Dpf

OP
N

Neil Davies

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 cdi convertible
What codes so far ?
Ain’t got a diagnostic tool yet , looking to get one if it resets the dpf or values , local garage checked dpf cudnt find anything wrong with sensors etc , saud he reset the values , it’s ran well ever since done bout 450-500 only short journeys as have been in lockdown in wales , was planning on taking it in the motorway to regen but the eml came on , so im hoping to get a tool to reset values if I don’t get chance to take it for a regen

john campbell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 E250 sport deisel
As said before if the sensors are working correct the dpf will do a regen ok and give you no problems. I had a similar problem with mine and it was a faulty exhaust back pressure sensor. The part was £47 and 10 min job to replace myself and its fixed the car with no more issues and i use my car on short runs all the time. Yes the cleaners do help but they are only a helping hand so get the car on a scanner and make sure the sensors are giving the correct readings first so your not chucking good money away.

OP
N

Neil Davies

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 cdi convertible
As said before if the sensors are working correct the dpf will do a regen ok and give you no problems. I had a similar problem with mine and it was a faulty exhaust back pressure sensor. The part was £47 and 10 min job to replace myself and its fixed the car with no more issues and i use my car on short runs all the time. Yes the cleaners do help but they are only a helping hand so get the car on a scanner and make sure the sensors are giving the correct readings first so your not chucking good money away.
Had couple of diagnostics an both said cudnt find any faults , but they weren’t mains dealers tho

john campbell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 E250 sport deisel
Did the do a live data reading on your car ? I only found my problem that way by reading the sensors when the car was driven. The back pressure sensor would drop out the signal after a few miles driving and would work fine standing still with the engine running. There are 2 sensors on the 220..... One is under the airbox with 2 rubber pipes going to it and cost £28 for the part and the other one is at the egr cooler back pipe bend. I replaced both on my car as they are both common for failing.

OP
N

Neil Davies

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 cdi convertible
Did the do a live data reading on your car ? I only found my problem that way by reading the sensors when the car was driven. The back pressure sensor would drop out the signal after a few miles driving and would work fine standing still with the engine running. There are 2 sensors on the 220..... One is under the airbox with 2 rubber pipes going to it and cost £28 for the part and the other one is at the egr cooler back pipe bend. I replaced both on my car as they are both common for failing.
Not sure , il go garage n ask em

john campbell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 E250 sport deisel
TBH i would just replace the 2 sensors and take it for a decent run. If you are handy with the spanners you can do the sensors yourself.

OP
N

Neil Davies

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 cdi convertible
Ye willing to av a go , as long as I can find the sensors , is it doable on car jack

john campbell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 E250 sport deisel
Both sensors are at the top of the engine. Look on youtube for the how to change the dpf presure sensor and the exhaust presure sensor. Very easy to do and you only need basic tools to change them. Also have a look on ebay for a mercedes icarsoft scanner as they are a very handy tool that you can reset most issues you will come across and also use live data on the dpf.

Hope it has helped you and if you get stuck just ask. If you had been closer i would of done them for you but your a million miles away lol

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Dpf worst invention ever
Not for dealers and benz!! I do wonder,if you chucked ur dpf in a fire would it burn soot out without wrecking it ?

OP
N

Neil Davies

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 cdi convertible
Both sensors are at the top of the engine. Look on youtube for the how to change the dpf presure sensor and the exhaust presure sensor. Very easy to do and you only need basic tools to change them. Also have a look on ebay for a mercedes icarsoft scanner as they are a very handy tool that you can reset most issues you will come across and also use live data on the dpf.

Hope it has helped you and if you get stuck just ask. If you had been closer i would of done them for you but your a million miles away lol
Brill thanks for ur help , il av look on YouTube

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
There are a few parameters to be met before a regen is permitted.
Minimum level in the fuel tank, 20% 'I think'.
Engine up to a minimum temperature, 60 degrees C, 'I think'.

Additional problems, but maybe less common, are the exhaust temperature sensors. One upstream of the DPF (on the cat), and one on the DPF.
In normal running the cat temp sensor will be a higher reading than the downstream DPF temp sensor. Live monitoring of these can be useful.
During a regen the DPF will rise from circa 250 - 350 degrees (as low as 160 while coasting) to high 600's and possibly as high as 800, depending on the engine loading. Post regen this drops rapidly as the differential temperature to the atmosphere is so high. This is my in cab (not LED) indicator of when it's in regen, I monitor on Torque.
Torque is very useful but has limitations in that it doesn't see all sensors, but it is free.

Another issue, I am told but not convinced of, is that a new DPF (can be as cheap as £260 for an aftermarket jobbo, and easily fitted if the sensors come out without trauma), is the requirement for an ECU update.

Where I am confused is the blocking up again after a relatively short mileage. That usually would indicate other issues rather than your low mileage usage, to my mind of limited understanding at least.
Live readings of the sensors may well reveal a faulty sensor, but are you possibly burning oil?

Last edited:
OP
N

Neil Davies

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 cdi convertible
Thanks for ur amazing reply , my oil level seems to b ok , wud that indicate burning oil by using more oil

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
I'm sure he is , but yes check every detail .

These engines are rife with this issue of what is a flawed system .

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't know how much the engine burning oil would be needed to block the DPF, so couldn't say how obvious it would be on the dipstick.
But yes if measured in the same conditions of level ground & oil temperature I would expect it to fall some.

As above be sure you are using low ash engine oil that's the spec of 229.51, the --.-1 digit is the low ash indicator. It's more common on the shelves than the 229.5 anyway so more likely than not.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Dpf worst invention ever
Yes they can be a headache when other components give up which stop them regenerating. Pity Mercedes didn't have the wisdom to include in the software something that tells us on the dash if the DPF has missed a regen rather than software letting us know when its past the point of no return. But I suppose theres no money in that for dealers and extortionate parts supplied by Mercedes:mad: Thank god we have indies and the people that make diagnostic tools

Last edited:
OP
N

Neil Davies

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 cdi convertible
Bought the car in April this yr, so Duno wat oil is in it , but next service I’ll make sure I get the right oil thx Again for ur all the info in ur replies

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you still have details of the previous owner from the V5 you might try to contact them to learn of service history.
Better still the service record might have a stamp from a reputable garage. Their number can be useful for finding out if they understand Mercs.
If nowt from that change the oil and filter, as a minimum and as a start point. If unknown then poor materials can do detrimental things to an engine.

I found a Chinese filter had fallen into the sump when I did an ATF change some time back. Too sloppy to fit well.

OP
N

Neil Davies

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 cdi convertible
If you still have details of the previous owner from the V5 you might try to contact them to learn of service history.
Better still the service record might have a stamp from a reputable garage. Their number can be useful for finding out if they understand Mercs.
If nowt from that change the oil and filter, as a minimum and as a start point. If unknown then poor materials can do detrimental things to an engine.

I found a Chinese filter had fallen into the sump when I did an ATF change some time back. Too sloppy to fit well.
Which oil wud I need , and oil filter , wud a europarts oil filter b Ok

Top Bottom