Driving an Automatic car

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I tend to use N as well or P ..cant see any good reason for putting unnecessary strain on the engine transmission whilst static

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Moving the shift form D to N wears more components than leaving it in D as nothing wears at all in D at idle

Carabosse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 AMG Sport Line Premium Plus Coupe (C205)
The torque converter is trying to drive the car forward even at idle. When you hold it against the brake it is converting energy to heat.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The torque converter is trying to drive the car forward even at idle. When you hold it against the brake it is converting energy to heat.

That part is minute, every Mercedes and other maker tells you to leave it in D for all normal driving stops.

Carabosse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And every driving handbook tells you to put the handbrake on and put it into N for safety reasons.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Leave in D, the car is engineered to be held on th brakes and easily takes it.

As TV said, you cause more damage by not doing this and if you need to move off smartly you're slowing down your chances.

The driving books etc were really written with manual cars in mind not automatics

Carabosse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The driving books etc were really written with manual cars in mind not automatics

Lol! Not the bits of them which specifically relate to driving automatics. :D

The thinking is that if you are bumped from behind your foot will inevitably slip off the brake pedal, making it more likely you will be propelled into the car in front of you.

That said I do realise that in a Merc with no proper handbrake, it is very likely nobody would bother doing anything other than holding the car in D even for quite extended periods.

Oarsman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S350L CDI Bluetec, Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDI, 1963 Triumph TR4
That said I do realise that in a Merc with no proper handbrake, it is very likely nobody would bother doing anything other than holding the car in D even for quite extended periods.

That's why I like my 221 with brake hold, even with the Eco stop/start turned off.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
If you get bumped from behind and your feet are pushed off, the car would only creep forward at minimal speed for a short time before Control is Regained...It's IMHO not a major concern.

If its a major bump and the drivers knocked out, I doubt the car will be moving anyway.

Carabosse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you get bumped from behind and your feet are pushed off, the car would only creep forward at minimal speed for a short time

Lol! If you are bumped from behind at 30mph your car will not just creep forward. :D

Having the handbrake on will mitigate your frontal damage and that to the car in front of you.

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
Rear end will look a mess though! :rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The only parking brake on any of my mercedes that will hold on my drive is the 140, the 129,230,216 will not hold at all

exjag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 avantgarde 2010 3.0
"When stationary in traffic, even for many minutes, it is not necessary to move the gear lever into neutral because the torque converter absorbs the engine’s propulsion force but does not transmit it all to the gearbox. No wear is taking place. In fact, more wear will take place if you engage neutral then engage a drive gear when it is possible to move off. Most gearboxes will automatically select first gear when the vehicle becomes stationary."

R.O.S.P.A., Use of Automatic Gearboxes;

http://www.roadar.achillesyachts.co.uk/automatic_gearboxes.pdf

http://www.neleiam.co.uk/Driving_Information/Automatic_Gearboxes/automatic_gearboxes.html

Carabosse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok since we are into quoting, how about these from the government's Driving Standards Agency's handbook (2007 edition) and thus the official line on the matter:

(p75): The use of the handbrake is even more important in vehicles fitted with automatic transmission. The handbrake will help avoid

- The possibility of 'creep'
-The vehicle surging forward if the accelerator is accidentally pressed while in D (Drive)

(p326): Fully applying the handbrake whenever your vehicle is stationary is even more important on an automatic.

So what are the implications of this, given that it's the government's stance? I would say that if you cause damage to the vehicle in front of you as a consequence of not having your handbrake applied, you could in theory be accused of contributory negligence, even if you have been shunted from behind. In reality it would be hard to prove.

As I have already said, in a Mercedes with a foot and handle operated parking brake, I suspect very few bother with it. I doubt I will. :)

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
How can a car "creep" with your foot on the brake? If that's the case the brakes aren't roadworthy.
I'd stuggle to press the accelerator with my foot on the brake too!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Most new cars will not respond to the throttle at all if the foot brake is pressed, the 230 will not neither will the 216, try it on any post 2003 designed car, foot on brake and try and rev the engine.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
How can a car "creep" with your foot on the brake? If that's the case the brakes aren't roadworthy.
I'd stuggle to press the accelerator with my foot on the brake too!

If your foot is kncoked off the brake in a shunt, it could but in reality it would creep forward about walking pace for about 3 secs before the driver got control of it.

if its given a proper whack from behind, I doubt its creeping at all, feet or not on the pedal.

The parking brake won't hold a car if its hit from behind anyway.

leave in D, end of

Carabosse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On all my autos (with conventional handbrake) to date, I use the handbrake when the car is stationary if I want to rest my right leg for a bit after a longish spell of continuous driving. It's a personal thing in that sense.

I doubt I'll be doing it if I have to fiddle with a pedal and then a handle, though. Reamins to be seen!

b1g1an

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG
...and that's the whole point of HOLD, once I perfected the technique I use it all the time. Come to a halt, press the pedal down further, feet off until it's time to go.

My last flirtation with automatics was over ten years ago and I religiously put the handbrake on and stuck it in neutral at traffic lights as I assumed it did more harm than good leaving it in drive, same principle as holding the clutch pedal down. Only this time around have I seen all the recommendations that the opposite is true and am now converted but do feel embarrassment at having the brake lights on all the time as I always considered that was a sign of a bone idle, inconsiderate driver!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom