DPT Unit ?

Axcontrols

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
53 ML 270CDI, 2017 GLA200d
I've just found a receipt showing that the previous owner of my ML had a DPT unit fitted (350 quid he paid ?)

DPT = Diesel Performance Tuning - I googled for DPT unit and apparently it's a magic box that's supposed to increase performance/BHP/ Fuel efficiency etc !!

Does anyone here have one fitted to their car ?

Does it make any difference ?

Does it void my MobiloLife ?

How do I remove it ?

Cheers

sr-performancelive..

Reaction score
Website
www.sr-performance.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 325 TDS TOURING
Hi mate it's just a tuning box, just a device that basically pump's more fuel into your engine giving power but not good long term.
Locate the box and follow the wiring harness, should go to the common rail, just unplug and refit the commonrail plug back to it's original connector...:)

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
hi steve, how does it work then?

i guess it just fools the ecu into thinking it has lower fuel pressure than it actually does, causing it to run at higher pressures?

i suppose you would recommend a proper remap to achieve more power and more economy without sacrificing reliability? :D

sr-performancelive..

Reaction score
Website
www.sr-performance.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 325 TDS TOURING
:) yes mate, i would always recommend a remap, it's done properly then..
But yes it basically fool's the engine with a box and I know of a few now that have either ruined an engine or caused running problems.
I had a tuning box company ring me 2 weeks ago regarding selling me boxes at "trade" for cars that I cannot remap due to Hybrid ecu's ect..

£318 +vat to me, no way not interested... dont sell them.

if a job's worth doing!!! :)

sr-performancelive..

Reaction score
Website
www.sr-performance.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 325 TDS TOURING
:) yes mate, i would always recommend a remap, it's done properly then..
But yes it basically fool's the engine with a box and I know of a few now that have either ruined an engine or caused running problems.
I had a tuning box company ring me 2 weeks ago regarding selling me boxes at "trade" for cars that I cannot remap due to Hybrid ecu's ect..

£318 +vat to me, no way not interested... dont sell them.

if a job's worth doing!!! :)

SpikeUK

Reaction score
I've just found a receipt showing that the previous owner of my ML had a DPT unit fitted (350 quid he paid ?)

DPT = Diesel Performance Tuning - I googled for DPT unit and apparently it's a magic box that's supposed to increase performance/BHP/ Fuel efficiency etc !!

Does anyone here have one fitted to their car ?

Does it make any difference ?

Does it void my MobiloLife ?

How do I remove it ?

Cheers

Answering the original questions:
1. Yes. My C270CDI has one.
2. Yes. It has noticably improved performance and also has improved fuel consumption (about 3mpg).
3. Yes. Mercedes would not be able to recommend anything that alters CO2 etc..
4. Simples! It is just an in-line box with it's own cables. 5 minute job to put back to original.

OP
A

Axcontrols

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks y'all

Just took it out.

Anyone want to buy a DPT unit ?

SpikeUK

Reaction score
I would be very interested to hear from any independent poster who has first-hand knowledge about "ruined engines and running problems" caused by an installed DPT box.
I have had mine installed for a year now and only have positive comments to make - benefitting from the performance and better fuel consumption figures.
Please respond if you have any info that should drive me to take out the DPT box. (professional re-mappers needn't bother).
Thanks.

OP
A

Axcontrols

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I didn't have my DPT installed long enough to know what the performance/economy is like. I still intend to clean it up and stick it on eBay. Is it very specific to the ML270 CDI or will it do the same job in other mercs ? (assuming the have the same wiring connectors).

Actually I'm very pleased with the performance of my bog standard ML 270 CDI - Previously I've owned E300 and a 380SLC and, when nobody I now is looking, I enjoy blasting around in the missus's Z3, but this car seems quicker - probably because it's a bigger car that it seems quicker than it really is - but, to be honest, I really can't think why I'd want "more" performance. It is after all not a sports car.

As for economy - 300 miles non-stop at 85mph was done at 26mpg - I don't think that's bad for such a heavy car but I hear people talking about 35-40mpg !!

Is my 26mpg at 85mph good or bad ?

Last edited:
OP
A

Axcontrols

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Try cruising at at 70-75 and you should get a better saving and still wont be much difference timewise..:)

Thanks - of course you're right - but in retrospect - would 26mpg be about right for pushing along at 80+ ?

sr-performancelive..

Reaction score
Website
www.sr-performance.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 325 TDS TOURING
seems about right for that speed, but if you did drop your speed to 70ish, would be hardly any time lost..
I used to travel up to newcastle to see g'friend and if I went on bike at, erm, 120-150mph it was 2hrs-2hrs10mins.
but when I used to go in my Isuzu 4x4 at 70 mph 2hrs 25-2hrs30 ish.

:)

OP
A

Axcontrols

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The maths are actually quite simple - If I drive 10mph quicker than another car then in one hour I'm just going to be 10 miles ahead of him.

And that's assuming I can actually average 10mph quicker. In order to average 10mph quicker I'd probably need to drive as far as possible at 20mph quicker because at a higher speed I'm more likely to be forced to slow down more often.

Or something like that.

But after all that we all tend to drive at a speed at which we feel comfortable and we ought to be happy to pay the price if that isn't the most economical - otherwise we'd all be driving at 56.

haggettd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi Avangarde Estate
Checked out DPT myself.
They pride themselves on the following, and I quote from their website

'In the Netherlands where the units were designed and are manufactured 38 Mercedes Benz franchised dealerships fit these units in their Mercedes Benz workshops. DPT is similarly fitted by Kia & Hyundai dealerships in the Netherlands.'

Make of that what you will.

Auto express thought it was good on their S-Max and Quentin wilson liked it on his Range Rover. Who wouldn't trust them eh.

Maybe it actually does what it says on the tin?

There is is no doubt that whichever method you choose you are bound to get more power and torque if you pop it on a TD.

People seem ready to criticise this method of tuning. What's the problem? is it too easy and should we only pat those on the back who spend thousands and weekend after weekend polishing inlets, changing air filters, jets, etc to get a few extra horsepower.

It's cheap, easy, quick, very effective and appears to be reliable too. I've heard of no tuning box or mapping disasters as yet.

That there is potential to even get more mpg is surely only icing on the cake.

One life, what's the worst that can happen:lol:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom