drain hole rubber bungs

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
hi

all around the underneath of my R107 there are rubber bungs that are pushed into the bottom of box sections and all along the sills.

Many of these are/were coated with underseal. I am undersealing the whole car and would like to know whether to:

1. cover them with underseal

or

2. underseal and then re-plug the rubber bungs

should i renew the rubber bungs if they appear OK?

i'm a bit confused to their purpose - should they allow water to drain out? they are solid unlike ones in the sills of my W124.

cheers

derek

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I would re fit what was there

OP
SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
I would re fit what was there

but would you cover them up (ie completely seal) with underseal or put them ontop of the new underseal?

i've removed them to spray waxoil inside the box sections. But i assume they also should be some sort of drain for these sections?

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Replace them as malcolm suggests, they are there to stop the ingress of dirt and muck into the sill and chassis rails, these holes are generally used during the building process and are known as jigging or acces holes...there will be drain holes somewhere in the panels that need them

OP
SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
Replace them as malcolm suggests, they are there to stop the ingress of dirt and muck into the sill and chassis rails, these holes are generally used during the building process and are known as jigging or acces holes...there will be drain holes somewhere in the panels that need them

i cant see any drain holes in the sills..... but can see where water can enter the sill....

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Sill drain holes are normally incorporated in the pinch weld where the outer and inner sill panels join, every so often you will see a rise in the seam similar to a ruffle in a curtain. the other method is to use a rubber bung plug with a downward sloped drain hole up on the inner sill panel. Must have a look on mine to see where they are...

Top Bottom