms such as this, but others may well never make the connection.

It seems a bit like forum shorthand such as IMHO or SWMBO, to regular forum users these terms are the norm, but i had never heard of them and did not understand them for a long time.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom