DPF Regen Question

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C220 Sport CDI estate
Evening people, I have a quick question about the DPF regen on my 2012 c220. When it’s doing it’s regen, what effect does it have in the characteristics of the engine? Ie, is there a small amount of power loss, fuel economy etc? Can you tell when it’s doing the regen?
My old Passat used to idle slightly higher, the cooling fan would kick in even if the temp wasn’t high, and you’d get a bit of smoke out the back...
Reason I ask is that over the weekend, the car felt lacking in power, and the mpg was nowhere near what I’d expect. Friday morning drive into work was quiet, sat at 70mph for 20+ mins, I expected to get close to 50mpg, but only just scraped 40. Then all weekend it didn’t feel right. But today, the power felt like it had returned, and the drive home today was more start stop, but the mpg shot up to 46, more like what I’m expecting.. does this sound like it was doing a regen over the weekend?

Cheers,
Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
I have never been aware of mine doing a regeneration when driven but on a couple of times when pulling up at home I have noticed the fan running and a very hot smell coming from the car.

I leave my car running whilst this is happening but not sure if it’s necessary.

Car is a 2016 E350

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
S

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My Passat used to do that. Worried me at first, couldn’t understand why the fan was running when the car was still not up to temp, and that smell.. quick check on google put my mind at rest...
Just wondered whether the merc does anything similar when doing a regen. Can’t say I’ve noticed the fan running..

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
You shouldn't really notice anything other than the mpg drop. On the odd occasion you may feel some very minor power hold back, but should be very minor. The smell is certainly something you can get if it is mid regen when stationary.

OP
S

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, I thought as much. It was strange how the mpg dropped and there was a small drop in power, then all of a sudden it was ok again on Monday.. mpg not too great at the moment tho with this weather...

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom