Marcodias1988

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 sport coupe 2005
Hi all i have bought a mercedes c200 coupe from 2005. Its got 232k on the clock. I was hoping some kind soul could give me a helping hand with my issue with this car.
So i started off with what i now learned is the black death, one of the injectors was leaking fuel.
Any how that got fixed and no longer do i have a leak.
Now the initial problem with the car is it keeps going into limp mode limited revs to 3000rpm and very poor performance.
So after reading for hours and hours and also taking out thw egr valve and cleaning it twice, i conected a friends diagnostics machine to it, its giving me code 2626 and its saying the particle filter is too full to regenarate.
After some more reading on the subject i learned that the dpf needs to regenrate. Also the diagnostics machine sayd that it had been 990miles since last regen.
So after some more online reading and youtube videos i bought 2 things of Dpf cleaner chucked it into the diesel tank and went for nearly at 2 hour drive in 5th doing roughly 2300rpm to my suprise i didnt feel or see anything different, car was still the same and still limited.
As i was reachibg my house the car started to rev by its on be unresponsive every time i press the accelarator, after about 1 2 minutes of this i started to see white smoke coming from the bonnet i was driving at around 10 to 15mph as i was on the road where i live. So seeing so much smoke i imediatly stoped the car and thought it was catching fire.
Later on i read online that this is normally what happens when dpf is regenrating. The next day to my suprise no more engine ligh on, but once i get on motorway limp mode again all this time whenever this happened by turning off turning on car the limp mode would go away sometimes for 5 min sometimes for 20.
Now my real big question is should i just put another thing of dpf cleaner in the diesel and go for another long drive and see if it will regenrate? Also i forgot to mention the car seems like it needs a new thermostat as even at 70mph on motorway it only gets to 45-50 on the gauge, will this also stop the regenaration process as the engine doesnt reach its normal temperature?
I love the car and i know it has alot of miles but its in splendid condition for age apart from this little or maybe hudge problem.....

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
You are playing a guessing game. Need to get codes read really. Thermostat def needs changing. May have crook MAF. Get an indie to look at it and give proper diagnosis. Costs more to throw parts at it. Did you complete the regen or turn it off?

Ian.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The car wont do a regen unless it gets to temperature. Fix the thermostat and your problem may go away.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
I would start from the beginning. Look at the fault codes and then carry out the diagnostic tests based on that fault code.

The usually problems we get with these early DPFs on the 646 engines are the T/Stats and the DPF pressure sensors failing. Once these have been replaced you need to reset the adaptation data and carry out a forced regen. If this doesnt work then removing the DPF and hot pressure washing it out or using a foam cleaner such as Tunap (which is what I use) usually does the trick.

However DPF's can also lose their efficiency to regenerate causing a constant fill and high ash level fault code.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Will a 2005 W203 have a DPF????

Could be egr valve clogged up??

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
As JBell - does a 2005 C class even have a dpf?

Just read Tunap reviews, and the product sounds good. That's one to keep in mind - thanks Steve.

The OP is on a guessing game without direction. Get to a Star equipped garage and have the codes read. A general purpose code reader does not give an accurate diagnosis on Mercedes vehicles. Your problems could lie elsewhere and not with a dpf.

Regarding the engine temperature - as has been said before, when your thermostat does not allow a rock steady 85 degrees to be reached and maintained, it is faulty and must be changed. A faulty 'stat can throw up other problems, so changing it is an immediate must do.

e55amggary

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220cdi sport edition Auto / A6 2.7tdi Quattro s line Avant
As i understand it there were some strange dates when the w203 had dpf,s fitted. ! have had a 55 plate and a 56 plate without dpf,s. But you can get 2005 models with a dpf ?

Maybe something to do with if built in south africa or germany

Strange

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Will a 2005 W203 have a DPF????

Could be egr valve clogged up??

Has an electronic EGR so it will either open or close, it will fault code if it fails.

Emmisions package for W203 came in in 2004. My old 54 plate 220 had a DPF.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
As JBell - does a 2005 C class even have a dpf?

Just read Tunap reviews, and the product sounds good. That's one to keep in mind - thanks Steve.

I was ever the sceptic but after them doing a live demo I was impressed enough to buy the kit. It does work as well.

monkeh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007/8 Chrysler, 300c, OM642 lump
What Engine? If there is any faults logged, Like Glowplugs, Mass air flow faults, Boost leaks, EGR, CAT Temps, Exhaust pressure (both DPF measurements and manifold pressure) The car will not regen. Best thing is to get the codes read, its a starting point.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom