driving tests

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I have to admit i feel very sorry for my youngest daughter. She had two driving tests cancelled during lockdowns, and she has just had her first test, which we waited nearly a year for, she failed, so she now has to wait again until February, which was first test available in our part of the south east.
She wants to train to be an Ambulance technician, but has to have held a full driving licence for a year before she can apply, we also live in a village where work for youngsters is at a premium, she had a job as a kitchen assistant, but the place folded after last lockdown, she now has to travel to the next village where she works in a small shop, so has to rely on Mum and Dad as there is not a bus service.
To add insult to injury, if she does not pass a test before next December (2022) she will have to do the theory test again, which is more cost. The way things are, she will only get two tests in that time, and most young drivers are taking 4 to pass.
It all just seems so unfair on her, she drives nearly every day as good old dad bought her a little Toyota Aygo, as driving lessons are also thin on the ground, and at nearly £30 and hour, a bit pricey. She drives very well, but got nervous and flustered on her first test, which lasted about 10 minuets and the examiner brought her back as she had failed, he told her to follow satnav from the test centre, then started waving his arms about at a junction saying it was a difficult one, she did not know whether to follow what he was saying or the satnav, so got it all wrong.

Moan over

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
4 tests to pass? Says something about the quality of driving school instruction or lack of practical practice.

Could explain the poor standards of driving we see all to often too.

When I was learning (admittedly some years ago) my parents would have me drive them everywhere we went. Built confidence and experience prior to the test.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I see loads of driving instructors and students on the industrial estate - new site with wide roads so is popular with motorbike, car, HGV (and was popular with trailer training as well...)

The standards are generally quite poor - instructors getting learners to practice emergency stops on restricted view bends and with other vehicles behind them. Instructors getting learners to park facing traffic with headlights on close to junctions.

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
I have to admit i feel very sorry for my youngest daughter. She had two driving tests cancelled during lockdowns, and she has just had her first test, which we waited nearly a year for, she failed, so she now has to wait again until February, which was first test available in our part of the south east.
She wants to train to be an Ambulance technician, but has to have held a full driving licence for a year before she can apply, we also live in a village where work for youngsters is at a premium, she had a job as a kitchen assistant, but the place folded after last lockdown, she now has to travel to the next village where she works in a small shop, so has to rely on Mum and Dad as there is not a bus service.
To add insult to injury, if she does not pass a test before next December (2022) she will have to do the theory test again, which is more cost. The way things are, she will only get two tests in that time, and most young drivers are taking 4 to pass.
It all just seems so unfair on her, she drives nearly every day as good old dad bought her a little Toyota Aygo, as driving lessons are also thin on the ground, and at nearly £30 and hour, a bit pricey. She drives very well, but got nervous and flustered on her first test, which lasted about 10 minuets and the examiner brought her back as she had failed, he told her to follow satnav from the test centre, then started waving his arms about at a junction saying it was a difficult one, she did not know whether to follow what he was saying or the satnav, so got it all wrong.

Moan over
I feel for your Daughter, my Katie iives in Ashford kent with her mum and stepdad and has had her test cancelled, got a test booked next month unless that gets cancelled too? Had lessons off her mum who is a very good driver, and professional lessons as well, she has a Ford Ka'2 and is hoping to get to Canterbury uni next year so having passed will give her independence in driving, but as a bus driver i do see bad instructions from driver schools and some are just appalling! Makes we wonder how on earth they do pass, and if so, how many have had bad habits passed on by instructors? And i can give a few incidents of instuctors blatently telling their pupils to do something which would result in a straight fail!

outsmartsmart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 A124 E320 Sportline
Is it worth travelling to another town/city for a test if can get it sooner?

I think the test is harder now than 'back in my day' (1980). The highway code was learnt by rote (same today but more obscure questions?), braking distances had a simple calculation that if you memorised it you couldn't get the numbers wrong (assuming you could do easy mental arithmetic of course). My 'bike test had me driving round local housing estate and examiner cutting through walkways. I knew the estate so knew where he was going to pop out which I think helped. In my car test I headed out the test centre into rush hour traffic so sat in that for quite a lot of it. Instructor asked me to 'turn my car around' so I did a 'U' turn (I was in my own Triumph Herald) and they went "I meant using forward and reverse gears" :D

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
They test is harder, for instance, my other daughter failed one of her tests as she did not observe a mini round a bout correctly, she asked where it was, and the examiner said where it was. we went to have a look as she was baffled. Looking at the road on approach, i could not see a round a bout, but there was some very faint marks in the road, it was one of those painted on and the paint had gone, she was failed for driving across it as she did not even see it, we even looked for a round a bout sign on the approach, but there was not one, we had to put it down to experience.

We have gone further from Hastings, as the next test is booked in Eastbourne, about an hours drive away.
If you look at the driving test centres, most have a pass rate of below 50%, all those kids that fail cant all be bad drivers, i just think the test is not that you can drive a car, its that you have to drive it perfectly, and being honest, how many of us do !!!

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
AND
I have to say that when i took my motorcycle test which was before 1970, it was same as above, if you went a little bit quickly, the examiner missed you !!!!
the emergency stop was when he walked out in front of you and held his hand up, but you could see him a long way off. I did my driving test in the early 70's, and it was all hand signals then, no theory test, just showed some pictures of road signs. I think i had it easy compared to todays kids.

flying haggis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 plate CLS shooting brake,2.2D SWMBO has 14 plate B class diesel

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646
AND
I have to say that when i took my motorcycle test which was before 1970, it was same as above, if you went a little bit quickly, the examiner missed you !!!!
the emergency stop was when he walked out in front of you and held his hand up, but you could see him a long way off. I did my driving test in the early 70's, and it was all hand signals then, no theory test, just showed some pictures of road signs. I think i had it easy compared to todays kids.
My motorcycle test was late 70's and basically using nearby roads that were in a figure of 8 configuration with the examiner stood near the middle of the 8. It was a requirement to pop a wheelie and go no-hands on the bits he couldn't see you on.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Flying Haggis, yep, we did that, however, as next test is so far away, we will only get there for a couple of times. I really just think they are to hard on the drivers, they do not give any leeway for them being really nervous, and knowing that if they fail, its going to be six months before they can try again.
At least with my eldest daughter, after she failed we had another test within weeks , it did take her four attempts, but some of her friends took more. I do not know why the standards are so low, they both seem to drive really well, but then again, i am their dad so a bit biased.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
My niece failed three times, usually through driving too fast. She frightens her dad, he won't get in the car with her.

It's not always the examiners fault, although proud parents usually believe it must be.

Top Bottom