Drivers seat headrest removal?

Seabed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 W124-230E Auto Saloon
I have a W124, 1989 230TE. I want to fit a wooden bead cover to my drivers seat, and need to remove the headrest in order to allow the headrest posts to pass through the beads and its nylon string to stop the bead cover from dropping down? I've made several attempts to pull up and lift off the headrest, but it will not seperate. There does not seem to be anything that you need to press or undo to remove the headrest? Can't find anything in the manuals to help me. Any ideas please?

Attachments

• The 249'er A.jpg
    The 249'er A.jpg
    477.1 KB · Views: 4
OP
S

Seabed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Had a real good look at the seat, rear, front, sides, and underneath.... no buttons, release catches, winding mechanisms etc? The headrest just pulls up and down on 2 chrome metal poles. Pulled up to its highest extent, and try to pull/prise out, but will not release. Wondering now if I will have to take back off seat, there are two small screws under the bottom edge at the rear of the seat? Any other suggestions please?
Thanks

Seabed.

Juddian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
When it's fully up have a feel and careful look about 3 inches below the top of the seat inline with one of the steel posts.

You should find a slight recess in the seat back, which if you press hard you will release the headrest and it will pull clear.

You may have to recline the seat slightly to clear the roof as the headrest comes out.

To put it back just re-insert and wind it back down.

By the way, the winding handle is the same as the reclining handle, but you pull out for one adjustment, and push in for the other.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The clip is 104 in the link

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
As Jud--the release button is in line withn the outer peg about 3 inches down -its sometimes hard to push in !

Last edited:
OP
S

Seabed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Guys!

I'll have a look in the morning and let you know how I managed?

You have all been most helpful...... thanks again.

Seabed.

OP
S

Seabed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bingo! Found the 'concealed' button as mentioned Juddian? Pressed said button and out came the headrest (with seat slightly reclined)!!

Would never have known that had you not told me..... why it's not in my manuals I'll never know!!

Cheers for everyone who contibuted!

Seabed.

Top Bottom