Driving a CLK55 in Icy and Snowy Conditions

rocket-roy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK55 AMG
Hi all

My previous CLK320 had a winter mode selection, however, my CLK55 has not got this option.

I have not really driven this car in snowy or icy conditions.

Anyone care to share any experience on this.

Many thanks.

Roy

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Your car will have a "winter" mode selection, in this case labelled C for "Comfort". It does exactly the same thing.
I would also recommend getting winter tyres fitted to make best use of the car's systems in the snow or sub-zero temperatures ;)

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Agreed their not miracle workers, but a vast improvement over the standard tyres in snow and ice.

No tyre without studs will grip on ice, but at least a winter tyre gives you more of a fighting chance.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I only had the chance to try studded tyres while in Sweden, it was said over there and in North Canada that if you live out in the sticks then studded tyres are a must, if you live in town the winter snow tyres are OK

MarkCL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDi Avantgarde
Chuck it in 'C' setting on the 'box and keep your throttle inputs light and progressive. Mine used to spin the wheels easily enough in dry conditions, when the snow and ice started it could get almost undriveable :-( One time I had to let nearly all the air out of the tyres just to get enough traction to get down the road away from my girlfriends flat! Winter tyres are a must really these days I'm afraid - should invest in some for the E really, but Xmas is always tight financially, this year worse than usual I admit :mad: Good luck, and take it easy.

Cheers,
Mark

MSG2004

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB C Class 180k Se Auto Avtg Saloon.
Couple of years ago when we had record snow fall, my MB would not move once stopped on a gradient of more than a few degrees. Got my 4x4 to get me out. My 4x4 Jeep Grand C has Goodyear M&S tyres, is quited good for road in summer and winter.

I was not convinced by the write ups, but decided to go for Winter Contacts from Conti - kid you not, the car was as sure footed in the snow as the jeep with her good tyres.

Hope this helps. But as the others said, winter tyres or any other tyres for any season assist, but its sensible driving for the road conditions - many times I've seen idiots in the snow approach from the side roads and skid straight out into the path of other cars. On slush and snow, on a radient of more than one degree, the momentum of car once in a skid takes you down the raod buy an extra three feet or so at v slow speed, the diff between accident and not.

Last edited:
OP
R

rocket-roy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK55 AMG
Many thanks for the comments and advice guys.

Really appreciated :D

Top Bottom