Dog guards

The Crooner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 R320 cdi
My son is showing signs of growing up.

He keeps borrowing my car and thinks he might sell his Seat Ibiza FR and buy a 124 estate.

Anyway, he has a Staffordshire Bull Terrorist which gets between the string dog guard and the rear side window to enjoy the luxury of the back seat. Not good for safety.

Are there any more substantial dog guards that folk are aware of, or does anyone know of any after market ones which will fit the contours of a 124?

Cheers

Tony

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
The dog guard on the 124 if fitted will also fit behind the front chairs if the seats are folded, I have two bernese mountain dogs, did have 3 but one died in the heat last week, the guard isnt strong enought for a strong dog even at 8 stone they push through the sides and into the front, not so bad when moving as a punch on the nose puts them back.

I also put the leads through the hoops in the floor so they cant move forward.

jib

OP
The Crooner

The Crooner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 R320 cdi
The dog guard on the 124 if fitted will also fit behind the front chairs if the seats are folded, I have two bernese mountain dogs, did have 3 but one died in the heat last week, the guard isnt strong enought for a strong dog even at 8 stone they push through the sides and into the front, not so bad when moving as a punch on the nose puts them back.

I also put the leads through the hoops in the floor so they cant move forward.

jib

I'm sorry about your dog. We have two greyhounds so I know what a loss that is. You've had a bad time with the loss of the dog and the bumper.

I hadn't thought of lashing the dog down, the Staffy has strong jaws and can chew through leather so a chain lead is called for.

Thanks

Tony

exchangeandmart

Reaction score
i used to work at a kennels and so used to see a lot of various contraptions! I always used to think the dog harness were pretty good in terms of safety, I would look around and see what you think is best for you as there as so many different types

OP
The Crooner

The Crooner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 R320 cdi
Words fail me:

Dog guards R us indeed.

Thanks as ever Malcolm, I didn't think it would be that easy.

Tony

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Words fail me:

Dog guards R us indeed.

Thanks as ever Malcolm, I didn't think it would be that easy.

Tony

Hi Tony,

I had the one labeled T2 which I used in a Peugeot estate. Worked a treat with a lively spaniel. The large rubber cups top and bottom give it good purchase on ceiling and floor and the sides extend to fill the width of the compartment at each height. Simples, Tch! And much cheaper than the bespoke MB efforts, although they are very robust.

It is probably still in the loft, alongside the Peugeot roof rack (used once, but paid for itself on that trip alone).

124coupe

Reaction score
You need an electric fence.

My distantly-related English Bull Terrorist was found sitting on the back seat wearing the whole aluminium dog guard we had (very) securely fastened into place. one of the rubber cups that screwed against roof and floor was "passed" (not in a condition allowing re-use) over the next few days.

All Bull Terriers don't like to be kept away from the action.

(the factory-fit nets in the E-class serve as dental floss).

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You need an electric fence.

My distantly-related English Bull Terrorist was found sitting on the back seat wearing the whole aluminium dog guard we had (very) securely fastened into place. one of the rubber cups that screwed against roof and floor was "passed" (not in a condition allowing re-use) over the next few days.

All Bull Terriers don't like to be kept away from the action.

(the factory-fit nets in the E-class serve as dental floss).

I can just picture the look of satisfaction, coupled to "what's all the fuss about" on the dog's face.

I had an MB dog guard in the W 202 estate we had. I would like to see any dog munch that! Still have it in the garage, it does not fit the W 203 - free to a good home.

Attachments

• Dog guard 01.JPG
    Dog guard 01.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Dog guard 02.JPG
    Dog guard 02.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 9

MattBennett

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Volvo V70
Hi every one thaks for the posts back, here is the offending Stafford who has proven on a number of occasions that the W124 dog guard is not up to keeping her in!

c472.jpg

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi every one thanks for the posts back, here is the offending Stafford who has proven on a number of occasions that the W124 dog guard is not up to keeping her in!

Hi Matt.

I believe the roll up net in the 124 (and other MB estates) is really designed to contain luggage and prevent it entering the passenger compartment.

As you rightly point out, something in steel is required for dogs, especially the enthusiastic ones. The sort that Malcolm highlighted above should be fine and is a fraction of the price of the MB version.

nickcc101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S203 C180 auto estate 2001 (sold)
Hi every one thaks for the posts back, here is the offending Stafford who has proven on a number of occasions that the W124 dog guard is not up to keeping her in!

c472.jpg

Looks just like ours but without the white legs. We put ours in the back of the estate with a dog guard in place but she still moans and groans throughout the journey.

TVR Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
350 E Cabriolet 2014
We have had Englis Setters and Whippets for years. Dog guards are pretty hopeless. We use a dog cage in Beloved's Astra Estate - one with emergency doors etc. Fits the whole of the rear area behind the back seats so is effectively the same size as the back part of the car so plenty of room for the Setter (we are now down to one) and/or whippets to move about. Has a number of advantages:

1. Dogs cannot get out into the body of the car (once had 4 setters hit a dog guard at the same time when PC Plod stuck his head in to sniff my breath in case I had been drinking - which I hadn't - but the dog guard gave way, the 4 setters hurtled over the top, Beloved nearly split her sides laughing and PC Plod made a hasty retreat to his jam sandwich!)
2. Dogs are more protected if you do suffer from a rear end shunt
3. You don't have to try and hold the dog(s) in as you open the tail gate because the cage has separate doors.
4. If it is hot you can leave the tail gate up, lock the cage doors with a padlock and the dogs get lots of fresh air (also worth adding a blanket on the tail gate to give them shade.

Main downside is cost. We had Beloved's car nicked 12 months ago and never found - nor was the cage - and a new one was going to be £600 but got a good 2nd hand one for 200 notes.

Try putting car dog cage into google or go to www.ukdoggaurds.co.uk - you can actually get them made to measure for your car.

OK - I'll stop rambling...

Dave

telletubby

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 W140 S320 blue
I had exactly the same problem with my two Ridgebacks. Bought the best guard there was for my 124 estate and they not only bent it into submission so that it was unusable but one of them also subsequently left by the sunshine roof and was found in the street!

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom