doors shut windows fail to respond?

S

smarty

hi guys! weird problem with the windows on the motor, 420sel, worked fine before but after washing the car, they fail to respond unless the doors or door is open! merc garage mentioned a comfort diode? im assuming they mean a relay the swiches work, the motors work, but when you shut the drivers door, nada! zip! nowt! any ideas anyone?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This sounds like the switch in the B pillar,, there is a comfort diode that can blow as well

OP
S

smarty

thanks, do you mean the switch in the door pillar the one associated with the interior lights, and this diode, is this like a relay and found in the fuse box, and is it sometimes called a window regulator?

OP
S

smarty

new member, still getting used to the site...
the switch ? the one on the door pillar, the one associated with the interior lights, and also this diode, is it in the fuse box and possibly also refered to as a window regulator, thats what my local dealer reckons?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think that the comfort thing is in the front fuse box. the actual comfort pack is normally under the rear seat

I know that the switch in the pillars operates the doors when open, not sure if it is a change over type.

These things take very much searching,,I have the 124 printed off and I will try and check to see if the 126 is the same

OP
S

smarty

thanks television,
most helpfull, that diode must be the window regulator, sounds logical, ill let you know how it goes.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Let me have an Email address please, eithe put it in your profile or pop it up here for a few mins

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That is the circuit of the system.

Go back and edit out your address

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was right, the actual comfort diode is under the bonnet up front in the fuse box

luders79

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 estate
hello just check that none of the fuses are corroded! had this before on a 124 the windows would only work with doors open! may not be but worth a look!

OP
S

smarty

yes you were! they now call it the window regulator, 1990 onwards, the information you supplied was excellent thank you Malcolm, much appreciated

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
yes you were! they now call it the window regulator, 1990 onwards, the information you supplied was excellent thank you Malcolm, much appreciated

I think that you should be OK with that info,,its hard to get hold of these days, and the electrics are time consuming

OP
S

smarty

an update Malcolm, today after the storms i started the car no problem, the rain poured down the screen, tried the wipers, "nothing" immediately thought a fuse, checked the box no problem with any of them, but checking the manual fuse No 8 was the wipers, windows left and right, horn and comfort ciruit? although the fuse was intact i removed it and simply wiped the ends, replaced it and entered the car i tried the horn,fine i tried the wipers, success! and i thought try the windows? they worked fine!!, amazing, ive bought that relay/diode £35, ill keep it in reserve im pretty sure ill need it eventually. thanks for your help Malcolm..

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom