DPF regeneration oil burning smell. B200d

JWS1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B200d AMG Line
Whilst searching web for an issue with my new B200d (now done less than 1000 miles), I found a thread by KNG describing similar issue but can’t now find it, search simply says can’t find member KNG. Anyway, yesterday I pulled up at destination after just 8-mile drive and “serious” overheat issues indicated by very strong oil burning smell, and under bonnet cooling fans running flat out for several mins after stopping engine. Worrying at the time, but it’s looking like I probably stopped in the middle of a DPF regeneration cycle. I could of saved the time and worry if this was made clear at the time of purchase or at least in the documentation.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Yes it can be worrying when it first happens but nothing to worry about and, despite what others may say, no problem stopping the car part way through the regen and it will simply start it again when it wants to. The only real issue to be aware of is that, if you do a lot of short journeys where the engine does not properly get up to temperature, you may start to have problems with the DPF. The dealer should have discussed that with you as part of the purchase but they rarely do for fear of losing a sale.

Welcome to the forum.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

Clouds of smoke and a horrible smell is normal DPF regeneration burn off. Not sure why they don’t describe it as such in the manual... perhaps they don’t wish to put owners off :rolleyes:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and the world of DPF regeneration.

You are quite right there should be more about DPF forced regeneration in the handbook but in mitigation it is an automatic system. During a regeneration yes there is be a tidal wave of hot air coming from under the car and the fans especially on a hot day will run at full speed but there shouldn’t be any smoke coming from under the car if there is you may have a small oil leak getting onto the exhaust.

From what you’ve described with your car everything seems normal

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
Hello and welcome

Clouds of smoke and a horrible smell is normal DPF regeneration burn off. Not sure why they don’t describe it as such in the manual... perhaps they don’t wish to put owners off :rolleyes:

A Regeneration warning light on the dash with an appropriate text in the Handbook would have been more than useful,but as has been implied would have led to a significant drop in sales.
Manufacturers have been underhand and such practices will impact future sales.

OP
J

JWS1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B200d AMG Line
Thanks for comments, I understand it a lot better now, though of course (with my engineering hat on) don't necessarily agree with the technology and the effectivelly hiding it from the customer, although it would not have stopped me buying it as otherwise, a great car.

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Thanks for comments, I understand it a lot better now, though of course (with my engineering hat on) don't necessarily agree with the technology and the effectivelly hiding it from the customer, although it would not have stopped me buying it as otherwise, a great car.
All normal as far as I can tell. I was once told best way to start a regen was to stick in cruise control at around 65mph and let it go for 20 to 30 minutes. But make sure it's up to temp first and you have over a quarter tank fuel.
And welcome to the forum

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
A forced regeneration only takes place every 300/400 miles or so if the car sees mainly short journeys otherwise passive cleaning of the DPF takes place where the engine and exhaust generally see normal operating temperatures on a consistent basis ie, fast A road/motorway driving. I find the MB system works very well and not many problems noted on her as opposed to some manufacturers

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Do you find the cars throttle response is lumpy/hesitant/inconsistent whilst the car is regenerating? That’s how I know mine is doing one.

My OM642 engine revs at 800 at idle and gives a sharper exhaust rasp in fact I wish the car was as nice to drive all the time changes are smoother and no drop off in throttle response - how they all differ obviously

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
My OM642 engine revs at 800 at idle and gives a sharper exhaust rasp in fact I wish the car was as nice to drive all the time changes are smoother and no drop off in throttle response - how they all differ obviously
My OM642 was the same - sounded good and just “felt” a better drive, presumably down to all the extra fuel it was burning!

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
My w205 appears to regenerate without any outwards sign at all, no smoke, noise or any other difference in the way it runs.
Only way I can tell it's happened is exiting the car and putting a foot on the ground, you can feel the excess heat from under the car, other than that you would never know.

dannyfiveforty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2003
My w205 appears to regenerate without any outwards sign at all, no smoke, noise or any other difference in the way it runs.
Only way I can tell it's happened is exiting the car and putting a foot on the ground, you can feel the excess heat from under the car, other than that you would never know.

What year/model is yours?

Thanks

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
I've never heard the sound of the diesel engine exhaust note be likened to a rasp before.

dannyfiveforty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2003
I've never heard the sound of the diesel engine exhaust note be likened to a rasp before.

My bluetec has no sound difference at all. My previous 2008 300C srt would would have a ‘deeper’ sound, but would drive absolutely no different than when it wasn’t regenning.. frustrating really

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
You are quite right there should be more about DPF forced regeneration in the handbook but in mitigation it is an automatic system.

A forced regeneration is when you plug it into a diagnostic machine and force it to do an immediate regen. That isn't something that would go into any owners manual as it is a very rare event and driven by the dealership diagnosing an issue which would have thrown the Engine Management warning light. That even is in the manual and tells you to take it to a service centre.

As the automatic regeneration is not something the owner interacts with, and should be pretty much invisible to them, I can't see why you would want it described in the manual. It will just cause more confusion than anything with people trying to see if they can spot it happening and getting concerned its not when they can't.

Now, what perhaps should be in the manual (if its not) is a warning that lots of sub 3 mile journeys with no longer journeys within a 300 mile period will potentially mean that regens do not happen and could cause problems. Car dealers should then be compelled to check the driving patterns of the potential owners to ensure this is not going to be a concern and if so, point them to other forms of power, be it petrol, electric etc.

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
I work 9 miles away from where I leave i do that trip and back 5 to 6 times a week. Occasionally I'll go to Carlisle which is 20 miles away usually 2 one times a month. Iv never had any issues with dpf regens. I even had a eml on for a month while investigating a inlet manifold issue. I have never seen, felt and smelt the regen happening but I know it does it as I had it checked by my indy and main deal on services and came back as regen operation normal. I'm glad I cant see it happening.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
A forced regeneration is when you plug it into a diagnostic machine and force it to do an immediate regen. That isn't something that would go into any owners manual as it is a very rare event and driven by the dealership diagnosing an issue which would have thrown the Engine Management warning light. That even is in the manual and tells you to take it to a service centre.

As the automatic regeneration is not something the owner interacts with, and should be pretty much invisible to them, I can't see why you would want it described in the manual. It will just cause more confusion than anything with people trying to see if they can spot it happening and getting concerned its not when they can't.

Now, what perhaps should be in the manual (if its not) is a warning that lots of sub 3 mile journeys with no longer journeys within a 300 mile period will potentially mean that regens do not happen and could cause problems. Car dealers should then be compelled to check the driving patterns of the potential owners to ensure this is not going to be a concern and if so, point them to other forms of power, be it petrol, electric etc.

Some interesting points made:

The DPF as we all know filters soot from exhaust gas over a period of miles and as said short journeys don’t allow enough heat to build up in the exhaust to burn this off. When the pressure sensors fore and aft of the DPF unit detect that the unit is full the ECU forces a regeneration by injecting diesel into the exhaust to burn off the soot. It’s all a matter of terminology admittedly and yes a dealer can hook the car up to STAR and do this.

As far as what’s said in the manual is concerned a modern diesel fitted with a DPF can be quite alarming to some, the noise created (burning fuel in the exhaust) and heat generated under the vehicle are quite an experience especially with the V6 lump

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom