Double tap brake pedal to hold on cls ,,what ?

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
Double tap brake pedal to hold on cls , hold appears on display then a rev let's the hold off , is this the brake holding or the gearbox ,also does it do any harm to use , or on the other hand is it better used now and again ?

Sorry cant remember the name they gave this .

Oarsman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S350L CDI Bluetec, Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDI, 1963 Triumph TR4
It's the brakes that are holding the car. It causes no wear, so can be used as often as you like. I was told it is controlled by the EBD system.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Indeed it is the brakes that hold it and with a 7g box the car will not roll back on a hill, so nice to have, you can put it on hold and get out ;)

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Its a standard facility on the new MB's. You can also release it by tapping the brake pedal again rather than applying the throttle which I sense is slightly easier on the brake system. Doesn't come on if the handbrake is applied [ in autos at least]

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its a standard facility on the new MB's. You can also release it by tapping the brake pedal again rather than applying the throttle which I sense is slightly easier on the brake system. Doesn't come on if the handbrake is applied [ in autos at least]

No problem its held via the BAS, touch the throttle and its off, so the brakes know nothing about it, with the electric parking brake that will fly off if you touch the throttle and its in gear

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
All my auto's have had a form of hold

.......... my left foot! ;) ;) ;)

LTD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 CDi Coupe Sport
Also works if you gently brake to a stop and then depress the pedal.

Great system, coupled with the Eco-Stop it makes Germanic Logic seem sensible.

b1g1an

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG
Except when you're waiting at a junction, put it on hold ready to nip across when a gap appears...and the ****** engine stops. It might restart quickly but not nearly quick enough in that situation, should only stop if you put it in neutral like a manual.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Also works if you gently brake to a stop and then depress the pedal.

That is the way use it now, almost automatically :D:D

b1g1an

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG
That is the way use it now, almost automatically :D:D

Only way it works for me, tried all this double tapping nonsense and got nowhere. Come to a halt, press further on the pedal, works every time.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Indeed it is the brakes that hold it and with a 7g box the car will not roll back on a hill, so nice to have, you can put it on hold and get out ;)

I was reading up on this. It seems that the Sprag clutch that looked after the anti roll back on the 5g had to be left out of the 7g due to space. As they were fitting the 7g into an already approved chassis, they could not change the drive chain tunnel or they would have had to get the chassis re-approved for crash testing, so they just dropped a few things out of the box.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was reading up on this. It seems that the Sprag clutch that looked after the anti roll back on the 5g had to be left out of the 7g due to space. As they were fitting the 7g into an already approved chassis, they could not change the drive chain tunnel or they would have had to get the chassis re-approved for crash testing, so they just dropped a few things out of the box.

Thank you Mark, that makes good sense :D

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Only way it works for me, tried all this double tapping nonsense and got nowhere. Come to a halt, press further on the pedal, works every time.

Think it uses the EBD/BRAKE ASSIST logic which senses the speed and force you hit the pedal with. So if you can give the impression of the start of a "mini emergency braking" event without actually following through so to speak that will do it. Hence the "tapping " bit

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When braking say at traffic lights, if the foot is just lifted a touch when the car has stopped a further harder press it holds.

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Except when you're waiting at a junction, put it on hold ready to nip across when a gap appears...and the ****** engine stops. It might restart quickly but not nearly quick enough in that situation, should only stop if you put it in neutral like a manual.

When I know i'm going to need a "quick getaway", I just pop it in S mode - this disactivates the Stop/Start function.

Oarsman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S350L CDI Bluetec, Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDI, 1963 Triumph TR4
When I know i'm going to need a "quick getaway", I just pop it in S mode - this disactivates the Stop/Start function.

Or you can simply turn off the Eco stop start function, but still leave it in E mode.

Carabosse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 AMG Sport Line Premium Plus Coupe (C205)
Or you can simply turn off the Eco stop start function, but still leave it in E mode.

I have already got into the habit of switching off ECO, every time, before driving off. :)

b1g1an

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG

LOL on the new cars E is borderline dangerous, I'd prefer Eco with S.

Anyway, given switching modes seems to be part of normal driving now to compensate for the dreadful euro friendly default settings, putting them on poxy little buttons scattered over the middle of the dash is just plain antisocial.

BM manage one big button between you and the gearstick but they do claim to be the ultimate driving machine :)

Top Bottom