Drink Drive crack down.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Northamptonshire police started their Christmas drink/drug drive crackdown this morning, approximately 07.30 am.
They were randomly stopping motorists,(10 at a time) most of which were almost certainly on their way to try and earn a living.
I personally don’t agree with this taking place in the mornings
, if you drink and drive and get caught coming out of the pub car park , it’s a fair Cop in my book.
Just was interested in people’s thoughts on this ?

So if they get to work without getting caught and they start a days shift, no one is any the wiser and no harm done?
What jobs do you think are safe to do whilst over the drink drive limit?
Many jobs where the worker is under the influence can be very dangerous for other people around them or work done to a dangerous standard due to their condition.

If there's any chance of being over the limit, get around by taxi.
Anyone arriving at work drunk should be sent home and disciplinary action taken.
This crackdown is not about making money, it gets my vote.
I am against a zero limit but the current limit easy to drive in the morning without taking any chances, any doubt, leave the car at home.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I agree completely. I feel there should be no alcohol allowed at all whilst driving.

Happy if the police are about, far to much going on without any backlash due to no police presence...

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Northamptonshire police started their Christmas drink/drug drive crackdown this morning, approximately 07.30 am.
They were randomly stopping motorists,(10 at a time) most of which were almost certainly on their way to try and earn a living.
I personally don’t agree with this taking place in the mornings, if you drink and drive and get caught coming out of the pub car park , it’s a fair Cop in my book.
Just was interested in people’s thoughts on this ?

Drink wise, either you are fit to drive or you are not.....time of day is immaterial.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ditto.
I lost my mother when I was 16 due to the actions of a drunk driver. She was killed at 4 in the afternoon. If the police want to stop someone at 7 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon or at pub closing time or any other time I'm in favour of it. I wouldn't want anyone to have to deal with losing a family member or friend because some idiot thinks it's ok to drink then drive.

I know the feeling Lost Kiwi........and the bastard did not even remember it.

CrustyClam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63 2007
When I have a few the night before and need to drive the following day I use a alcosense pro tester before leaving. Great for when you've stayed a night in a hotel and been to a do. Worth every penny.

OP
vtaylor78

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
CHEERS for your views everyone ;)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I know the feeling Lost Kiwi........and the bastard did not even remember it.
In my case not only did he not remember, he got off with no penalty (on a legal technicality) and then went on to brag about it.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
In my case not only did he not remember, he got off with no penalty (on a legal technicality) and then went on to brag about it.
That's a sad account Alistair, I'm sorry that happened to you. I can't imagine the grief that caused and causes.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Life is so unfair LK.
I'm afraid I'd be doing time for retribution.
I can't forgive and forget. It's a bad trait I know.
We did get some small comfort from finding he worked in the naval dockyard.
Dad had come out the Navy 4 years previously after 20 years so had a lot of contacts, many of them senior. They found out about the bragging and made his life hell giving him every dirty job going. They told dad about it afterwards.
That's a sad account Alistair, I'm sorry that happened to you. I can't imagine the grief that caused and causes.
It wasn't a great time. It changed my life permanently as I became a very angry teenager and impacted my studies. It didn't help when dad quickly remarried even though he did ask my permission beforehand. Fortunately that marriage worked and he had 35 years with my step mum before he died but it never sat well with me.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I feel for you there LK. I lost my dad at 15. Heart attack brought on through smoking and stress. He was 45. I don't think you ever really get over it.

Back on the original topic, thirty years ago I was in the back of a car on the way home from a night club. My friend driving had had one beer all night. Unfortunately a drunk fell off the pavement just as we were passing. His head hit the windscreen pillar of the car and he was killed instantly. My pal driving was breathalysed, and was under the limit. A verdict of accidental death was recorded and my friend was exonerated of any blame. He never got over the thing though, and took his own life about three years later. He always said he could have reacted quicker if he hadn't had a drink.
If I am driving I won't even have one. Even though you might be under the limit, any alcohol in the bloodstream can affect your reaction times, and that small difference could be life or death.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
I wonder if Putin's boys have been working there. They have considerable experience in bogus drug testing and of course their Olympic scandal will be lessened if other countries are seen to be unreliable in this science. Or is this just paranoia?

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
Stopped on Wednesday at 2.30 just up from junction 1 shopping centre
for breath test 10 minutes or less and was away again.
Funny thing 2 questions asked before doing test ,did I have a drink in the last hr or smoke a cigarette.
Anyhow didn’t bother me , I don’t understand how they don’t catch more when you see the number of cars in the pup car parks from before lunch.
Just to add I do take a drink but would not drive and would have a good idea if I drink too much not to drive the next morning or until at least after 2 , that’s my rule to myself.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Stopped on Wednesday at 2.30 just up from junction 1 shopping centre
for breath test 10 minutes or less and was away again.
Funny thing 2 questions asked before doing test ,did I have a drink in the last hr or smoke a cigarette.
Anyhow didn’t bother me , I don’t understand how they don’t catch more when you see the number of cars in the pup car parks from before lunch.
Just to add I do take a drink but would not drive and would have a good idea if I drink too much not to drive the next morning or until at least after 2 , that’s my rule to myself.

Well done! When SWMBO and I go for for a meal at our local pub I've had a one-drink policy for years (although if we have to wait a while I sometimes I top up with a half comprising 3/4 lemonde+splash of bitter shandy that they make up for me). Frankly with the potential problems I just don't enjoy a drink when I'm driving.

Years ago, when I was working and everyone went across to the pub on Christmas Eve I learnt the trick of ordering 1 X ginger ale. The drinkers don't bother you with "go on, have another..." and it's a bearable drink to wash down a sandwich/whatever.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I see what you did there- nice one:)
Well done! When SWMBO and I go for for a meal at our local pub I've had a one-drink policy for years (although if we have to wait a while I sometimes I top up with a half comprising 3/4 lemonde+splash of bitter shandy that they make up for me). Frankly with the potential problems I just don't enjoy a drink when I'm driving.

Years ago, when I was working and everyone went across to the pub on Christmas Eve I learnt the trick of ordering 1 X ginger ale. The drinkers don't bother you with "go on, have another..." and it's a bearable drink to wash down a sandwich/whatever.
Yes, once you have a full ( or nearly ) full glass pf something which looks even faintly alcoholic, you wont get bothered too much with offers of a "top Up" It's a usefull trick.

ardaelius

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c class 2010 2.1 diesel four door w204 c250 cdi blue eff sport
ask a person who has a lob working as a break down recovery driver i know one ,he really does not like attending accidents his attitude is this a drink or drug driver who kills another ban for life, i go along with this i have no sympathy for them what so ever

Top Bottom